MINI Cooper Forum banner

Distinct Thud under floor...

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  stirlo 
#1 ·
Hi Guys.

Mini One 2003..Runs great engine quiet and very smooth for it's age.
However when you initially start the car there is a loud thud under the floor coming from around the handbrake area ,Once the car is running it is fine.
If I put engine under load as in keeping my foot on brake and trying to move slightly you can hear the thud again .
I thought it was the exhaust or heatshield knocking but this has all been checked out.
Would the underside engine mount possibly cause this problem..??

Cheers Dave :mad:

#2 ·
If youve had the exhaust system checked and its supported properly and all its hangers are good and the heat shields are all secure then it must be due to the engine moving too much on its mountings, especially as you say it does it if you put the engine under strain trying to move whilst braked, the engine could be causing the exhaust to kick up under the floor causing the momentarily thud.
Are any mountings oil contaminated or is the hydraulic engine mounting leaking and lost its oil?

#3 ·
Hi, according to reading on here the 2003 model didnt have hydraulic mounting they were not fitted till 2004.i may be wrong but looking at mountings they all seem to be intact.I will get it back on the ramps and check them whilst someone loads the engine.I think you are right though I think it is the exhaust vibrating onto tunnel floor as it sounds like a hollow thud...Although the exhaust mountings look solid enough as you say it could I suppose be one of them that has weakened enough to let the pipe resonate against the floor.
Looking at engine whilst putting it under load there is hardly any movement so hopefully it might be a exhaust mounting that has weakened although moving it about whilst on ramps it seemed solid enough.
I will have another look and come back if I still have the problem..

Many Thanks for taking the time to reply..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.