MINI Cooper Forum banner

Super stiff gear changes

11K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  cristo 
#1 ·
Hello all I have recently purchased an R53 MCS 2002 plate and I am very new to the world of Mini and their unique problems and faults. (Not this will ever make me want to get rid of my little rocket).

Recently I have noticed it is getting harder and harder to change gear and requires some force from me to change it! Any suggestions on what this could be? I was thinking potentially the gear linkage and was wondering if there is anything for me to look out for or try?

Thanks in advance, I am pretty sure I will be plaguing these forums with all my HELP posts until I have finally got my MCS to the the point I am happy with. Cant wait to start running her out and about to all the various meets etc, although I have soooooooo much planned before that happens!

#2 ·
See if you can change gears with the engine off and your foot off the clutch. If its only difficult with the engine running then your looking at dropping the gearbox and inspecting the clutch components. Modmini covers gearbox removal and changing the clutch on YouTube. I use a Valeo single mass clutch and flywheel conversion and cant fault it on my R53, Modmini also has a short video on the Valeo units and they are far heaper than an OEM clutch and flywheel unit.

#3 ·
Older MINIs can certainly get stiff shifter cables. They may need to be lubed or replaced.
Not too hard to get to. Is it stiffer left to right, or front to back, or both.
If this isn't the problem, and it isn't the bracket that the cables attach to at the transmission,
then see the above post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.