MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 04:29 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United States

United-States 2003 Mini Cooper s. Misfire above 3000 rpm

Hey all,
I'm looking for some help. Recently bought an R53( 2003 Mini Cooper S). I bought it knowing it had a problem but I got a killer deal on it and figured I could fix it easy. The car starts up perfect every time, runs and idles fine. But starting at about 2800-3000 rpm and up to around 4000 rpm it has a constant misfire. This happens when sitting still or under load, it gets really bad under load, to the point where I can't even make it past 3000-3500 rpm. It won't throw a code until I go drive it around and push it really hard to misfire like crazy. After that it will throw a P0301,"cyl#1 misfire". I have already done a compression text, changed spark plugs, wires, I swapped the fuel injectors to different cylinders, checked for vacuum leaks, replaced both MAP sensors. With no change. I have already ordered a new coil pack and it's on it's way. If that doesn't change anything I'm moving on to the o2 sensors and catalytic converter. I also read a technical service bulletin that says 2003 has a software error that cause misfire between 3000-4000 rpm under high loads. I'm just curious of anyone else has had this problem, and what their fix for it was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2014, 07:40 PM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 12:29 AM
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

You've dne what I would of suggested. But yes O2 sensor can cause this.
Did you just change the leads? Or the coil pack itself
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2014, 07:43 PM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 11:29 PM

United Kingdom Male

Hi ya

I think it's your coil pack, it's a waisted spark system, if you want to check the coil pack pull the leads off the spark plugs, put a spare set of plugs in the ends of the leads spin the engine over, see which two fire at the same time then swap the leads round ie your no1 with its sister lead. Put it back together go for a drive see if the fault moves to its sister cylinder.
The coil packs do suffer from corrosion normally on the terminals for the plug leads, but I have known the coil packs to fail due to internal corrosion

Make shore the spark plugs a earthed and do not touch them

If any of the other sensors fail ie 02, map, TMAP, or cat you would end up with p0300 multiple misfire

Hope. This helps
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2014, 07:48 PM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 12:29 AM
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

+1
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2014, 07:53 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Ps... if you can buy an MSD coil pack, there better quality they have brass terminal and Innards, where the bmw mini one has steel and Nickel plated terminals

Hope this helps
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2014, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United States

I did swap the terminals on 1 & 4(same coil) still the same problem. And yes the coil pack I ordered is the MSD one. I have a feeling this is
More of an electronic issue than a mechanical one at this point, I'm just tired
Of ordering parts with no success in fixing this damn thing, . Thanks all for the input.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2014, 10:19 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Hi ya

Have you had the connectors off of the DME to see if the connectors are ok.
Also check you crank shaft position sensor.

May advice is get a Bentleys manual get the one with the diagnostic section in it, this will tell you all the tests to run for voltages ect.
If you have a scan gauge or code reader does it do timing and spark advance.

Hope this helps
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2014, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United States

I'm not sure what the DME is? Also I have not checked crank position sensor. Not sure where that is. I'm going to try a few more things over the next couple weeks and if that doesn't in the problem I'll check out the
Bentley manual.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2014, 11:30 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Hi ya

DME = engine control module = ECU, it's by your airbox sometimes the drain holes in the DME box fill up with sh"t and then the box can fill and start to corrode the DME and it's terminal, disconnect your battery before you do it or you risk a good chance off bricking it.

Crank sensor is is located on the front of the engine if follow the drip stick tube down you see it will snake over to the passengers side (uk car) it's just to the right and up a little roughly under the water pump. You might find hat the seal between the water pump and block has leaked and it has corroded the plug giving you a bad signal.
I think to get it out you have to put the mini in to service mod ie front end off it's not a big job very easy. Will find you a link

Amazon sell the Bentley manual I will try find you a link it's worth having

Hope this helps
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2014, 11:35 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Hi ya links as promised

Just a thought I have seen the injector wiring loom chaffed and shorting out causing a misfire trace the loom have a good look at it as well

This may help locate the cps but tbh they work or don't unless it's vibration related ie bad wiring

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...nk-sensor.html

Service manual

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mini-Cooper-Service-Manual-2002/dp/0837616395/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1394926393&sr=8-6&keywords=Bentleys+Mini+Cooper"]Mini Cooper Service Manual 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006: Mini Cooper, Mini Cooper S, Convertible: Amazon.co.uk: Bentley Publishers: Books[/ame]

Service mode

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...front-end.html

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...vice-mode.html

Hope this helps
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2015, 03:54 AM
MINI2 Newbie

I'm experiencing the same problem I have an 04 jcw mini light mods, well taken care of etc, 80k, if I drive like a senior citizen no issue, I clear the codes and go about my day, but if I exert any load on the engine in excess of around 3500 or 4k it will misfire specifically multiple misfires, initially was cylinder one has now spread? Wtf is going on I have changed the coil pack it had an msd went back to stock, new wires plugs, compression is 160 across the board, fuel pressure is consistent and within norms. I am at a loss here, I ran seafoam through it and replaced the air filter and cleaned the throttle body etc. Help a brother out with this mysterious dilemma if you ever resolved yours. I have not checked crankshaft position sensor, or the injectors them self could probably be upgraded my plugs looked like they had been running a little lean, I haven't hooked up a wideband to it in awhile though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.