MINI Cooper Forum banner

Central locking interior switch - fault or design?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ScreamMini 
#1 ·
We have a 2004 Mini Cooper.
The other day my wife stopped to pick up a friend, pressed the interior central locking switch in the centre console, but the friend couldn't open the door from the outside.

My question is, is this by design or a fault?

#2 ·
It's quite possible that the door was unlocked but the exterior handle was so stiff that the friend thought the door was still locked.

Mini exterior door handles (well, 1st and 2nd Gen ones at least) get impossibly stiff if they aren't used regularly. There is no long-term cure though I find silicon spray around the lever is a short term fix.

The test is: once the interior unlock button has been pressed, can the passenger door be opened from the inside with a single pull? If it takes two pulls inside to open the door, then it is locked, but one pull if unlocked.

#3 ·
Maybe the friend wasnt used to the MINI door handle? some cars you just pull on the handle if theres no exterior button visible, if they did just pull on the handle not knowing they have to effectively squeeze the handle then the door wont open will it.

Good thing is your friends eventually stop asking for lifts. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.