post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2017, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 05:27 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This isn't a rear main seal leak!!

Hi team
1st post new member mini fan.
I have a 2004 cooper S jcw 6 speed that has been costing some money lately.
I had a non starter that a tap of the fuel pump while turning over got me home ( replaced that and filter)
I had a right hand side vibration that was a drive shaft and lower rear bush replacement
And now just after replacing the drive shaft I had a heap of oil coming from the bellhousing. Naturally I thought case pressure and rear main seal however further investigation showed a different story
It appears that the bolt in the shift fork assembly has broken where the threads stop and proceeded to smash a hole into the gearbox where the diff is. The clutch housing is a mess and I am looking for advice if it is a common problem and what is the best fix??

Thanks for any help

( how do I add a photo for you) hmmm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2017, 09:14 AM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 04:27 PM
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)

Australia Male

Garage
Not a common problem as I have the same issue on my R53 where a pin hole (emphasis on pinhole) was created when the throwout bearing shattered. The bolt most likely at some stage was damaged on a prior service or may have been faulty. Your up for a rebuilt gearbox and you wont get any money off as a core exchange due to the damage to the casing. I have just spent $2k on a SH Gearbox which I intend to swap out soon as I fear that my current leak may be from the alloy weld repair that may have failed. Alloy weld repairs are hit or miss due to hidden stress cracks that may open up when welding or afterwards and are very difficult to prevent. You will need to check for oil contamination on the clutch plate and while your at it, wear to the flywheel and any swarf/debris that may have entered. The good news is, its the perfect time to check and replace the rear main seal to the engine and if your clutch/flywheel is contaminated or damaged, a low cost option is the Valeo single mass flywheel and clutch kit (cheaper than just the OEM flywheel alone). Modmini on YouTube has a video on the Valeo unit and also a good DIY on swapping it all out.

To add a photo, you need a few more posts before you can upload.

SeanC likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.