Hi I finally solved one of the most common problems of the DSC
/RUN FLAT indicator lights fault . (well I hope I did
) From another thread it was mentioned that it was due to the STEERING ANGLE SENSOR. which is located mid way into the steering column. So how would you know its this?
- If you reset it from your dealership and there are NO electrical faults or just plainly no Faults found.
If this is the case then the BMW/MINI computer cannot recognize that its a mechanical fualt. since this sensor is sort of a potentiometer which will only create errors if the you move the steering wheel left and right.
SO if you dont want to go back again to MINI for a reset follow this:
1. Turn off engine
2. Open Fuse box located near the Foot rest and remove 5A FUSE located on F2 if you check out the cover of the panel this should be the DSC
3. Swithc igntion key to position 2 (the one before you fire up the engine) this should make the self check for the electronics and then the lights should go out.
4. Ignition back to position 1 re-insert 5A fuse and put back cover.
5. Start engine
This should remove the 2 indicator lights DSC
/RUN FLAT if they seem to be stubborn .
NOW IF IT KEEPS COMMING BACK AND YOU ARE OVER THE WARRANTY follow this
1. Remove plastic Cover underneath the steering column.
2. remove the screw on the STEERING Column near the "U" Jont .
3. Slide out the STEERING ANGLE SENSOR
4. Remove the connector sensor from the harness
5. Open the sensor carefully use a TORX screw driver for this
6. The potentiometer like disc should look like the one below with the contact brush. You will notice the tiny steel brush are all bent and worn out mine did with ony 5000km!!!. Why doesent this happen to other old BMW with DSC ? Must be a build defect since the switch lubricant or whatever grease they used was too thick which made these micro brush bend and eventually touch each other and break up which causes the fault
the small contact brush is tooo sensitve and maybe little by little it goes on and off . you will notice the fault should light up when your turning .
7. I just bent the contact brush more upward CAREFULLY! and cut off the small brush hanging (I wanted to solder something on like a flat pc of metal to simulate a contact shoe (and not like a brush) on this part but maybe nextime
8. Apply switch grease (in this case i used TAMIYA switch grease found on RC Shops)
9. Spread the Grease thinly but not to thin.
10. Re-assemble the S.A.S it doesent matter what position you put back the disc coz for me I forgot and it worked well
11. Before you put it back under the steeing column. try to plug it back the harness. start engine (make sure there are no DSC
/ RUN FLAT lights on if there is refer to the top for the reset) then try turning the wheel inside S.A.S. there shouldnt be any fault by then. If there is open it again and bend the contact brush upwards carefully.
12. This should solve that problem.... OR IF YO DONT WANT TO GO THROUGH THIS AND YOU GUYS ARE STILL ON WARRANTY BETTER HAVE IT REPLACED WITH A NEW SENSOR.
I noticed that other BMW Steering angle sensors (cars with DSC
) are also compatible and might be better . I went to my dealership and noticed the MADE IN IRELAND sensor to be better build quality than what we have currently. Hmmmm better tell this to your BMW/MINI dealership. If they replace it from the same batch it will come out again.
Our steering angle sensor part num is 37-14-6760-232
They told me its the same with this 37-14-1-094-142 MADE IN IRELAND and maybe better build quality
ask your dealer if they can replace it with that.
Hope this helps you
Let me know