MINI Cooper Forum banner

Door Won't Open!!

7K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  RDMac 
#1 ·
When it's freezing outside my driver's door won't open on my Cooper. The central locking mechanism works fine but when you pull the door handle nothing happens, even from the inside when you pull the handle it just won't open (the passenger door and boot are fine).

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?

#30 ·
I have the same problem, You unlock the car all doors and boot unlock but drivers locks it's self again. I use the key and I can get in, BUT today I couldnt get out climbed over the copnsold used the key and still nothing. Got the car booked in for it's 1st year service and they are looking at it on Feb 12th Will let you know the out come.

#31 ·
Had a similar problem this morning, the car was frozen solid, managed to get in the drivers door, took a good pull on the handle.

Got in drove about 5 miles to the petrol station, tried to open the door from the inside to get out, could I? hahaha, nope, was stuck, opened the window to try the handle outside, no luck. So just had to drive on, good job I still had half a tank.

I thought oh god what if i had an accident etc?? But looking back now it is very funny, I would have been laughing more if I was watching someone else try to get out their car:D:D:D

#32 ·
there are 2 different faults you are talking about on here.the first one is if you can pull the handle and it moves freely it is the part of the outside handle closest to the edge of the door .it gets snow or water in the opening and dosnt return fully so the lock inside the door cant operate.if you flick the snow or ice out it will work.if you cant move the handle at all it is frozen cables.they need to be replaced.

#33 ·
What about the window sticking to the rubber, thus not being able to drop, thus not being able to open the door.

Is that 'Bad Door design issue 3' ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.