MINI Cooper Forum banner

PAssenger Door won't open from inside using the handle

12K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  ihughes 
#1 ·
HI My 2005 MCS Conv won't unlock from the inside unless you use the unlock button on the centre console. It works fine if the car is unlocked, in the the door handle will open the door. Any ideas?

#4 ·
Tks

... MCS Conv won't unlock from the inside unless you use the unlock button on the centre console. It works fine if the car is unlocked, in that the door handle will open the door. If it's locked then no amount of pulling on the door handle will open it - until the central locking is disengaged by the unlock button.

#5 ·
The MINI door lock is a complete unit that contains both the mechanical and electrical latching and locking mechanisms.

If the passenger door unlocks using the dashboard switch does the door button pop up as well?

Does the door lock/unlock with the remote key fob?

If everything is fine with the electrical side of the lock mechanism then you may simply have a problem with the mechanical side of things.

The external handle operates a short bowden cable (like a bicycle brake cable) which pulls on one lever on the lock unit.

The door button connects to the lock unit via a short rod.

The internal handle also operates the lock via a long bowden cable. It is possible (but I think unlikely) that the cable could become detached from the door lock. However, if the lock has failed electricaly, this also results in the internal handle not opening the door.

If you remove the door card you should be able to check that all the mechanical connections (the two bowden cables and the door button rod) are still connected okay.

If you decide to change the door lock unit this is a fiddly but not too difficult job. There are several guides on the forum and videos on You Tube.

One thing that is important to remember is that to get the lock unit out of the door you will have to free off the bottom bolt and the adjuster for the window glass rails at the lock end of the door. The bolt is underneath the door. If you don't move the glass rail it is impossible to get the old lock mechanism between the glass rail and door skin!

Also, the new lock (or scrap yard purchase) will not have the plastic guide for the external lock bowden cable supplied with it.......you need to swap over the one from the lock you remove! The lock costs about £65 depending on where you buy it. MINI dealers will charge a lot of labour to change it!

I changed my lock over the other day.....the electric side of it had failed completely so that it wouldn't lock/unlock at all. It took about an hour to do, and everythying now works perfectly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.