MINI Cooper Forum banner

HELP PDC control module location

24K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Neelyboy 
#1 ·
Hi there, I have a 2005 mini cooper convertible which unfortunatly has a fault with the PDC (parking distance control). My garage has told me I need to replace the control module/unit and luckily I managed to order one from a breakers yard.....but for not for love norr money can I find where this little box is in the convertible. I have been told it is in the boot of the ordinary cooper.

Can anyone please help??! :confused:

#6 ·
I've just replaced my PDC module (£15 from Ebay) and I can confirm the places that it is normally fitted. In early models (mine is a 2003) it is behind the small side panel on the RHS of the boot, but, it is well hidden! I looked there first of all, didn't see it and asked the Ebay Mini-breaker where he found them.

He said it is either where I found it - or behind the two side-panels that house the rear speakers. Those can be removed enough to have a good look by removing the rear seat lower bolster (just pull the front of it upwards) and then levering with a trim-tool at the B-pillar. Each are held in place with a number of push-fit fixing - these come out with a good 'crack', and often fall apart. You will get it far enough off to have a look behind it - mine wasn't there.

So after not finding it I had a better look in the RHS cubby and there it was. The connectors are removed by pressing where the RED circle is and then pulling across the securing lock (marked in yellow).

Actually getting out the old module is fiddly with one accessible bolt, and one tucked around the front edge - for a 15 year old car I decided to fit the new module on top with silicone - and then reconnected making sure that the connectors were the correct way around (the new module has two black sockets whereas the old module had one black and one white to match the plugs)

...and that was it, really a five-minute job with no screwing or bolting - and it worked mine.

While I'm here - the inner two PDC sensors can be easily reached without removing the bumper (which is what I did when I chenged one a while ago). Instead, just remove the two screws that are at the top edge where the bumper meets the boot aperture. That gives enough room to get a hand in there and replace the PDC units.

The edge sensors are harder to reach - but made quite simple by removing the two fixings under the wheel-arch trims.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.