• 1 Post By anish1993

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2017, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 12:35 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Mini Cooper s super charger

Hi kind of new to this whole thing do have no idea if I have posted in the correct bit but had to try find out what was wrong if there actually is with my car. I seen a YouTube video of the same mark model year ect as mine ( 2003 plate Cooper s ) An I noticed that the whine of the super charger was more loud An noticeable then mine. Mine is very quiet and it got me thinking if there is anything wrong with mine ? The power still seems to be there An you can hear the super charger but not as much and clear as ones on videos I have seen, mine seems to be very quiet. Anyone who can help me would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2017, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

If there was something wrong with your supercharger it wouldn't be quiet.

It would be grinding/grumbling .

Most minis on upube have modded engines i:e

davef filter

15% supercharger reduction pulley

bigger intercooler

etc

all of which make the whine louder.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2017, 08:30 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

I doubt there is anything wrong, you most likely have a standard air filter, anything aftermarket will increase the the SC whine.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2017, 09:41 PM
MINI2 Senior

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Exactly as posted. I've put an Orranje Stealth CAI - Cold Air Intake on mine. Which I believe is the same as the DaveF referenced by Minione above. Pulley is still standard on mine. Changing (reducing) the pulley that drives the the supercharger (SC) makes the SC go faster at the same engine revs which therefore a) pumps more charge (the air and fuel that makes the bang that drives the piston) into the engine b) makes more whine.
Here is a link to KAV Motorsport who are one of the main suppliers of modified pulleys:
Mini Cooper S supercharger pulley

Back to whine. If you have a standard panel filter you won't hear the whine - much. With a CAI you will, much louder and nice if you like that kind of thing, which I for one, do.

Why is this I hear you ask. A CAI lets the intake side breath better. Most of them, inc. the Orranje CAI, require you to cut a larger hole in the plastic 'bulkhead' panel at the back of the engine so it sucks air in from there. Now it so happens that that is where the car gets air for the cabin ventilation system - the black plastic grills in front of the windscreen, in this case the one on the passenger side. So now the CAI is sucking air from there AND the cabin air is coming in through the same space. Therefore the whine of the SC slurping air through there can be heard much more loudly inside the cabin. And there you have it.

If you put said pulley on you will get even more whine.
Link to the Orranje Stealth CAI:
https://orranje.co.uk/product/orranj...air-intake-kit
You can go up to a 15% pulley without needing to go to a larger intercooler (IC). If you go 17% you need to sort the IC. That is because the more the SC compresses the air the hotter it gets (hotter air = bad). Therefore a larger IC will lower the temp of the air being pumped by the SC into the engine. And you would then need to remap the ECU to deal with it all.

The Orranje is very reasonable at £125. There are numbers of other CAIs which are much more money. One of the things I like about the Orranje, apart from the excellent whine, is that when you look in the engine bay you can't see it is fitted. Looks as though you still have the standard panel filter set up. Hence the 'Stealth' moniker.

Pic of it fitted and the panel to it's right that has the bigger hole cut in it - that you can't see.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000823.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	212658  
minione2002 likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2017, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just to get a better understanding. I went out today And when I accelerate the power is there no doubt about that you can still hear the super charger working. The only way I can describe the noise as is rough. There's no clanging banging screatching noises it just sounds abit I'll. I'm due a oil An filter change anyway which I was going to do this weekend could this be potentially why ?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2017, 02:12 PM
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 47 Post(s)

Loool i think the quieter the better.

You shud be worried if yours whines alot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NigelK likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2017, 10:21 PM
MINI2 Senior

Quoted: 66 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Jon, heads up on the lubrication of the supercharger. It has its own oil resevoir. Unlike a turbo, it isn't lubricated by the circulating engine oil. So doing the engine oil and filter won't affect the SC. There is no service or top up interval for the supercharger oil. BMW say it is 'for life'. It can use its oil or need it changing at high miles.

It needs removing to deal with it and it is a difficult job and a lot of work to get at it and put it back. If you have a minute flick through this guide. As you will see, the guy has the whole front off the car, rads and all, and THEN has to do a LOAD of work to get it out. There is a reason for that and it is not a nice one!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA9QIXtBGuM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.