post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2014, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 12:16 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

R53 oil pressure light

Hi.

I have a 2003 Mini Cooper S. After driving the car for about 10mins the oil pressure warning light will come on when at idle. It then goes out if the revs come up. Driving it further the rpm which the light comes on at increases up to 2000rpm.

If I turn the car off for even just minutes the problem goes away until I have been driving for another 10mins.

Anybody have any idea what this could be.

I'm thinking it could be the pressure relief valve??

Obviously I have check the oil level which is ok and also replaced with new.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2015, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thumbs up Same issue

Hello barcs86,
Since yesterday, I'll face exactly the same issue. I check the oil level, add some (now, the gauge is upper the max graduation), check the oil filter housing (nothing missing or gone - plastic guide/springs) and... the light still come on, as soon as the car runs under 2000rpms !!!
Did you find something ? I think I will replace the pressure sensor... (but half hearted... since it's just a contact with a ball and a spring)
Let me know please, if you find something. Cheers (and good luck ;-)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2015, 04:39 PM
MINI2 Privilege Member
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 01:16 AM
Quoted: 52 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

It could of course be just worn out engine bearings?
The oil reaches a certain temperature, its thinner, lower oil pressure, the light comes on, it does happen in the end.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2015, 05:22 PM
MINI2 Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcs86 View Post
Hi.

I have a 2003 Mini Cooper S. After driving the car for about 10mins the oil pressure warning light will come on when at idle. It then goes out if the revs come up. Driving it further the rpm which the light comes on at increases up to 2000rpm.

If I turn the car off for even just minutes the problem goes away until I have been driving for another 10mins.

Anybody have any idea what this could be.

I'm thinking it could be the pressure relief valve??

Obviously I have check the oil level which is ok and also replaced with new.

Thanks
Hi, as titi38 mentions, I would jump on the Oil Pressure Switch first. They are very basic, but carbon build up can cause a problem. Obviously good oil and a regular filter change is very important, especially on older engines, its not just about the mileage, time in service matters too! Pressure release valve would also be a good investigation, I have never had a problem with BMW Mini's, but with the old A and B Engines of the past Mini and MG, I have had similar issues. Apart from an electrical issue, the other factor could be a lazy oil pump. You could check to see if your Valve gear is nice and wet with oil, if not it is most likely a problem with the oil not getting to where it needs to be.............low pressure or restriction.

Good luck, make sure you post your findings!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.