MINI Cooper Forum banner

Key Fob Problems (Help)

129K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  tinytmpizwjp 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone

I dont know if anyone might be able to help me or give me any suggestions on what to do? :)

I have a mini one 2011 (05 plate). Last year i starting having problems with the key fob, it wouldnt let me open and close the car by fob so im having to use it manually, which i need to solve the problem if i sell the car in the future.

I rang the local mini garage and all they could suggest was that i buy a new key for £150.00 which is a ridiculous price to pay for just a key.
So i rang other garages and luckily enough the garage i go to for Services,MOT etc said they could re-code the key for only £30.00 which is better than £150.00.

So the key was fine and working until earlier this month then the problem occured again.

so i dont know if the problem is due to electrical faults with the car or the key as the key just cant keep the code as im having to have it re-coded.

Can anyone suggest anything please :)

Thanks (MiniOne2011)

See less See more
#5 ·
Reply to both - Key Fob Problems

Its a 2005 Mini One not 2011 -

Picture of the exact key is attached.

My partner had the same idea maybe if we replaced the battery so he took the spare key apart but that wasnt the case its still faulty. So then we took it to the garage they re-coded the key as they said the key must of just de-coded itself, and 6 months later the keys has de-coded itself and im still stuck on what to do with the key.

Mini dealers all they could suggest was to get a new key for £150.00 which i think is a total rip off just for a key.

I dont know if the key is faulty or something electrical is faulty with the key ignition? im not a car person so i havent got a clue just after some suggestions on whats best to do :)

Im very grateful for your suggestions.

Attachments

#7 ·
key re-coding guide

Thanks mab01UK - :) i will try this one also.

I started browsing the net of any solutions to key repairing and have been emailing someone whom repairs keys or re-codes them. He emailed me a guide which is for BMW but also compatible with Mini's so this weekend going to see if it works (Fingers crossed)

Here is the link if anyone has the similar problem to mine.

BMW Guides.
X5, E46, E38 & E39 Diamond Shaped Key
To carry out this procedure you need to have one working key and one key which requires programming. Please read on if you do not have a working key as this is also covered further down. It may help sometimes to hold the key close to the rear view mirror as this is where the sensor is located in most models.
1. With both keys, get in the car and close all windows and doors.
2. Put working key into the ignition and turn to position 1 (the accessories should turn on)
3. Turn the key back to position 0 and take the key out of the ignition.
4. Using the working key, hold down the unlock button, press the BMW logo (lock button) 3 times, and release the unlock button. Doors should lock and unlock.
5. With the new key, hold down the unlock button and press the BMW logo (lock button) 3 times and let go of the unlock button. Doors should lock and unlock and you're done!!
Alternate Procedure:
1. Switch ignition on and off within 5 seconds, with all doors closed.
2. Take key out of ignition and press unlock button. Hold unlock button whilst pressing the lock button 3 times, all within 10 seconds.
3. Release unlock button.
4. The system recognises re-programming by locking and immediately unlocking the doors.
5. You have to do your other keys within 30 seconds after reprogramming your first key by following steps 2,3 & 4 only.
Alternate procedure if above doesn't work or if you do not have a working remote:
1. Turn key to position 1 five times very quickly
2. Remove key
3. Hold unlock button then press lock button 3 times, release unlock button.
4. If you have another key do the same button pressing within 30 seconds
5. Turn on ignition to finalize
Older 3 Button Key (E36, E38, E39)
Remote Key Re-Initialise - If a key fails to operate remotely, it will have to be re-initialised (all keys in sequence at the same time)

1. Get in and close all doors
2. Turn the ignition on & off quickly (no more than 5 seconds) to start the process. Next action must take place within 30 seconds
3. First key - hold down button #2 (unlock - on the bottom left with the key blade pointing up) while striking button #1 (lock - the BMW logo) three times. Release button #2. This should be confirmed by door lock operation.
4. If you have more than 1 key then you need to repeat for the other keys within 30 seconds of first or they will be rendered inactive.
5. After last key then cycle the ignition on/off to finalise the process (it is not necessary to start the engine).

Both keys should now have new randomly selected security code words - assigned by the car's system.
Those codes will be continuously incremented within the new sequence each time you hit a button. It is when they get out of sequence with the car that they loose the capability to be recognised and you then have to do this again.

This occurs when you take longer than 1 minute changing the battery, or if you hit the buttons more than 1000 times when it is out of range of the car.

#16 ·
re-code the key

The link which tells you how to re-code the key (Below) tried this and a number of others and still doesnt work. :(

Can anybody suggest anyother solutions?

Insert the ignition key and turn from position II (Ignition) to position 0 (All off) and back four times within three seconds.Remove the ignition key. The locking control system is now in "learn mode" for the next 20 seconds and the red warning system LED (By the clock) stays on continuously to indicate this.During the 20 seconds press one of the transmitter buttons. The remotes signal and code number is learned by the locking module and is indicated by flashing the warning system LED.Wait until learn mode times out (20 seconds) or switch the ignition back to ON.

#9 ·
Had a similar problem with my keys, one of them stopped working.

I rang stealers and they said I had to take car in for diagnostics! Ker-Ching!
I managed to re-program the non-working key but the other stopped working.
Just seen this post and managed to re-program both keys successfully so happy days!
Ta very much :D

#10 ·
Minione2011 did you get a fix to your key problem? I would be very interested to know the outcome as my mini cooper 05 has developed the same fault.
Suddenly one key stopped working on remote, so opened door manually and then turned off the alarm by turning on ignition. Since then both keys I have do not work on remote. I have tried programming keys used methods mentioned above but no joy. I took the car to independent BMW repair garage who did a system test and advised that they could find no fault. They then contacted main dealer who recommended replacing key, which seems odd to me that both keys should suddenly be faulty. Apparently the receiver located in the mirror are rarely changed.
There seems many threads on the forum regarding this issue but few replies which tell how they fixed the problem other then when the key re-programming works.
Any replies would be most welcome.

#11 ·
Further to my last reply, I decided to buy a new key from dealer at a cost of £126 to see if that fixed the problem. But no luck as that was not the fault, as I suspected, the key would not program to the car so now have 3 keys!
I have decided I have now no choice but to book it in with dealer who will now charge £75 to electronically test the system to find the fault plus cost of replacement parts and fitting!! Not good!
I would try to fix it myself if I knew what the problem is but it seems it maybe the receiver in the rear view mirror or another control unit else where. So could spend more time and money buying and fitting parts I don't need. Any views on this out there?

#15 ·
I had this issue with both keys on my R53 (2006). There were a few different solutions on the web, but this one worked for me...

if you do not have a working remote:
*Turn key to position 1 five times very quickly.
*Remove key.
*Hold unlock button, then press lock button 3 times. Release unlock button.
*If you have another key, perform the same button-pressing sequence within 30 seconds.
*Turn on ignition to finalize.

#17 ·
I have a quick question about all this.. i had a 2001 IS that was totaled and just recently picked up a 2002.. when i got the new car it only came with one master key and a valet.. is it possible for me to use one of the master keys i have from the old car on the new car with this whole programming thing??

#18 ·
Last summer I had a problem with the ignition key not being released when the gear stick was put into park. I could turn the engine off but the key would go no further. I used to hear a click in the steering column and the key would come out with no problem. Then occasionally it didn't click and so wouldn't come out. It got gradually worse so took it to Parkland Locksmith who said it was the connection to the solenoid. I put the car in and they adjusted it.

#21 ·
you can buy the keys straight from bmw not to expensive or on ebay company's on there who repair them common buttons and battery go south under £50

#22 ·
O . K yesterday both key fobs worked great.could lock, unlock and open the rear barn door on my 2011 mini Cooper clubman,1.6 n-16 with automatic transmission. Today my main key would not function ( locking and unlocking and auto open rear barn door ) unless I'm standing a distance of 1-2' away from the driver's side door or headlight. My mini is for the U. S so it is left hand steering while sitting in the driver's seat. Does any one know why this happens. And any fixes would be a great help. My mini looks just like the one pictured on the sites header,except mine is a clubman
Any help would be great
Thanks from across the pond

#29 ·
Sorry about the confusion crazyforcooper, that was all meant for tmje1966. “…key song stay in fod…” I couldn’t figure it out.

I don’t think your key fob has a replaceable battery, from what I’ve read elsewhere on this site. That could be wrong, your Owner’s Manual should tell you for sure.

I did a quick search with duckduckgo using the search term “2011 MINI Cooper key fob won’t unlock doors” and there’s lots of articles and videos, yours seems to be a common issue.

Unfortunately I don’t have any experience with the second generation key fobs, but on things like this YouTube usually saves me from a big repair bill!

#31 ·
Hi Everyone

I dont know if anyone might be able to help me or give me any suggestions on what to do? :)

I have a mini one 2011 (05 plate). Last year i starting having problems with the key fob, it wouldnt let me open and close the car by fob so im having to use it manually, which i need to solve the problem if i sell the car in the future.

I rang the local mini garage and all they could suggest was that i buy a new key for £150.00 which is a ridiculous price to pay for just a key.
So i rang other garages and luckily enough the garage i go to for Services more,MOT etc said they could re-code the key for only £30.00 which is better than £150.00.

So the key was fine and working until earlier this month then the problem occured again.

so i dont know if the problem is due to electrical faults with the car or the key as the key just cant keep the code as im having to have it re-coded.

Can anyone suggest anything please :)

Thanks (MiniOne2011)
Things are clearing up. raine, are you counting your valet key? Would that make it 5 transponder keys then? The only good info I've found on this matter comes from the Titan forum. The max number of keys they're coming up with is 5. Which would seem to line up with the limit I've reached with keyless entry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.