Flooded 'REAR' footwell <SOLVED> - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > MINI Technical Forums > MINI Faults & Fixes > First Generation Faults & Fixes

First Generation Faults & Fixes MINI faults and fixes 2001 - 2006

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MCS Clubman rear parking distance control juge Second Generation Faults & Fixes 1 Dec 14th, 2013 03:12 PM
Mini molded rear bumper paint guard protectors Rich@RPG Rear Paint Guards 3 Oct 21st, 2013 08:41 PM
Rear right brake sticking / dragging kingg47 First Generation MINI Cooper 0 Jul 1st, 2013 11:22 PM
Rear Brake Disc corroded on inboard side jasonofbillinge Wheels, Tyres & Brakes 1 Jun 9th, 2013 06:03 PM

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 09:45 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 04:05 PM
United Kingdom
Thumbs up Flooded 'REAR' footwell <SOLVED>

Hi All

I have an R50 2001 Mini Cooper...

For weeks now, with the incessant rain, my rear passenger side footwell is completely flooded... not just damp, but absolutely flooded. The mats are absolutely sodden.

I did have a problem with water in the boot and read on the forum about the high level brake light seal... and sure enough mine was compromised, so I removed and refitted the seal and it seemed to cure the problem.

But I am at a loss where to start looking for a leak in the rear footwell as there is no openable window or door - so does anyone have any ideas? The only thing I could think of is through the high level brake light again if it is just running to one side?

Oh, the other thing my daughter noticed when in the back was that the back seat was damp... but I cant believe its coming through the boot seal onto the seat and then only into the passenger footwell.

I was thinking about removing the high level brake light seal and replacing with a bead of silicon sealant as used in bathrooms.

Has anyone else had this, or any thoughts where to start?

Last edited by SlipMat; Mar 14th, 2014 at 01:02 PM. Reason: vehicle details added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 27th, 2014, 10:19 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Bump - any ideas?

This morning I came out and saw this...

[IMG][/IMG]

I also noticed that the rear seat felt reasonably dry except where it meets the upright section which comes up behind your legs and meets the seat when you sit in it... although the carpet on this vertical section is dry... I also checked the boot and this is dry so I dont think its the high level brake light.

Also, the carpet under the front seat feels dry!

Any advice on where to start would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by SlipMat; Feb 27th, 2014 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Additional info.
Old Feb 27th, 2014, 11:55 AM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 03:05 PM
United Kingdom Male
Hi ya

does you drivers window drop when you open it and lift when you close it.

if it does close the door get some masking tape run a tape line down the front of the window in line with the windscreen trim and one along the top below the roof line. open the door see how much the window drops. it should be 5mm along the top edge and about 3mm on the front edge from what i remember.

also get a bit of paper fold it in half put it between the door seal and where the window would come up against it close the door and you should feel a light but firm resistance as you pull the paper out

if the window is not dropping or lifting check your fuses in the passengers side foot well F19 left window motor

check your door seals are correctly fitted to

this is where i would start, i would also get a wet vac in there to ASAP or go the petrol station and use there big hover :-)

if you think it may be the high level brake light stick tape around it seal the gap to check it first i would not use a sealer personally as the trend to trap water and will cause more problems than you trying to fix and becomes more of a pain to remove

also check you aerial base is not loose as well

hope this helps
Old Feb 27th, 2014, 12:06 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Thanks Marque

Some good ideas there... yes the windows do drop as you open the door and rise once shut - but I will check the seal with some paper.

I dont think the high level brake light is the cause as the boot is completely dry now and has been for some time.

A colleague at work has suggested checking the drain holes at the bottom of the door is clear - so I will also look at this.

I read some more today on some other forums and several people suggest using an ultrasonic leak detector (or smoke pellets). I have found this and think I might get it anyway - but if anyone has used one before I would like to know how they got on...

Ultrasonic Leak Detector & Gas Air Water Tank Equivalent to PP4 GO NEXTDAY 3.99 | eBay
Old Feb 27th, 2014, 04:03 PM
MINI2 Premium Member
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
I saw them using something similar on Wheeler Dealers for a window leak that soaked the footwells on a DB7, smoke machine I think they used, and it was coming out round the door glass at the top between the glass seal and roof seal, his cure was a right bodge, stick some string behind the seal to make it thicker and press on the glass more, instead of fitting a new seal of course.
Old Feb 27th, 2014, 05:27 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
Quote: Originally Posted by SlipMat (original)
Thanks Marque

Some good ideas there... yes the windows do drop as you open the door and rise once shut - but I will check the seal with some paper.

I dont think the high level brake light is the cause as the boot is completely dry now and has been for some time.

A colleague at work has suggested checking the drain holes at the bottom of the door is clear - so I will also look at this.

I read some more today on some other forums and several people suggest using an ultrasonic leak detector (or smoke pellets). I have found this and think I might get it anyway - but if anyone has used one before I would like to know how they got on...

Ultrasonic Leak Detector & Gas Air Water Tank Equivalent to PP4 GO NEXTDAY 3.99 | eBay

Hi ya

No problem be careful, we use smoke pellets and smoke machines at work, and the smell lingers in the trim and seats so be careful.
tbh if you boot is dry I would not think it's the brake light, it may be the rubber trunking has come out that gies between the boot lid and the body.
But to get that far forward and that much I would say it's around the door seal area.
I would get it all cleaned up and get the hose pipe on it blast it round the window and door area, site inside with a torch and get someone outside with the hose

Do you have a sun roof ? also in the boot open up both access panels for the rear lights check in there for water in there.

Pop up your rear seat and check under there it my be coming in through the access hole for the fuel probe/pump

It's possible that the door drains are blocked but there are a few holes there. It's worth checking, the door panel is easy to get off.

http://www.mini2.com/forum/faq.php?f...aq_faq_removal

Hope this helps
Old Feb 27th, 2014, 06:26 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male
Yes as marque said get the hose out! And check the Access panels.
If water is coming in wilst the car is just sitting outside I would of thought the hose pipe would work for you.
Old Feb 27th, 2014, 08:18 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Thanks Marque & James... I reckon I have got quite enough to be going on with now

I took the plunge and bought a Sealey P44 Ultrasonic tester which is being delivered tomorrow. So if it does what it says then I hope it will find the problem.

I had a closer look at lunchtime today and pulled the passenger door seal off and there is signs of water under it - also when I opened the boot, where the plastic trim which runs around the inside of the bootlid joins at the corners there is signs of water there - when I moved it quite a lot came out, so it looks like the brake light is still leaking. I just cant believe that the water is travelling from the boot to the rear passenger footwell without getting the boot carpet wet.

At the weekend I will strip it right down as I replaced the interior for a half leather one when I bought the car, it shouldn't take too long to get the rear seats out - that way I can get a good look.

Thanks for the great advice and I'll let you all know how it goes
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 12:59 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
OK... got my ultrasonic tester and all the seals seem OK...

EXCEPT... when I probe anywhere near where the windscreen wiper arm goes through the rear windscreen to the motor the probe goes made - so it looks as though there is a leak here for sure...

Does anyone know if there is a replacement seal kit available and if it is hard to fit?

Thanks
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 01:04 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Wow - now I suspect the rear wiper, look what I found...

http://www.mini2.com/forum/3793630-post10.html
Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 07:09 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
OK - update and plea for help...

It wasn't only the wiper grommet... there is still a flood. Using a hose, I found the rear boot seal was leaking - so replaced that and that's good now...

But this morning another inch of water

So stripped the rear interior panel out and there is water sitting in the small gulley between the rear nearside window glass and the metalwork its bonded to... but even with a hose on the door I cant see where its getting in. Also in the gap where the inertia seatbelt unit is fitted, there is a water trail running down here too...

Any thoughts? Nearside door rubber - or could it be leaking between the car and the window?

Running out of patience now, so any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by SlipMat; Mar 3rd, 2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 08:12 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
More photos of water leak...

Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 08:20 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male
Is water coming in from around the back seat window? Or is it just sitting there
Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 08:22 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male
Sorry that last picture, where is that? I'm lost
Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 08:59 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Quote: Originally Posted by James burbidge (original)
Is water coming in from around the back seat window? Or is it just sitting there

The water seems to be running in from the front of the nearside rear window - closest to the door pillar. There is no water running down on the inside of the glass and it seems dry. See picture below;

Sponsored Links
Advertisement