MINI Cooper Forum banner

asc + check engine, UPDATE, help needed!

3K views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  gpapag 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I recently bought an R52 MCS and currently facing a intermittent problem with ASC and check engine light. I drove the car to a dealer and when he plugged the OBD scanner he
found a P0341 fault (camshaft error) and an ASC/ABS unit CAN BUS communication error.
As the car runs fine and I have recently replaced the camshaft sensor, he just reset the faults and he said that I should drive the car and check what will happen.

Now after a couple of weeks driving, I have observed the following:
1. The ASC light may or may not come on when i turn the key without cranking or just after cranking. If it doesn't come on at this time it will stay off until the engine is off.

2. If I reset the camshaft error (which causes the check engine light to come on) through the OBD, and the ASC light doesn't come on the check engine will not come on either.

So far I have checked the relevant connectors and system grounds and replaced the camshaft sensor. The battery is new.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Today, I spent most of my day over the engine try to figure out what is
happening. Just before I quit, I heard a rather high frequency clicking sound near the fuse box and it turned out to be the DME main relay. The key was turned to position 2.

Can anyone please check if this also happens to other minis? I cannot think why this would be normal. The relay should be either energized or de-energized, it should not be cycling on and off. I replaced the relay with A/C Compressor relay which is identical and did the same thing.

The relay gets a steady +12V directly from the battery and 0V from the DME so that may mean that the DME is the problem...

If someone wishes to check with his mini, please make sure that it is quite because the clicking sound is not very easy to hear.

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.