MINI Cooper Forum banner

Stage 1 resister splice

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Beejid 
#1 ·
Hi, first post so I hope I'm doing this right. After this weekends hot weather and being stood in traffic for so long, I descovered the stage 1 resister had gone on my 05 cooper s radiator fan. I've ordered a replacement and was wondering which wires to splice into near the plug saving the need to put it in service mode.
Also...... With the first stage kicking in at around 105C I'm a little worried that it's too hot? Don't most cars come on at a lower temp? I'm now considering waterless coolant to keep the pressure down at that temp, any views?

#2 ·
There's a brown (ground) wire, thinner red wire (low speed), an thicker red wire (high speed).
You splice in the resistor across the two red wires.
105 is ok. The 2nd generations run even hotter IIRC.
You could also add some water wetter to the coolant to improve its performance.

#3 ·
That's fantastic thank you :) I know the wires well, I've been growling at them all day ha ha yep that makes complete sense :)
Yeah Evans recommends no more than 3% in theirs, didn't realise it actully helped though, thought it would hinder its ability to work correctly. Thanks again.

#4 ·
Think I might need a little help....... Waterless coolant in :) and a new stat to be on the safe side..... However....... turns out there's no feed to the stage 1 fan coming through, all fuses and relay is ok???? Does anyone have wiring diagrams for the fan and aircon? Aircon doesn't work either ha ha ha been like that for a while.

#6 ·
Just been out to recheck, it's good and power steering pump fan ok too???? Think I've a broken wire somewhere???? The electrics on this motor arnt great, think it's been parked in a Turkish bath for a yr before I got it, every problem I've had is electrical ? broken wires and dry connections ?
Thank you :) if u think of anything else please please let me know :)

#7 ·
No I tell a lie, switched ac on and nothing happens, no power steering pump fan nor 1st stage, no fuses blown nor relays....????? Have a spare fuse box and looking at it only one switched contact is used for that relay, is that the same for everyone else's? Both the one on the car and the spare have no connector for one of the switched pins.

#8 ·
Update so far.... Still no fuses blown and tested all relays, they are ok too, been having a look at the electrics, no water or water damage, there are some relays behind the fuse box in foot well, what do they control? Second stage fan works but still no voltage to first stage. Also took the power steering fan off and tested it, that works but will not come on when I turn air con on as well as 1st stage fan??? Kind of lost with it at the moment.
Will they be separate problems or all linked to one?
Could the temp sensor be faulty? Can I test that?
Tried looking at wds BMW but won't work on any computer I've tried....... Desperately seeking wiring diagrams if anyone has the for cooling system and air con, please please please ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.