Throttle response limited in the rain! - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > MINI Technical Forums > MINI Faults & Fixes > First Generation Faults & Fixes


First Generation Faults & Fixes MINI faults and fixes 2001 - 2006

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Throttle response - Hesitation grichardg First Generation Faults & Fixes 0 Oct 25th, 2012 11:53 AM

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Jul 8th, 2014, 03:47 PM
MINI2 Newbie
Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5
Local Time: 08:56 AM
Throttle response limited in the rain!

Hi,
Hoping some genius can help me out. A while back I was sat at the traffic lights in neutral in my 53 plate mini one, lights went green, into first gear, accelerate and my revs refused to go any higher than 1500-2000, I thought I was in third, but I wasn't. I pulled over, turned off, confused and then started it up again, this time it pulled off fine. No warning lights came on. No faults in the subsequent weeks, until it rained again!!
It's now happened 5 or 6 times, always in the rain, sometimes multiple times on short journies. Always fixes itself when I stop & start the engine though. And I have never had any warning lights come on when it does happen. I'm starting to feel a sluggish response when it's not wet, but that may just be me.
Took it to my local garage (not BMW/mini), but it shows no faults and not even any stored faults.
I've read a thread on here suggesting it may be wiring damage but I can't ind any at all. Although that would make sense.
So can anyone help? I really begrudge taking it to my local dealer
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Jul 8th, 2014, 09:47 PM
MINI2 Regular
Offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Derbyshire
Posts: 76
Local Time: 08:56 AM
United Kingdom
You sure it's not just the traction control kicking in and shutting the power down until grip levels are increased. It does kick in rather too easily in my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Jul 9th, 2014, 08:30 AM
MINI2 Newbie
Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5
Local Time: 08:56 AM
Quote: Originally Posted by Big_Nige (original)
You sure it's not just the traction control kicking in and shutting the power down until grip levels are increased. It does kick in rather too easily in my opinion.

Thank for the reply. Yeah I'm sure it's not the traction control, it feels like there's a limiter restricting me! It can happen when I'm driving along at cruising speed, the engine just breaks until the revs are low and then resists opening the throttle.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Jul 9th, 2014, 12:04 PM
MINI2 Master
Offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South london
Posts: 1,190
Local Time: 08:56 AM
United Kingdom Male
Hi ya

It sounds like it may be your throttle body playing up it sounds like your getting water in to the electrical connection.

When the garage ran a diagnostic on it did they use a hand held scanner, if so it will not pick up stored faults you need the bmw dis to go low level I think the auto logic can do it. Then you will find the fault.

When was the car last serviced ?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Jul 10th, 2014, 06:19 AM
MINI2 Newbie
Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5
Local Time: 08:56 AM
Quote: Originally Posted by marque (original)
Hi ya

It sounds like it may be your throttle body playing up it sounds like your getting water in to the electrical connection.

When the garage ran a diagnostic on it did they use a hand held scanner, if so it will not pick up stored faults you need the bmw dis to go low level I think the auto logic can do it. Then you will find the fault.

When was the car last serviced ?

I did look at the Throttle Body wiring, but as it's pretty cramped in there I couldn't really see any.

I'll ask my garage, but he did specifically say there weren't any stored faults which by the sounds of what you're saying means they use the BMW dis?

If it is an electrical connection in the throttle body have you got any suggestions? I'm just a bit loathed to take it to the dealership as they'll most likely cost a fortune!
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Jul 10th, 2014, 11:22 PM
MINI2 Master
Offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South london
Posts: 1,190
Local Time: 08:56 AM
United Kingdom Male
Quote: Originally Posted by DangerLillian (original)
I did look at the Throttle Body wiring, but as it's pretty cramped in there I couldn't really see any.

I'll ask my garage, but he did specifically say there weren't any stored faults which by the sounds of what you're saying means they use the BMW dis?

If it is an electrical connection in the throttle body have you got any suggestions? I'm just a bit loathed to take it to the dealership as they'll most likely cost a fortune!


Hi ya

Personally I think I would disconnect the battery first (neg then positive) then disconnect the throttle body plug give it a clean with wd40. I would also make shore the ECM (engine control module) engines brain mounted in the battery tray on yours, make shore it's clean and dry and would disconnect the two plugs on it and make shore there's no corrosion on the pins or connectors then give then a very lights spray with wd40 reassemble them.
Never hurts to give the other plugs in the engine bay a spray with wd40
Then reconnect your battery poss then neg.

I would also have a good look round the throttle peddle to,
sometimes the potentiometers get full of crud and fluff they get cranky you may need to remove them from the car and clean them carefully.


Hope this helps
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Jul 14th, 2014, 07:26 PM
MINI2 Newbie
Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5
Local Time: 08:56 AM
Quote: Originally Posted by marque (original)
Hi ya

Personally I think I would disconnect the battery first (neg then positive) then disconnect the throttle body plug give it a clean with wd40. I would also make shore the ECM (engine control module) engines brain mounted in the battery tray on yours, make shore it's clean and dry and would disconnect the two plugs on it and make shore there's no corrosion on the pins or connectors then give then a very lights spray with wd40 reassemble them.
Never hurts to give the other plugs in the engine bay a spray with wd40
Then reconnect your battery poss then neg.

I would also have a good look round the throttle peddle to,
sometimes the potentiometers get full of crud and fluff they get cranky you may need to remove them from the car and clean them carefully.


Hope this helps

Thanks very much for the advice, I did all that over the weekend, however since it's not rained heavy I can't tell if it's worked!! Guess it's a waiting game now
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Aug 10th, 2014, 05:44 PM
MINI2 Newbie
Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5
Local Time: 08:56 AM
So no luck :-( It rained so I took the car out, and it acts exactly the same. No luck with any suggestions so I best take it to the stealership and prepare my wallet!!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply
Tags: , , , , , ,



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Throttle response - Hesitation grichardg First Generation Faults & Fixes 0 Oct 25th, 2012 11:53 AM

» Recent Threads
JCW intercooler intake grille.
Oct 19th, 2014 08:06 PM
Last post by davidscott
Today 07:11 AM
4 Replies, 375 Views
Mini Clubman Barn Doors Won't Lock
Today 03:51 AM
Last post by chrysler300
Today 03:51 AM
0 Replies, 68 Views
Will I get jipped?
Yesterday 11:14 PM
Last post by whaap
Today 03:03 AM
2 Replies, 117 Views
2015 Roadster S Backup Light(s)?
Oct 11th, 2014 12:19 PM
Last post by StarFlyr
Today 01:06 AM
1 Replies, 379 Views
Anyone rented Mini to drive around Europe?
Jun 25th, 2011 01:55 PM
by MarkLaw
Last post by chistacha2
Today 12:24 AM
7 Replies, 1,842 Views
2001 Cooper wheel nut key
Oct 20th, 2014 05:05 PM
Last post by Caveman
Yesterday 10:51 PM
4 Replies, 346 Views
Lights on warning not working
Yesterday 11:42 AM
by S2dicky
Last post by S2dicky
Yesterday 10:32 PM
1 Replies, 155 Views
R56 Aux input volume???????
Oct 20th, 2014 04:00 PM
Last post by peteski2014
Yesterday 09:04 PM
2 Replies, 285 Views
New iPhone update messed up blue tooth, anyone else?!
Oct 20th, 2014 02:35 PM
Last post by chris0074
Yesterday 08:31 PM
5 Replies, 333 Views
Fuel Consumption in Mini Cooper D 2014
Yesterday 08:09 PM
Last post by chris0074
Yesterday 08:13 PM
1 Replies, 126 Views
Start/Stop engine button illuminated when car is locked
Yesterday 08:07 PM
Last post by chris0074
Yesterday 08:07 PM
0 Replies, 112 Views
Build up of rain water...
Yesterday 05:15 PM
Last post by chris0074
Yesterday 07:35 PM
2 Replies, 141 Views
PAS Fluid Leak HELP!!
Oct 15th, 2014 07:16 PM
Last post by JollyRotten
Yesterday 06:14 PM
6 Replies, 520 Views
speed displayed on tachometer is a little bit higher than actual speed! Help!
Yesterday 06:45 AM
by tianfa1
Last post by Angib
Yesterday 05:58 PM
4 Replies, 265 Views
LED Side Lights
Oct 16th, 2014 10:34 PM
Last post by mab01uk
Yesterday 05:49 PM
4 Replies, 479 Views
Misfiring R55 JCW engine in 6th gear between 2k-3k RPM with throttle wide open
Yesterday 10:30 AM
Last post by Mr Muffin
Yesterday 04:33 PM
6 Replies, 373 Views
UK Big Brake fitment, what to do?
Oct 20th, 2014 01:44 PM
Last post by ihughes
Yesterday 03:55 PM
1 Replies, 291 Views
Rear wiper motor stem problem
Oct 18th, 2014 09:57 AM
Last post by ihughes
Yesterday 03:48 PM
2 Replies, 378 Views
Strange Noise
Oct 16th, 2014 10:28 PM
Last post by CCroker
Yesterday 02:20 PM
2 Replies, 307 Views
Mini Cooper with Helicopter Turbine Jet Engine
Feb 29th, 2012 05:36 PM
by mab01uk
Last post by Aliraza852
Yesterday 12:10 PM
5 Replies, 1,466 Views
» Premium
» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.1

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:56 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2