MINI Cooper Forum banner

Rubbing/grinding noise from front wheel

32K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  ChaoticControl 
#1 ·
Hi all, hopefully I can get some advice on this issue!
I have a 54 plate facelift Cooper R50, 111,000 miles.

Just over a week ago I noticed a rubbing/grinding noise when I was pulling away, seemed to just suddenly appear as have not noticed it before. The sound continues as long as the wheels are turning, most noticeably at around 30mph.

I took both front wheels off to check for anything obviously rubbing, and spinning the offside wheel did indicate some rubbing (near side a little rubbing but not much), the discs and pads are about 4 months old, and the gap seems very little between them, but i do know the pads stay very close to the discs.

After putting the wheels back on and taking it for a drive, I noticed when turning right at around 25 - 30 mph the noise got much louder, which didn't happen prior to taking the wheels off, which seems strange to me. I say 25 - 30 as that is when it is most noticeable due to lack of road noise, but the noise persists at any speed.

So at first I thought maybe a sticky brake caliper, but now im wondering if its either a cv joint or wheel bearing.

I have no experience with this issue so any information or advice would be great.

To summerise the noise only happens when the wheels are spinning and becomes louder when turning to the right.

See less See more
#2 ·
Wheel bearing probably, take the wheel off and lever the pads clear of the disc then turn the wheel, does it feel rough? and then try and see if theres movement on the bearing by holding the wheel at 12 and 6 o clock and try to rock it, there shouldnt be any play to speak of.
Rough, play or rumble it will be a bearing going.
If that feels ok then further investigation is needed but its a good starting point to check?

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply!

There is no play at all in the wheels, and i think any roughness is the pads on the discs and its not very much.

The symptoms have got a bit worse now, when turning right it gets quite loud, with a rubbing/whooshing sound, gets louder the harder i turn but even just a little turn on the wheel and it will make a sound.

All that along with a rubbing/whining noise when im moving.

Its hard to tell but i think when turning left the noise quietens slightly.

#4 ·
Sounds like your hub bearings are worn out as suggested by The Nun. If your mechanically minded then the job is a piece of cake to do. I recently done both my front bearings after the drivers side one started to fail.

If you are gonna change the bearing, I'd recommend doing it in pairs because if one side is worn then the other side will soon follow

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.