MINI Cooper Forum banner

Locking Itself

8K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Sejanus 
#1 ·
In the last week or so my MINI (2002) has started locking itself. When I park the car in my garage I leave it unlocked, but recently a few minutes later it locks itself. I've also just noticed that the hazard lights periodically flash on every few minutes as well. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

#2 ·
You can have the system set so if you unlock the car and dont open the door it will relock itself automatically after about 1 minute, maybe its to do with that? dont know why the flashers should flash periodically though?
Maybe you have water in the works somewhere, does/has the car leak/ed in the rain?

#3 ·
My guess on the flashing is that it flashes once when it locks itself and that it keeps trying to lock itself every few minutes even after its already locked. As for rain, I wish. We're in a major drought here. I barely remember what rain looks like.

#4 ·
Just to rule the key fob out {and any spare set} - Put them in a Faraday Cage - biscuit tin say, to block any sporadic signals they might be emitting for whatever reason.
If it still auto-locks, then next simplest thing to check would be any faults in the actual key lock system in the doors, by inserting into both driver & passenger doors and repeatedly locking/unlocking.
{When was the last time you used a key to actually turn a door lock} ;)

If still auto-locks after the above tests - then possible body computer fault :eek:

#6 ·
Its your door lock actuator, the hazards flash every time it trys to lock. If you disconnect the electrical plug into the actuator you will find it doesn't do it. You need to get it sorted because once they start going wrong you will get all sorts of problems like windows going down on there own, alarm randomly going off etc

#8 ·
Took it to the dealership, they think it's the body control module since the lights are flashing as well as the door locking. I didn't get it fixed (trying to spread out some bills), but then I got locked in the car. Internal door handle and the toggle both failed to unlock the car. I had to roll down the window and reach out of the car and use the key on the outside door lock to get out. Not a big deal unless the windows fail to open which they might if it's the body control module. Most of the time it locks itself and sits there quietly. other times it starts locking and unlocking and flashing the hazards. Can you do an exorcism on a MINI? It's going back in to the shop on Tuesday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.