MINI Cooper Forum banner

Rust

6K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Milpol 
#1 ·
Classic mini and rust go hand in hand but what some of you may not know is the modern replacement the r50-r53 had rust problems in a few select areas aswell..

most common was under the door and boot seals, they catch water from driving in the rain or washing the car this causes corrosion that eats the metal away :eeksurprise:

another area was under the plastic sill covers, it would rot unnoticed and you would end up with a swiss cheese of a car.

Rim Wheel Cable Spoke

Bumper Automotive exterior Rust Auto part Vehicle registration plate

Rust Automotive exterior Auto part

Automotive tire Tire Rust Automotive exterior Auto part

Tire Automotive tire Auto part Wheel Rim

the above pics are of my own car that has this issue. I tried stopping it 1-2 years ago but it is returning unfortunately :crying:

other areas include

the fuel tank straps on early ones cooper and cooper s

the rear axle that supports all the suspension components. pics in another post.

See less See more
#4 ·
Hey guys what is the best way to treat rust? I just checked mine under door seals, and sure, there are small bits of rust.

Can I just brush it with a wire brush, clean with damp cloth and then put some hammerite direct to rust?

Thanks!

EDIT: also is there any guide how to check under the plastic sill covers? How to remove them?

#7 ·
If the painted surface is OK, leave it as is, if its rusted, as mentioned, strip it all back to bare metal and treat it then paint it. Don't forget to clean inside the groove of the rubber seal as it will be full of crud and rust residue (I used my old toothbrush and hot soapy water, then rinsed the seal and left it to dry out). Then checking its clean , reinstall after the body paint has dried and check it every couple of months as dirt and dust build-up will help retain moisture and create corrosion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.