MINI Cooper Forum banner

Water leak from rear view mirror (and surrounding area)?

17K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  k3fus 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 2003 MINI Cooper S R53.

When it rains I have a water leak coming from the Rear View Mirror and the surrounding area (also coming from by the module for the remote/central locking).

The windscreen is original as far as I can tell as it has the BMW/MINI Branding.

The car does NOT have a sunroof.

I do park my car on a downwards incline because my drive is on an incline.

Any idea where else this can be coming from? Is there any type of seal on or around the aerial section?

Would it be likely for an original windscreen to cause this?

Really need to get this sorted before the weather starts getting worse

All help appreciated!

See less See more
#3 ·
I've the same issue and it happened only recently 3 years into ownership.
Mine's a LCI R57, each time the sky pours, I've a leaking rearview mirror.
I've sent in to the dealer 3 times this month and each time they say they can't find any issues, they did say they replace some rubber seals and asked me to monitor.

I've also ran out of ideas on what I should do..............

#4 ·
The most obvious suspects for leakage around the rear view mirror area are a) arial; b) sunroof; and c) windscreen.

When a windscreen is replaced, a lot of the numpty fitters will stand up a bead of adhesive which is simply not high enough to make contact as they reach over to apply it. This is compounded further by having to do a side at a time, ergo: there will be a join butted up in the middle, right over where the mirror is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.