MINI Cooper Forum banner

Front & Rear Sidelights Coming On ~10 mins After Shutdown ?!

942 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Milpol 
#1 ·
Hey all,

So I bought my first Mini a month or so ago! (2005 Mini Cooper S). However there's 1 fault which seems to have plagued it.

On 4 or 5 occasions, after driving somewhere with the lights on (either headlights or sidelights), I'd pull up, turn the lights off, and switch the engine off (as per). However I'd walk out the house half an hour later and the sidelights (front and rear) have come on!

This hasn't happened every time, maybe 1 in 3 times. When I turn the engine off and lock the car, the lights are off, so at some point in the next half an hour they just come on 'by themselves'. The car has got the replacement front LED sidelights (which I know 'glow' a little bit even when off, this isn't the problem I'm referring to). I had considered at first that maybe it was the order I was turning them off (with respect to turning the engine off), but it's done it both when I've turned the lights off before and after the engine.

This seems an odd issue, and I've got no idea if it's something simple, or a fault with the car's ECU. Has anyone experienced this, or got any ideas for fixes or debugging??

Cheers!

See less See more
#2 ·
Get yourself an iCarsoft i910 or i910-II and run a diagnostic, if there are any codes, note them, then clear them and see if it continues. With the LED bulbs, are they the canbus type ? obviously, repair any issues that the codes show, especially if they return. The code reader will allow you to reset a multitude of issues like Oil Change, Service, Brakes, ABS etc but more importantly will pay for its self within the first two times you use it compared to what a dealership charges.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.