MINI Cooper Forum banner

Central Locking Fault

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Hollow 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I'm hoping that someone might be able to give some troubleshooting advice on a 2003 Mini One 1.6 Cooper S my fiancée recently acquired. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

It's a central locking problem. I have two keys and neither of them will lock or unlock the car automatically. Additionally, the switch in the centre console will not lock or unlock the car. The vehicle is currently partially locked (petrol cap and boot unlocked, doors manually locked) and moving the console switch to unlock causes the locks around the car to react somewhat. I can hear them moving in both doors and the boot, and it appears to move the lock on the petrol cap. Moving the console switch to lock has no effect whatsoever.

Someone had suggested that a simple fix might be to disconnect the battery to reset the system, which I did overnight. Upon reconnecting the battery: the keys still refused to work for anything and the centre console switch reacted in the same way for the unlock motion. However, the first 4-5 times I moved it to the lock position I heard a small click near the steering wheel. Subsequent tries to move the switch to the lock position had no effect and the clicking noise was gone again.

Currently I'm in this position again:
  • (update) Manually locking/unlocking the drivers door now does also lock/unlock the boot and petrol cap.
  • Neither key works to lock or unlock the car - pressing the buttons has no effect whatsoever.
  • Moving the centre console switch to unlock receives a reaction from all locks around the car, but will NOT unlock a manually locked door.
  • Moving the centre console switch to lock has no effect whatsoever.

Thanks again. :)

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.