MINI Cooper Forum banner

Rear wiper motor stem problem

7K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  ihughes 
#1 ·
Have bought a new Valeo rear wiper motor but on fitting I've noticed that the stem is too thin.
I bought it from Ebay so suspect I may struggle to get any help from the seller.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did they fix it?

#2 ·
Really find it hard to believe that no one has had this problem before.

The seller was very helpful.

Mini had issues with the Trico motor so changed it for the Valeo one so when you buy a new rear wiper motor you also have to buy a grommet, wiring adapter, nut, wiper arm and wiper blade all for the bargain price of £45 and only BMW sell the kit, bless 'em.

#3 ·
BMW completely changed the rear wiper mechanism on the gen 2 minis. You cannot fit a Gen 2 motor into a gen 1 without a different wiring loom (or adapter) a different wiper arm and washer assembly.

Yes BMW do sell a 'conversion kit' but I understood it is £160 including the new motor!!!!

If you try ordering motor from an auto factors (like Eurocarparts) they will ship you the gen2 motor on its own which you cannot fit!

When I needed to change the motor on my Gen1 'S' I bought a secondhand Trico motor from a breakers yard for about £35 if my memory serves me. There are plenty of Gen1 minis being broken now, so not too difficult to get one which should be working okay, or else the breakers should swap it for one that is.

The Trico motors tend to fail because the washer fluid goes up the drive shaft and any leaking washer fluid tends to corrode the motor or more likely the motor switch. This is the usual cause of strange rear wiper behaviour or incorrect parking of the blade on a gen1 Mini.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.