MINI Cooper Forum banner

Another CVT issue from 2004 mini cooper

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  erimel12 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I just got a 2004 mini cooper with cvt. When I tested the car, I drove around streets and never exceeded 40 mph. I purchased the car, I took it to highway to see how it drives at high speeds. I was literally shocked. While I was getting 50 mph, the engine was revving at 5500 rpm. I noticed that the car was keeping a low gear instead of shifting up. Later, I reached 70 mph at 3000-3500 rpm.

However, the worst part is deceleration, When I eased off my foot on gas, it was kind of stalling. It shifted down and run around 5500 rpm again. Today, I took it to highway again, I pulled my foot off gas quickly and braked firmly. It didn't stuck on high rpms.

I used to drive a passat with 4 speed automatic. I thought maybe high rpms are related with cvt but I read so many similar issues about mini cvt transmissions. The car drives normal at low speeds -40 mph- and it doesn't rev more than 3000 rpm.

I am a student and I don't have $6-8k for a new transmission::frown:: I read about resetting the transmission and changing the battery. I also think about changing the transmission fluid because of cvt's nature. Do you have any suggestion etc? Or should I sell it quickly before it blows up on my face?

See less See more
#2 ·
update 1: the transmission continued presenting its problems. It nearly stalled when I was on highway. EP showed up on the dash with engine light.

update 2: I dropped the car off at bmw. First, they didn't want to take in because it's mini but they told me that they could actually accept out of warranty cars. They reset the transmission and performed the cvt adaptation. They told me about low battery voltage. Another problem is leaking transmission fluid. After the reset, the car drives smoother so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.