MINI Cooper Forum banner

First mini problems, can you help?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Shorestyle89 
#1 ·
I just bought my first mini yesterday(an 04 S), at the dealer the mechanic replaced the battery for me and when I pulled off the lot these issues arose:

The roof is really slow to close at times
The passenger window didnt roll down yesterday but today seems fine
And the radio isn't playing at all.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot these issues?

#3 ·
I would think removing the battery and renewing it the systems all need resetting? your dealer should have known this and done it for you, and checked it all worked properly before sending you off?
Take it straight back and get them to fix it for you and give you £50 for your time and trouble.

#4 ·
I'm guessing the radio needs coding again, although this isn't usually required after a battery swap. Slow roof and intermittent window could just be lack of use, or lack of lube. There seems to be some issues with panoramic roofs failing which appear to an expensive fix.

#6 ·
Hi ya

Did they fit the correct battery as there are a couple of types, there has been problems with new batteries that are duff and some pattern ones are not up to it. There are threads about it here and on NAM
These minis can be very fragile when it comes to stable power.

For your radio Check your fuses in your foot well, I think they slapped in a new battery connected the neg than the poss and it popped a fuse on the radio.
The radio should not need coding If it's not lighting up and asking for a code it has no power, there is a fuse on the back of the stereo, but like I say check your foot well one first. Fuse F10 & F27
When connecting the battery Always poss (+) first and neg (-) last on the minis or it can cause problem it makes the car cranky

If your car is being cranky It's always worth disconnecting the battery leave it for 20/30 min reconnect it. It does solve a lot of problems

Hope this helps

#7 ·
I just created a thread entitled "2004 S - Changed Battery - Now Radio Issue" that can be removed as this is the same car, i did not realize my fiance' had joined the forum as well. Just to make it clear - EVERYTHING we are having issues with now was working perfectly fine before the battery switch was done. The radio worked, the window went down on command, and the sunroof opened normally as it should, (not sluggish.) The Radio does turn on,we can switch between radio and cd and eveything fine, we just do not get any audio, and it does not ask for a code. All the issues arose as we were driving home from the dealer, who was already closed at that point, so were unable to go right back. Unfortunately, this vehicle was purchased without a warranty, so the dealer who sold it to us will not be of any assistance. Perhaps the battery they dropped in is in need of a good charge or maybe some fuses were blown from changing the battery? It just seems very odd to me that all the issues came up after this new battery was put in. Any suggestions? I think first we are going to go get the battery tested and see if it is low.

#8 ·
Just a quick update here on the radio situation. Checked fuses F10 and F27. Both fuses seemed to be in fine working order, but changed them anyway just to be sure. Still nothing. Radio turns on, no audio. We even have an Ipod cord in the glovebox that is attached to the back of the radio and that is getting power as well. Could a wire on the Harmon amp have come loose by chance? How could everything have been working fine one minute and the next just stop after changing the battery?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.