MINI Cooper Forum banner

Flashing oil light on cold start up.

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  SeanC 
#1 ·
Had my 2006 One for a few days now and noticed this evening that when starting it whilst cold (hovering around 2°c) the oil light flickered and the engine briefly sounded a little tappety... :S

When I say briefly it was less than a second but being a new car that I am not used to I naturally worry. Is this a 'Mini'ism'? Should I be worried? The car had an oil service approx 3,000 miles ago (currently has 62,000 miles), could the garage of used the wrong oil? Due to parking restrictions where I live I have to park the car on the kerb (right hand side slightly elevated), could this cause a little starvation? Although no oil light before the drop in temperature.... Has been a steady 7-10°c since I picked her up.

Or...... Am i just panicking about nothing?!

Any tips or advice would be gratefully received!

#2 ·
Have you checked the oil level? The slight tappet noise could be the start of the timing chain tensioner begining to stick so id recommend sticking an engine flush in the oil and give it a good drive then change the oil and fit a genuine filter This is the very first thing I do when purchasing a vehicle as I never take anyones word for it when they say it's been serviced as I like to know what oil is in my engine and it's been done right! Best to stick a new sump plug on it too and get it from the dealers, they are about £4!

#4 ·
Issue all solved now.... All down to a low oil level. No more oil light!

Also changed the plugs today. HOW DEEP ARE THEY!!!?? Car drives completely different now, really responsive and dead solid idle. Never noticed such a difference on a car from changing the plugs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.