IMPORTANT. Have you had a power steering pump failure? Please vote YES or NO!!! - Page 21 - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > MINI Technical Forums > MINI Faults & Fixes > First Generation Faults & Fixes

First Generation Faults & Fixes MINI faults and fixes 2001 - 2006

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: IMPORTANT. Have you had a power steering/pump failure? YES or NO only please.
NO. I have *NOT* had a steering failure in my MINIs, 696 34.87%
YES. I have had *ONE* steering failure in my MINIs, 1,112 55.71%
YES. I have had *TWO* steering failures in my MINIs, 112 5.61%
YES. I have had *THREE* steering failures in my MINIs, 24 1.20%
YES. I have had *MORE THAN THREE* steering failures in my MINIs. 52 2.61%
Voters: 1996. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Power steering pump???? MJHawkins Maintenance & MINI Care 6 Aug 29th, 2014 05:06 PM
power steering pump & fan replacement Qs canucklehead First Generation MINI Cooper S 2 Jun 7th, 2014 01:59 AM
R50 power steering pump Rally370 First Generation Faults & Fixes 2 Jul 24th, 2013 03:23 PM
Need advise on power steering failure aioxen First Generation Faults & Fixes 11 May 28th, 2013 03:33 PM
Power Steering pump on the blink...? cooper357 First Generation Faults & Fixes 8 Aug 21st, 2012 11:26 PM

LinkBack (28) Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.20 average.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 01:24 PM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 09:16 PM
United States Male View valnmike's Chili Red & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile
Old post in MINI USA OL site: Jul 9, 2006 5:35 PM

My 2003 MC with 44,500 miles on it is in the shop this weekend because the P/S failed. I was motoring along on Friday and discovered it when I made a turn; no power assist. A rather unpleasant surprise to say the least. I'm glad I didn't end up swinging wide and taking out someone on the other side of the street. The thing is it was working again when I started it up to take it to the dealer. They [MINI of Towson, MD] said that happens sometimes, but they would probably end up replacing the pump.

Today, 28 Mar 2007:

It looks like US DOT NHTSA might be investigating the power steering problems on the MINI. I submitted my p/s problems to the NHTSA complaint site because of the number of other posts I'd read about p/s problems and in two or three other cases, fires. I did not submit because I was dissatisfied with the repair response from MINI, but because others with the problem were not getting satisfaction from MINI. If there are enough complaints filed, they will investigate and possibly order recalls or force warranty extensions. I received the e-mail below the other day. I faxed the repair order this morning. If you've had a power steering problem on your MINI and live in the USA, you can file a complaint with NITHSA on line at his address:

IVOQ - File a Complaint

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your report to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) concerning the power steering incident on your 2003 Mini Cooper.

To assist the Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) in evaluating this issue, please, if available, email or fax me a copy of repair invoice.

Thanks.

Steve Chan
ODI/NHTSA
(202) 366-8537

-=Mike=- laissez les bons temps rouler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 28th, 2007, 01:54 PM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 02:16 AM
England View matt1985's Classified Ads
Ive only had my cooper for a few months but i dont want to tempt fate and vote!

*play it safe*
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 10:35 PM
Buy a Fabia vRS instead!

England View waynef's Dark Silver & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
Quote: Originally Posted by abbimini (original)
My pump ran all the time - locked up alarm set but alarm kept runing - replaced by the dealers - out of warranty so i got a bill for round about £500

Ah that sucks. Sorry to hear that.

In other news...
I saw my second MCS today, it looked great! Had nice new wheels on it too, quite spooky.

Wayne
Faults: BK52MXM, BN53ZDZ
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 10:42 PM
LMC 001
Send a message via MSN to Matts Mini Adventure

Local Time: 01:16 AM
United Kingdom Male View Matts Mini Adventure's Solid Black & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
Hey,

2 minis both had steering rack, cloumn n pump changed, first 1 my eb/w the steering was kind of knocking and wasn't smooth, second one had pump leak n needed new rack hose n pump
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:00 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male
HELP! My powersteering failed on the way home tonight on the dual carriageway. I checked it still has powersteering fluid but no sounds of life from the pump!

Guess i have to go back to the dreaded dealer tomorrow. My MCS is out of warranty and i was wondering whether i need a new Powersteering pump? Has anyone had to pay for one and how much would it cost to rectify?

Any help much appreciated.

R

Old May 2nd, 2007, 11:01 AM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom
This may be of help for the cooper S owners, it gets more cooling air into the fan,not that expensive -around £45 , -in stock !!!! easy to fit item ,only 4 screws and about 5 mins to fit,certainly cheaper and easier than a new pump replacement-send me a PM if you would like me to send you one
regards Adam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STA70547.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	132241  
Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:54 PM
Buy a Fabia vRS instead!

Quote: Originally Posted by radfordmini (original)
HELP! My powersteering failed on the way home tonight on the dual carriageway. I checked it still has powersteering fluid but no sounds of life from the pump!

Guess i have to go back to the dreaded dealer tomorrow. My MCS is out of warranty and i was wondering whether i need a new Powersteering pump? Has anyone had to pay for one and how much would it cost to rectify?

Any help much appreciated.

R

*ouch* Sounds expensive

Quote: Originally Posted by MINIMANIAUK (original)
This may be of help for the cooper S owners, it gets more cooling air into the fan,not that expensive -around £45 , -in stock !!!! easy to fit item ,only 4 screws and about 5 mins to fit,certainly cheaper and easier than a new pump replacement-send me a PM if you would like me to send you one
regards Adam

I often wondered about the size of the engine-bay vs. how much was going on inside it on my MCS's, this would have been something I would have bought in 10seconds flat. Well done whoever designed it!

Wayne
Old May 4th, 2007, 06:56 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom
waynef-it was Designed by BMW MINI- well done 10/10 ....... ,failing to either retrofit or tell anyone about it 0/10 (I would have said priceless... but it cost some folk£500!!!)
Old May 4th, 2007, 07:03 PM
LMC 001
Send a message via MSN to Matts Mini Adventure

Local Time: 01:16 AM
United Kingdom Male View Matts Mini Adventure's Solid Black & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
Quote: Originally Posted by Matts Mini Adventure (original)
Hey,

2 minis both had steering rack, cloumn n pump changed, first 1 my eb/w the steering was kind of knocking and wasn't smooth, second one had pump leak n needed new rack hose n pump

Now My Sisters 05 MC has needed a new rack column and pump after hers was knocking, all three minis we have owned have now needed all the same new parts
Old May 11th, 2007, 04:31 PM
MINI2 Newbie
Send a message via Skype™ to myns mini

United Kingdom
Mini Cooper 03

first MOT Failed due to leaking steering pump 04/06
inspected by bmw found to be needing new pump,column and rack

failed MOT 05/07 (12 months &3 weeks later) leaking steering pump
going to be inspected by bmw but have been told it's now out of warranty!!!

local dealer in Milton Keynes
so i'm afraid this great little car is going to get booted and replaced with either a civic Type R or the s200

any thoughts on where i stand in relation of the warranty
Cheers
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Buy a Fabia vRS instead!

Unless BMW/MINI's warranty stance has changed, you are up for a HUGE fight if you want to reclaim your losses. They'll wheel out the "That's what the warranty is for" line.

As for being out of warranty, only exceptional car dealers will do things for free... incidentally, my Skoda Fabia vRS recently had it's first MOT. It's done 10,000 miles over it's warranty and failed because one of the front ball-joints had slightly excessive play. The Skoda dealer replaced it for free, to get it through the MOT. No questions.

I am so glad I bought a Skoda!

Wayne
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 07:12 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 06:16 PM
United States
2003 MINI power steering failure

My MINI has been very fun to have for the past 5 years, and the unfortunate power steering failure occured fairly recently (June 27, 2007). The engine compartment caught fire and I had to call the fire department when it re-ignited. The fire damaged the main wiring harness and the battery. So three components need to be replaced. The mileage was at 65500 when this occured. It is the end of July and I still do not have my car. Luckily I was not in the car when it caught fire, but the odd thing was that I had only driven it for a few seconds to move from one parking space to another.

I have filed a report with the Consumer Affairs of Transportation and was informed they have been trying for some time to get a recall notice for the power steering issue. If you have not done so, please contact Derek Rinehardt at 202.366.3642 drinehardt@dot.gov

**More cases of the power steering failure can be found at myCarStats website**

I also tried contacting the BMW national headquarters but have only received one response. Here is that contact information as well:
Jase Gammon
MINI Customer Relations and Services
Representative
866.ASK.MINI (866.275.6464)
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 02:14 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Just had a power steering failure - the car has done less than 40000, but is out of warranty. BMW are being unhelpful and suggesting I get it fixed (£658 + VAT) and then approach MINI UK for a goodwill payment. I’d rather get that arranged first before shelling out, so I’m trying to gather some ammunition.
This thread started in 2004 by trying to get people to contact VOSA. I’ve gone through all 16 pages and can’t see that there’s been any outcome to that – does anyone know if it’s succeeded or has it just died a death?
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 02:37 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Yet another steering rack failure

Quote: Originally Posted by ken.lavender (original)
Just had a power steering failure - the car has done less than 40000, but is out of warranty. BMW are being unhelpful and suggesting I get it fixed (£658 + VAT) and then approach MINI UK for a goodwill payment. Iíd rather get that arranged first before shelling out, so Iím trying to gather some ammunition.
This thread started in 2004 by trying to get people to contact VOSA. Iíve gone through all 16 pages and canít see that thereís been any outcome to that Ė does anyone know if itís succeeded or has it just died a death?

Just had my Cooper S in for an MOT at the weekend and I'm slapped with a bill for over £900 for a failed steering rack! Seems the seals have leaked, like so many others listed on this thread. The car is an 03, so the warranty is long gone, but its only covered 20k miles and I thought a steering rack failure was a bit excessive for such low millage. Needless to say I googled this issues for a common failure mode and found this thread .

The car is due to be repaired on Wednesday at my expense ... but not without a fight.

Anywhose I printed out the last few pages from the forum, especially quotes from "minimaniauk" (thx for the info posted 7th Nov. 06) and went in to confront the dealership (David Holmes Manchester). The response in this case, without argument, or even checking the cars history with the mechanic, was to fill out a "dealership warranty claim form" and forward/email to mini-UK today (Mini-UK don't appear to run a telephone service of any description, even for dealerships ... is/can this be true?). I should have an answer by Wednesday lunchtime as to whether they will reject the claim, pay parts or parts and "some labour", and any discount will be debited from by final bill when I collect the car on Wednesday

It was difficult to tell whether the response from the dealer was "standard", someone is complaining, so pass the buck on to Mini-UK, or "we've heard this one a thousand times", so some form of warranty payout is likely . I'll post the outcome on this thread and fingers crossed I've not lost out to the tune of £900!

I guess a re-call for so many Mini's would be expensive business both in terms of cost and publicity, so BMW are probably operating a low profile system of payout/fight on a case by case basis for these issues.... which is bad new for all us Mini fans.
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 10:22 AM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom
I have stripped down a number of the failed motor/pumps and all have excessive carbon /brush deposits and dust , there is no provision for the carbon dust to escape and it builds up inside the motor- carbon is conductive -
vents in the motor would help ,but also allow water/moisture in .The location on the car makes this option not viable. the carbon brush material however could have been altered to one less prone to dusting-
Heat build up in the motor will not help ,the "dust" turns into a kind of "paste" coating the inside-commutator and brush blocks and windings - remember it is a conductive paste!!!

Mileage will be less of guide to the build up of carbon, the useage will be more important, by useage I mean the type of driving cycle ie lots of very low speed or parking actions put a greater load on the motor and pump , so brush wear increases and so does the heat build up- without any benefits of cooler air flowing under the car.
any added cooling must help

Certainly there seem to be a number of failures with the pump,just how common it is only BMW would know,what constitutes a "common" or design failure again only BMW would know.

MTBF - Mean Time Between Failure
A lot of components are rated with a MTBF but I dont know the criteria that are used by BMW or what is considered normal

£900 is a sum best avoided,good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , , , ,

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mini2.com/forum/first-generation-faults-fixes/49527-important-have-you-had-power-steering-pump-failure-please-vote-yes-no.html
Posted By For Type Date
MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring - Spontaneous engine bay fires! This thread Refback Apr 4th, 2009 01:07 AM
Volvo Performance Parts, Volvo Tamd70C, Volvo 240 Radio Wiring - Pandadog This thread Refback Mar 14th, 2009 09:47 AM
New Electric Sports Car, Pacific Electric Red Car, Used Electric Car Lift - Arcmirror This thread Refback Mar 11th, 2009 03:49 PM
Buy A Used Car Online Auto Cheap Insurance, Buy Cheap Car Insurance Now, Buy Car Used Car Cheap Insurance - Tempiichampion This thread Refback Mar 10th, 2009 03:56 PM
Bmw Radiator, Replacement Motorcycle Radiators, 1927 Ford Radiator - Wirerings This thread Refback Mar 10th, 2009 01:53 PM
Carefreerecovery Blog Archive Electric Mini Cooper, Electric Kit Cars, Electric Model Cars This thread Refback Mar 8th, 2009 06:28 PM
Car Insurance Low Price Uk, Car Insurance List Insurence Uk, Car Insurance Low Rate Uk - Billsquires This thread Refback Mar 8th, 2009 04:27 PM
Oberthur Cosmo Dual 72K Card, Obd Detector Need For 1994 Buick Park Avenue, Obrain Credit Header Info Online - Ethosgas This thread Refback Mar 8th, 2009 01:36 PM
MINI-FORUM - Ohjaustehostin vinkuu? This thread Refback Mar 2nd, 2009 11:09 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback Feb 27th, 2009 07:42 AM
MINI-FORUM - Ohjaustehostin vinkuu? This thread Refback Feb 26th, 2009 08:51 PM
How many liters of CHF - 11S do i need to change or flush 05 Mini Cooper S power steering? - Yahoo! Answers This thread Refback Feb 25th, 2009 11:02 PM
Bekijk topic - Stuurbekrachtiging hapert This thread Refback Feb 19th, 2009 11:03 AM
Untitled document This thread Pingback Feb 19th, 2009 09:35 AM
Bekijk topic - Stuurbekrachtiging hapert This thread Refback Feb 19th, 2009 06:10 AM
Bekijk topic - Stuurbekrachtiging hapert This thread Refback Feb 18th, 2009 08:45 PM
MINI Power Steering Pump Failure? Yes or No - Page 3 - Mini Torque This thread Pingback Feb 18th, 2009 12:03 AM
Mini Cooper electric power steering pump - anyone else done it? This thread Refback Feb 17th, 2009 02:19 AM
MINI-FORUM - Ohjaustehostin vinkuu? This thread Refback Feb 3rd, 2009 10:52 PM
Mini one Power steering problem? - Yahoo! Answers This thread Refback Jan 26th, 2009 04:58 PM
MINI-FORUM - Ohjaustehostin vinkuu? This thread Refback Jan 13th, 2009 06:04 AM
Mini one Power steering problem? - Yahoo! Answers This thread Refback Jan 10th, 2009 05:28 AM
Mini (BMW) Service cost - boards.ie This thread Refback Jan 7th, 2009 06:02 PM
MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring - Spontaneous Engine Bay Fires! This thread Refback Dec 29th, 2008 05:33 PM
Mini (BMW) Service cost - boards.ie This thread Refback Dec 14th, 2008 02:19 PM
Mini (BMW) Service cost - boards.ie This thread Refback Dec 11th, 2008 08:09 PM
FAULTS AND FIXES on MINI2 - Fuel For Your MINI Obsession - MINI Cooper - S - One - Diesel - Works - Cabrio | BoardReader This thread Refback Nov 19th, 2008 11:20 AM
Untitled document This thread Pingback Mar 5th, 2007 12:40 AM