MINI Cooper Forum banner

R50 / 2005 - Lost my Key

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Mr_John 
#1 ·
Hey folks,

I lost my remote key recently. BMW/Mini wants 200€ for e new one incl. programming the new one. (Key is 150€)

Are there any aftermarket ones I can use? Like this one: ebay.com/itm/EWS-Remote-3-Button-Board-315MHZ-With-CHIP-7935-and-Case-for-Mini-Cooper-KEY-KM1-/272390354051]EWS Remote 3 Button Board 315MHZ With CHIP 7935 and Case for Mini Cooper KEY KM1

How can I program the key then? Or do I have to go to BMW/Mini to program the key?

Cheers

Mr_John

#2 ·
Have you got the other key? So a key place can cut the blade from that? As you are using € I assume you are not in the UK?
When I bought my 2005 MCS in October I looked at a couple with only one key. I checked with Mini main dealers here in UK and it was £200 to supply, cut and programme. And you had to take proof of ownership and proof of identity to the dealer before they would do it.
The link you included takes me to eBay US and it says "has been removed, or this item is not available".

#3 ·
Yep I've got a 2nd key! Yep i guess that's no problem at all to cut a 2nd blade. I'm from Austria. 200P/€/$ is way too much, from my point of view. C'mon it only un/locks the doors remotely...

My bad regarding the hyperlink. here goes a (hopefully) working version: tinyurl.com/MCSREPLACEMETKEY

Cheers

#4 ·
Read the information on the following site carefully. Unless you have specialized chip programming equipment and coding experience (for some models, not yours) it's unwise to purchase a key from any place besides a dealer. To summarize, you can get the blank blade of a new key cut fairly easily and pairing the remote with your car for an '05 is not difficult (series of button pushes) but programming the EWS/anti-theft chip requires specialized equipment (as it should).

A better option for you would be to get a "general, non-remote" key; it opens the doors with the blade and will start the car as it has the EWS chip inside, correctly programmed. It just doesn't have the remote functions and therefore is quite a bit cheaper than a new remote key.

Why are MINI keys sold on eBay then? Because people will buy anything- they put the "you are responsible for programming the key" messages on there for a reason.

Bruce

#5 ·
Hey Bruce, thanks for the info.
I already have a second key without the remote function, as you mentioned.

So you mean, that buying this remote is not going to help me either. Do you think, I could get one of these keys and ask BMW/Mini to program it to my car?

#6 ·
As I recall it was the cut key from the dealer that was the most expensive part of the full price of £200. The programming wasn't too much. So if you can get one of the blanks units that are cheap on eBay a decent key cutting shop can sort it. There is one key cutting shop in London I know that has the equipment to programme most keys. But the shops with that capabilty are few. Might be one near you at home?
Otherwise the better mobile car locksmiths can usually do it. Probably cheaper than the main dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.