Clutch problems - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > MINI Technical Forums > MINI Faults & Fixes > First Generation Faults & Fixes

First Generation Faults & Fixes MINI faults and fixes 2001 - 2006

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any one had clutch problems? ianouska First Generation Faults & Fixes 19 Dec 6th, 2012 06:34 PM
Clutch problems Glennlp First Generation Faults & Fixes 0 Apr 9th, 2011 08:30 PM
Clutch Problems? minimike1 First Generation MINI Cooper S 2 May 10th, 2010 07:05 PM
clutch problems alan abdilla General Discussion 1 Sep 30th, 2008 06:10 PM
HELP : Clutch Problems.... MINI-Morgan First Generation Faults & Fixes 3 Mar 23rd, 2005 12:12 PM

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 04:50 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 04:21 AM
United Kingdom
Angry Clutch problems

Wondering if anybody has had simular issues with their clutches.

I own a 2003 mini one, which has done 65000 miles. After 25000 miles the clutch went, which i was assured it was a fault with the clutch, but the warrenty was up so had to pay.

Now after 40000 miles the new one has just failed. wont go into gear whan clutch pedal is pushed, only goes into gear when revs match gear revs. and when i accelerate it is as if its in neutral. its a pain in the ass.

thats two clutches in 65000 miles. it can't be my driving as i take good care in driving it, never rest on the clutch, use handbrake on hills, etc.

HELP!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 16th, 2012, 08:10 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 05:21 AM
United Kingdom
i had exactly the same problem

my first clutch lasted 30k
second 10k
third 10k
and now im on my fourth

first clutch was genuine mini
second was a aftermarket but turned out was fitted wrong
third was also aftermarket and also turned out was fitted wrong
fourth is a genuine mini clutch and was fitted by someone who only deals with minis so it is fitted right now.

it turnes out a mini clutch is different to other clutches and mechanics tell you they have done it properly but if they dont know how to do a mini clutch chances are its fitted wrong. Just had to have a new gearbox due to the clutches fitted wrong aswell
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 12:11 PM
MINI2 Premium Member
MINI2 Senior

Male
Hey!

Just curious to know how a garage could fit a clutch wrong? My mini one is on just over 80.000 and is about to get a new clutch fitted, i did my home work on which garage to use BUT any garage i spoke to did not have a problem with fitting the actual clutch which all said was a very quick job indeed, it was the actual stripping down the mini to get to the clutch that some admitted to not having done so the labour would be more to say a garage that had done it 3 or 4 times now. If the clutch was not fitted proper and only lasted 10.000 would you not feel something was wrong? surely for a clutch that should infact last many 10.000's of miles fail at such a short time would show signs? My clutch at the moment is ok and i can still drive the Mini but the vibration i feel on the pedal is getting worse so have decided to get it fixed before it just goes on us.

----------------------------------
I love my Mini more than my wife
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 05:48 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom
There is absolutely nothing unusual about the clutch on a mini. The biggest problem with the mini clutch is that there is not physically room for a bigger clutch. Ideally it should be about 20mm bigger diameter but there just isn't room. Hence early clutch wear.
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 10:40 PM
ghv
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
I have just replaced the clutch, and in my experience it differs to others that I have tackled in that the input shaft from the gearbox is not supported in a bearing in the crank end. No major problem, but it does require a different technique in centering the friction plate during assembly.
I had the release bearing fail at 61K but the actual clutch was in very good condition with many thousands of miles left in it.
So much dismantling to do before and assembling after the actual clutch change!
Out of interest it cost me 60

Alan
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 11:02 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 12:21 AM
United States
I had a 2002 which I changed the clutch in twice myself and some of the discussion here seems a little off to me. One... my original clutch went out at about 45,000 miles which is a little premature, but I also have 4 sons who swear, SWEAR they never abused it! (smirk on that one) so ok, 45,000 miles on the factory clutch is likely from at lease SOME abuse and let that go. The replacement clutch was an expensive SPEC model, but through my own stubborness I did not resurface the flywheel thinking "it looks fine". That was a big mistake and for a number of good solid scientific reasons I will not go into here. But, suffice to say that's my first question on these replacement clutches that only lasted 10,000 miles, i.e. was the flywheel resurfaced?

As far as the clutch assembly being "different" and alignment issues due to no bearing supporting the front end of the gear box shaft, this is partially true, but my 2002 also had nice little dowell pins making alignment a no brainer and the entire assembly slipped right together with no other issues.

Proper torque is critical, both on the flywheel and the pressure plate assembly.

Regarding labor involved with getting to the clutch, again only partially true. If you're doing it completely by the book and it's your first time, yes it's pretty labor intensive, but... having done it twice and spent some time discussing it with others who had done it before me, there are several short cuts not in the manual and which are perfectly fine so long as you're mindful of what you're doing. I found the disassembly to get to it the replacement and the reassembly to be something like a 5-7 hour job and that's doing it in my home garage with only hobbiest tools.
Old Mar 25th, 2012, 08:32 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom
Not having a spigot bearing or bush is standard set-up in any transverse engined car. No bearing is required beacause the input shaft is a single solid shaft, unlike in older type vehicles with an in-line engine/gearbox layout. I'm afraid resurfacing flywheels is a complete red herring, unless severe scorching has taken place a solid flwheel should last a minimum of100k, and normal twice that. In fact removing any flywheel surface on a modern vehicle can create other clutch problems. mini clutches are designed and manufactured by the same companies as every other popular make. Although some people have been very unlucky with low clutch mileage, I don't get asked to quote for mini clutches anywhere near as much as other popular cars. (and where I live they're VERY popular!)5-7 hours about right by the way!
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 11:55 PM
ghv
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
My first time on the MINI clutch and I spent probably twice as long! but I was cleaning bits up on the way! (and trying to follow the useless Haynes Manual)
I foung the friction surfaces of the flywheel and pressure plate to be totally unmarked with the original machining marks present.

Alan
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 07:42 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
I am a mechanic and you really can't fit the clutch wrong. In my opinion the release bearing is just not up to the job as with all the mini clutches we have fitted it has been the bearing that has failed. We have sold many mini's and most have had a new clutch before they leave the forcourt. Supergav.
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 08:36 PM
MINI2 Premium Member
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
Quote: Originally Posted by ghv (original)
(and trying to follow the useless Haynes Manual)

Alan

Have you sent them an e mail, they value comments from users? so it says
Old Aug 25th, 2012, 09:05 AM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
The REAL meaning of the Haynes Manual instructions:

Haynes: Rotate anticlockwise.
Translation: Clamp with molegrips then beat repeatedly with hammer anticlockwise. You do know which way is anticlockwise, don't you?

Haynes: Should remove easily.
Translation: Will be corroded into place ... clamp with adjustable spanner then beat repeatedly with a hammer.

Haynes: This is a snug fit.
Translation: You will skin your knuckles! ... Clamp with adjustable spanner then beat repeatedly with hammer.

Haynes: This is a tight fit.
Translation: Not a hope in hell matey! ... Clamp with adjustable spanner then beat repeatedly with hammer.

Haynes: As described in Chapter 7...
Translation: That'll teach you not to read through before you start, now you are looking at scary photos of the inside of a gearbox.

Haynes: Pry...
Translation: Hammer a screwdriver into...

Haynes: Undo...
Translation: Go buy a tin of WD40 (industrial size).

Haynes: Ease ...
Translation: Apply superhuman strength to ...

Haynes: Retain tiny spring...
Translation: "Crikey what was that, it nearly had my eye out"!

Haynes: Press and rotate to remove bulb...
Translation: OK - that's the glass bit off, now fetch some good pliers to dig out the bayonet part and remaining glass shards.

Haynes: Lightly...
Translation: Start off lightly and build up till the veins on your forehead are throbbing then re-check the manual because what you are doing now cannot be considered "lightly".

Haynes: Weekly checks...
Translation: If it isn't broken don't fix it!

Haynes: Routine maintenance...
Translation: If it isn't broken... it's about to be!

Haynes: One spanner rating (simple).
Translation: Your Mum could do this... so how did you manage to botch it up?

Haynes: Two spanner rating.
Translation: Now you may think that you can do this because two is a low, tiny, ikkle number... but you also thought that the wiring diagram was a map of the Tokyo underground (in fact that would have been more use to you).

Haynes: Three spanner rating (intermediate).
Translation: Make sure you won't need your car for a couple of days and that your AA cover includes Home Start.

Haynes: Four spanner rating.
Translation: You are seriously considering this aren't you, you pleb!

Haynes: Five spanner rating (expert).
Translation: OK - but don't expect us to ride it afterwards!!!
Translation #2: Don't ever carry your loved ones in it again and don't mention it to your insurance company.

Haynes: If not, you can fabricate your own special tool like this...
Translation: Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Haynes: Compress...
Translation: Squeeze with all your might, jump up and down on, swear at, throw at the garage wall, then search for it in the dark corner of the garage whilst muttering "******" repeatedly under your breath.

Haynes: Inspect...
Translation: Squint at really hard and pretend you know what you are looking at, then declare in a loud knowing voice to your wife "Yep, as I thought, it's going to need a new one"!

Haynes: Carefully...
Translation: You are about to cut yourself!

Haynes: Retaining nut...
Translation: Yes, that's it, that big spherical blob of rust.

Haynes: Get an assistant...
Translation: Prepare to humiliate yourself in front of someone you know.

Haynes: Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal.
Translation: But you swear in different places.

Haynes: Prise away plastic locating pegs...
Translation: Snap off...

Haynes: Using a suitable drift or pin-punch...
Translation: The biggest nail in your tool box isn't a suitable drift!

Haynes: Everyday toolkit
Translation: Ensure you have an RAC Card & Mobile Phone

Haynes: Apply moderate heat...
Translation: Placing your mouth near it and huffing isn't moderate heat.
Translation #2: Heat up until glowing red, if it still doesn't come undone use a hacksaw.

Haynes: Apply moderate heat...
Translation: Unless you have a blast furnace, don't bother. Clamp with adjustable spanner then beat repeatedly with hammer.

Haynes: Index
Translation: List of all the things in the book bar the thing you want to do!

Haynes: Remove oil filter using an oil filter chain spanner or length of bicycle chain.
Translation: Stick a screwdriver through it and beat handle repeatedly with a hammer.

Haynes: Replace old gasket with a new one.
Translation: I know I've got a tube of Krazy Glue around here somewhere.

Haynes: Grease well before refitting.
Translation: Spend an hour searching for your tub of grease before chancing upon a bottle of washing-up liquid. Wipe some congealed washing up liquid from the dispenser nozzle and use that since it's got a similar texture and will probably get you to Halfords to buy some Castrol grease.

Haynes: See illustration for details
Translation: None of the illustrations notes will match the pictured exploded, numbered parts. The unit illustrated is from a previous or variant model.

Do it by the book - the real meaning of Haynes instructions
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 08:27 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom
Quote: Originally Posted by Supergav (original)
I am a mechanic and you really can't fit the clutch wrong. In my opinion the release bearing is just not up to the job as with all the mini clutches we have fitted it has been the bearing that has failed. We have sold many mini's and most have had a new clutch before they leave the forcourt. Supergav.

Yep this is the same bearing as used in most peugeot/citroens. Guess which bit of the clutch usually fails first on these cars?
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 08:10 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Problems with Clutch

I have had similar problems..only worse!!!

My clutch died after only 9000 miles! The dealer told me it was my fault and refused to help pay. Its going to cost me over $3000 for fix. I called Customer Relations and they were very unhelpful. The only people who drive my car is my wife and myself. We've driven manual cars our entire lives, have owned multiple makers/cars, and have never anywhere near this kind of problem.

This is our first Mini and will be our last unfortunately. It's very disappointing that Mini doesn't recognize a problem in manufacturing when it exists and is uninterested in customer satisfaction. The result is I will tell anyone who asks to stay clear.
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 01:59 AM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom
$3,000 to do the clutch? I know manual cars are not the norm in the U.S, But that really is crazy money!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement