MINI Cooper Forum banner

2004 S - Changed Battery - Now Radio Issue

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Shorestyle89 
#1 ·
Hi all. I am new to the forum. I hope i posted this in the correct section. My girl and i just yesterday purchased a used 2004 Mini Cooper S from a used car dealer. The car has the premium Harmon Kardon audio setup with the stock stereo. When we test drove the car, the radio worked absolutely fine, i was actually seeing how much i could crank it. Before we purchased the car they did a test on the battery and saw that it was low, so they swapped it out for a battery from a different mini that was on the lot. We did not realize until we were on the road and kind of far from the dealership that there was now an issue with the stereo. It WILL turn on. I can see the radio station, and i can switch to a CD, problem is that there is NO AUDIO. I searched these forums for possible causes. The radio is NOT asking me for any kind of code. Is it possible that when the battery was changed a fuse for either the amp or the radio blew? My girl has the car, so i cannot check that until Thursday. Another possible cause i saw listed on the forums was that the amp could have just died. I find that EXTREMELY unlikely since the stereo was working perfectly 5 minutes before they dropped in the new battery. Anyone have any ideas for us? We are totally at a loss, as this is the first Mini we have ever owned. Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks alot!

#3 ·
How do you code the battery to the car? Sorry if that is a a stupid question. I am new to the MINI and not too good with car knowledge in general. Just a quick update here on the radio situation. Checked fuses F10 and F27. Both fuses seemed to be in fine working order, but changed them anyway just to be sure. Still nothing. Radio turns on, no audio. We even have an Ipod cord in the glovebox that is attached to the back of the radio and that is getting power as well. Could a wire on the Harmon amp have come loose by chance? How could everything have been working fine one minute and the next just stop after changing the battery?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.