MINI Cooper Forum banner

Bonnet Catch not Latching

19K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Wildspark 
#1 ·
HI Guys, first post here having just bought a '53 plate MCS.

As I guess is typical, there are a number of issues with the car, but I would welcome some help with the bonnet catch problem.
I noticed the shut line was a bit larger on the drivers' side and the problem is the bonnet catch doesn't latch on that side when you push or gently slam the bonnet down. It latches OK on the passenger side.
The parts of the catch itself don't look particularly worn, but if I try to push the latch down with a thin round bar it doesn't seem to be able to go down far enough to allow the hook part inside the catch to grab on.

Anyone tackled this problem before? TIA.

#2 ·
Adjust the bonnet rubber bump stop at the front on the side of the car affected where it contacts the slam panel and screw it inwards so it allows the bonnet to close that tiny bit more to allow the latch to click into place and then make sure the latch is lubricated properly and not seizing/too stiff to operate?

#4 ·
Thanks for those answers. The catch is definitely "open", and when I push the bonnet down I can feel it pushing against the spring of the latch mechanism.
The thing is, if I get a bar and push it into the latch mechanism like it is the bar attached to the bonnet, so I can see it, I can see the first hook moving over, but however hard I push the second hook doesn't engage to hold the first part into place. (It's the second hook that is released by the release cable).
I think this weekend I'll get the latch off the car so I can investigate more closely.

I was just trying to gauge whether this is a usual problem with older MCS' or less common?

#6 ·
hi tnoy66, I don't think it's that. The release cable is loose in the latch and is not pulling on it at all. However, I will just check again, because I've seen the cable is loose only when the bonnet is up, and I guess the cable is tightened when the bonnet pushes down on the latch. You could be right if teh cable binds as the latch is sprung by the bonnet.

#7 ·
Apologies tnoy66, you were right! The cable is quite well stuck. I've managed to free it up a bit by squirting WD40 down it and pulling the inner cable out, so at least the bonnet is now latched down on both sides! It will still release by the bonnet catch, but the cable won't pull through on its own.
I'll have a go at freeing it up over the weekend, but failing that I'll get a new one.

Thanks for your help!

#10 ·
Ha Ha, thanks guys!
Now sorted.
The inner cable was rusted quite badly about 1/4 of the way along.
I ended up using the inner cable from a bike gear change cable, sliding that into the outer of the bonnet cable.
It now works a treat.
I think WD40 leaves behind oil after the lighter faction evaporates, but I agree it's not as good as spray grease.
It may be a bit OTT, but the end could do with a boot to stop the dirt getting inside when you pull the bonnet catch. I might improvise something.

A good day today with a sorted rear wiper motor as well!
Just the SC oil to change next!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.