MINI Cooper Forum banner

Multiple Radiator leaks...R50

7K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  ChaoticControl 
#1 ·
Hi
I've got a 2005 R50, with air-con, and since I've bought it I forever seem to have a coolant leak...
Replaced thermostat housing + gasket, and pressure cap, also expansion tank for good measure, still leaking.
So got a new radiator, and that seemed to settle things, but after 6 - 8 months that started leaking, returned to company and they confirmed it was leaking and sent a replacement under warranty. I never found out exactly where it was leaking from though.

Now my current radiator is seemingly leaking, there is coolant on the lip of the front bumper cover on the bottom nearside corner.
I have read it's a common fault for the radiator to leak in the bottom corner, but surely not on one that's less than a year old?!

So my question is does anyone know what causes the common leak?
Or is there anything else to check for leaks that would make coolant pool on the nearside corner?

Thanks.

#5 ·
i've found plenty of cars with a radiator leaking then replaced then somewhere down road leaks again, most of time down to pressure build up in water jacket rarely has had the impeller on water pump break up and lack of flow increases pressure in the system got a citroen c4 in at moment had same issues turned out to be water pump and heat build and pressure build up, remember when coolant gets near to boiling point it becomes steam this then amplifies the pressure and heat in the system, also do a head gasket sniff test, below link will give you if head gasket pressure issue or not,, if not then water pump thermostat check as well

BT-3 2x50ml COMBUSTION LEAK TESTER KIT CO2 HEAD GASKET TEST BLOCK CAR VAN MOTOR | eBay

#6 ·
And then there's the fan issue.

Check engine fuse (5amp), 30amp radiator fan fuse, and 50 amp fuse.

Actively plug fan in with jumpers to make sure it runs, no fan no cooling, water boils, increase in pressure.

My little bit of experience with these cars indicates that these fans are the Achilles heel.

#7 ·
Apologies for no follow up, haven't had the time to sort this yet!

Already have an alloy radiator, I know the coolant mix is fine, I replaced the fan awhile ago as I found the low speed wasn't working. I did check the hoses as much as I could with the limited space, seem fine..!

I very nearly replaced the water pump the last time I had the front end off, probably should have I guess! I think that'll be my next move, and sniff test.

#8 ·
#10 ·
Wow I can't believe I left it for so long, but I finally replaced the water pump!
A few notes just incase anyone comes across this thread with similar issues...

Certainly seemed like the pump was leaking from a couple of connections. Weep hole seemed clean though!

Alloy radiator seems fine, however the top S shaped hose from the radiator had been rubbing and ended up leaking too. It is a very snug fit for that hose with a bigger alloy radiator, and I had cut it to make the hose shorter, but it was apparently still catching on the alternator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.