MINI Cooper Forum banner

Erratic engine speed when cold

1K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  tyred bob 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a toyota 1.4 d mini one with an erratic engine speed of between 850 & 1000 rpm which almost disappears when the engine gets hot at around 3 miles. Start up is good and idle ok for about 1 minute then the hunting starts. There are no fault codes, the erg/air flow meter have been cleaned and the vacuum system has been checked. Passed the MOT yesterday with near zero emissions. Has anyone had this problem before please?.Bob.

#2 ·
Fixed

Hi, I have a toyota 1.4 d mini one with an erratic engine speed of between 850 & 1000 rpm which almost disappears when the engine gets hot at around 3 miles. Start up is good and idle ok for about 1 minute then the hunting starts. There are no fault codes, the erg/air flow meter have been cleaned and the vacuum system has been checked. Passed the MOT yesterday with near zero emissions. Has anyone had this problem before please. Bob.

Solved!
The throttle housing has two ports the smaller was almost blocked with carbon where the elbow joins onto the cylinder head, cleaned the housing and spacer out with the wife's toothbrush and solvent cleaner.
The throttle housing is the vacuum operated valve to the left of the egr. There is a lot of good info on cleaning the egr but none on the throttle housing which you have to remove from the engine to see the problem. I now get 67.2 mpg and the engine goes as well as it did 100000 miles ago :smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.