MINI Cooper Forum banner

Heating issues

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Mini.mjb 
#1 ·
Hello. I am new to this forum and hopefully I am posting this in the right place.

I am actually trying to help a friend fix her mini. I have read a lot of posts on here but can't seem to find the answer I am looking for. So I joined to create my own post. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It is a 2003 mini (not S). The heater blows lukewarm air. I have tried bleeding the air out using the 3 bleeder valves. The fan blows fine to all areas you direct it to. I haven't found any loose linkage from controls anywhere.

There does not seem to be heat getting to the heater core. I felt what I think are the pipes coming in from firewall on drivers side and they are slightly warm just like the air coming from vents.

I also tried running the heater on recirc in case the filter was a problem. Can't remember name of filter but I read about it possibly being a problem.

I have read some about a heater control valve that might not be directing hot coolant to the core. However, I haven't been able to figure out if there actually is one on this model and year, much less where to find it.

I have read about possible clogged core but it seems to me that at least one pipe coming in would be hot if that were the case.

There did seem to be a little air in system when I started on it. I think it is all out. The 8mm bleeder screw however I can't see well enough to tell if there is any air or not. Unless it comes out completely, which it did once. Luckily I easily found it with a magnet and got it back in with the help of some duct tape in the socket!

I apologize for the way this message is kind of all over the place. I am just trying to write stuff as I remember it.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

See less See more
#2 ·
I thought of a couple more things. It was wrecked a few months ago and the radiator was replaced. Apparently the heater did work fine after that for a while before it quit working.

Also the engine heats up normally as far as I can tell it goes up to about half way and stays there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.