MINI Cooper Forum banner

1st Generation One engine warning light

12K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  mrlines 
#1 ·
Hi people, I bought my wife a used MINI One (89k, '03) on Friday 2nd November.

Yesterday, the engine warning light came on. I didn't get chance to check it out, she told me:
The light came on before refuelling.
It stayed on after fuelling, the car felt like it would stall at any moment.

She didn't use it today, I returned from work to test it and I will be buying a code reader tomorrow.
On driving, the car is low on power, with weak acceleration. I suspect it is in Limp Home Mode.
The light has remained on.
The power delivery seemed to be erratic and I felt as if the car could cut out at any time. I coasted back into the estate and it juddered on idle. I booted the revs up to park it on my drive. The idle continued to splutter, but then it settled and ran smooth.

Any early speculation is welcome. I will keep people posted RE fault codes.

#3 ·
That is exactly what the code scanner I bought said-

"SSF20381 0130 o2 Sensor"

However, when I tried to remove the code, the scanner said it had removed it, but each subsequent check threw up the same code. I presumed from the stuff I've used before that with the ignition on but the engine not running I would be able to remove the code.

Could the scanner be faulty?

Ta.

#5 ·
UPDATE:

I replaced the front lambda sensor and the dash light has gone out. The car runs nicely again.

But...

the error code still remains, even though I have tried to erase it several times with the code reader.

The code reader tells me that the code is erased, but then it reads again and registers the fault code.

Help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.