MINI Cooper Forum banner

Mini One Remote Key Issues

16K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  minithimble 
#1 · (Edited)
Superb forum guys for those that are mini mad, loads of good info on here.

I have looked over this forum for a couple of days now and whilst you have loads of info on key issues I cannot find exactly what I am looking for so I am hoping someone can help.

I have just bought a 2002 (52 Plate) Mini One that has Cooper S styling for my daughter.

The car came with 2 keys, one with a remote fob and a plain one with no remote.

The problem I have is that when you press the remote the doors and boot all lock and the indicators flash, the alarm does not come on.

The unlock button will not open the doors no matter how many times it is pressed, I can open the doors by turning the actual key in the door lock once for drivers side and turning it again opens all the doors.

If I use the key to lock the car then the central locking activates and the alarm comes on, the red light on the washer stalk flashes fast then settles to a slow flash every couple of seconds.

If I now try to unlock the car with the remote it wont work, but if I use the key, it unlocks the doors but does not switch off the alarm, I have to open the door and put the key into the ignition to silence the alarm which activates when I open the door.

The spare key does the same but obviously without the remote functions.

Anyone have any idea what the problem might be, the key has 2 buttons, I am assuming that operating the remote should operate the central locking and arm the alarm and vice versa

Anyone any ideas please

See less See more
#2 ·
My drivers door don't unlock but it does lock. This is due to the actuator in the door. It needs to be changed but I don't have the time for it just yet. This could be the same with yours but with both doors. But that still doesn't leave a awnser for the alarm not turning off.
If you sit in the car and push the lock button does the doors lock? And when you turn off your engine does the doors open?
After 12 mph the central locking should lock. ( anti theft ).
If none of this work it could be both actuadors in both doors have had it?
Wait for a few more answers before doing anything doe as I may be wrong.

#6 ·
Ok I bought a brand new drivers door lock and fitted it this afternoon. Whilst it was fiddly, I follwed the thread posted on here and I managed to do it no problem.:biggrin:

Guess what nothing has changed, it has made no difference whatsoever and the door is still behaving in the same way, so now i dont have any idea.

Is there anything else anyone could think it may be ?

#7 ·
Wow sorry to hear that. Fuses? Units that power the door actuadors. Try reaserching these? Is there any codes coming up? Can you get a test done from a local garage ?
I once read some lady had her boyfriend do the same problem and it didn't work and he reset the ecu witch then done it
It's so easy to do, try this first?
Were about are you?

#8 ·
Thanks for your help James

Been to the dealers today and they say it has to be put on thier computer for them to find out whats wrong, but since I have relkaced the drivers door lock they reckon its either the key or the alarm sensor, any one know where the alarm sensor would be and how its powered. ?

The door remote works sometimes then it wont, and the key works sometimes and then it wont, very strange

#14 · (Edited)
I've done work on these keys for myself and another person who is on the North American Motoring forums. I've tried to post the pictures and information here at MINI2 but my posts seem to generate an error message. I will try again soon but for now, do a Google search for this phrase:

Electrical: First Generation Key Refurbishment

And the first hit for me was my thread about the early, clamshell type keys. I believe that there is some rule about not posting links to other forums.

Anyway, from that thread you can see that these keys can wear over time, both the cases and the actual button switches themselves. They can be fixed by somebody with soldering knowledge and experience. If you would be willing to send your key to me I can fit it in a new case if it is worn and for your key I would probably recommend replacing the switches as well as the battery. Even with shipping from the U.K. I can refurbish your key cheaper than you can buy a new one at the dealer. I will diagnose the key functions to see if it is actually sending out a radio signal when the buttons are pressed. I won't do repairs and won't charge you if I determine that the radio signal is not present.

Let me know if you want me to have a go at repairing your remote key.

Thanks-

Val

Addendum: If you want to do some diagnosis yourself, you can take your key apart and see if the LED on the circuit board lights up when you press either of the buttons. If it doesn't that switch is probably bad, if it does that switch may be intermittent or the part of the case that actually pushes the buttons may be missing. Any of these problems are things I can further diagnose and fix.

#13 ·
Could be the battery youre right, but if it works sometimes and not others it could also be where the car is parked, such items as radio transmission aerials and mobile phone masts in the vicinity can affect the signal from the key sometimes and block it?
If the key is the same as the 2007 models onwards, dont know myself as Ive a Gen 2, assuming yours is a Gen 1? the key battery is rechargeable when its put into the dock, you can only replace the battery in the key if the car has the convenience opening option fitted, if its just standard you cant replace the battery so I gather if its giving problems its a new key on those.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.