MINI Cooper Forum banner

2002 Cooper S R53 Fan relay resistor dorman 902-706?

5K views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  Toymaker23 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

My UK 2002 Cooper S has been over heating, changed the top tank pressure cap and that seemed to fix it for a while and both fan speeds were kicking in but nothing now low or high. Then noticed a leak on the Rad so changed that. With the rad off I could see the resistor on the fan looked shot.

I had trouble years ago with the power steering fan being jammed and as both are on the same relay the fuse blew and the main fan was not kicking in causing the overheat problems. Checked the fuse and its fine this time. Also checked the fan conector with a meter and the resistor seems to be dead.

After some research spoke to a guy in US at Detroit tuning who said rather than buying the whole fan unit I could use the dorman 902-706 relay and solder it in. Now I have seen these on other sites but they say they are for 2003 on. He said you can use on 2002 mini and have to wire it as shown in their instructions using the guides for the two connector fan version.

The PDF can be found at detroit tuning under the dorman 902-706. Sorry as not allowed to post URL.

I see this relay has a green wire, one red and a red and black.

Just checked mine from the underside of the biggest plug which has two red and what I think is a grey or bluish grey wire. Just want to make sure this gonna work before I start stripping it down. Hoping someone has some advice on matching these different colours. The guide also says that the green wire is not needed not sure if this is for the single or dual plug fan.

Cheers,

Toymaker

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.