IMPORTANT. Have you had a power steering pump failure? Please vote YES or NO!!! - Page 3 - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > MINI Technical Forums > MINI Faults & Fixes > First Generation Faults & Fixes

First Generation Faults & Fixes MINI faults and fixes 2001 - 2006

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: IMPORTANT. Have you had a power steering/pump failure? YES or NO only please.
NO. I have *NOT* had a steering failure in my MINIs, 696 34.94%
YES. I have had *ONE* steering failure in my MINIs, 1,108 55.62%
YES. I have had *TWO* steering failures in my MINIs, 112 5.62%
YES. I have had *THREE* steering failures in my MINIs, 24 1.20%
YES. I have had *MORE THAN THREE* steering failures in my MINIs. 52 2.61%
Voters: 1992. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Power steering pump???? MJHawkins Maintenance & MINI Care 6 Aug 29th, 2014 04:06 PM
power steering pump & fan replacement Qs canucklehead First Generation MINI Cooper S 2 Jun 7th, 2014 12:59 AM
R50 power steering pump Rally370 First Generation Faults & Fixes 2 Jul 24th, 2013 02:23 PM
Need advise on power steering failure aioxen First Generation Faults & Fixes 11 May 28th, 2013 02:33 PM
Power Steering pump on the blink...? cooper357 First Generation Faults & Fixes 8 Aug 21st, 2012 10:26 PM

LinkBack (28) Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.20 average.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 10:34 PM
MINI2 Premium Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
MINI2 No.1
Send a message via Skype™ to Paul

Local Time: 04:03 PM
England Male
Despite having steering problems on two of our four MINIs and believing this is quite a major issue (which I've been told has been looked at/rectified, although I've just spoken to someone today with steering problems) I still have to say you've got to take into account that "apathy rules" and if you've not had a problem, there's a very high chance you wont even bother to look at this thread, let alone vote.

Therefore, while 77% (or whatever it is just now) of those who've voted have not had problems, there's probably a MUCH higher proportion who've had no problem, and haven't bothered looking in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 12th, 2004, 10:54 PM
Buy a Fabia vRS instead!

England View waynef's Dark Silver & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
Thumbs up Agreed. But then again...

Quote: Originally Posted by Paul Mullett
Despite having steering problems on two of our four MINIs and believing this is quite a major issue (which I've been told has been looked at/rectified, although I've just spoken to someone today with steering problems) I still have to say you've got to take into account that "apathy rules" and if you've not had a problem, there's a very high chance you wont even bother to look at this thread, let alone vote.

Therefore, while 77% (or whatever it is just now) of those who've voted have not had problems, there's probably a MUCH higher proportion who've had no problem, and haven't bothered looking in.

Agreed Paul,

Thats entirely the reason why I made the title as vibrant as it could be with the word "IMPORTANT" and "Please vote YES or NO" because I understand that simple fact regarding apathy. Hence the reason also why I am going onto as many of the other steering related threads on here trying to drum up support for this poll. This poll is just that after all, without a fair chance though, no one can say and BMW can successfully continue to pull the wool over our collective eyes.

I'd really appreciate you making it "Sticky", then things would be more objective. Pretty please.

Thanks again for agreeing with my original thoughts.

Wayne
Faults: BK52MXM, BN53ZDZ
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 11:42 PM
work, work, work...

Local Time: 11:03 AM
United States View agiduda's Dark Silver & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
80 votes from a total of how many MINIs sold?
Trash stats.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 11:49 PM
Buy a Fabia vRS instead!

Exclamation Hmmm...

Quote: Originally Posted by agiduda
80 votes from a total of how many MINIs sold?
Trash stats.

That's a little strong, but your right ofcourse at this stage, the sample set is too small.

Feel free to comment though if you know of a better way to capture this information.

...you've got to start somewhere.

Wayne
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 11:57 PM
work, work, work...

Unfortunately only BMW has the real stats. Goonery may have an insight but I would not expect him to divulge much. Maybe keeping an eye on what the US NHTSA publishes will be worthwhile. in the meantime I will keep an eye on my own pump system
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 12:02 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
I've already posted twice on this matter and the only thing that doses worry me is my scenario. I've decided on Monday, totally unworried, that maybe possibly my steering is a bit noiser than I thought it should be and I happened to be passing the dealership that I bought it from. There was no failure or anything from steering, it was ok. So I go in and they say that it doesn't sound right, they need to take a closer look, so it's booked in for the wednesday. Not the Tuesday because they have to order some spare parts. Fair enough, mini goes in wednesday, come later on Weds they ring me to say the car won't be available as they haven't completed the work, as they have had to change the complete steering rack and power steering associated componenents. Now this leads me to think, that if on monday they saw what appeared to me to be a fairly minor problem that turned out to be a major problem, That they ordered the whole rack and power steering parts in to eventually resolve the problem, it does sort of smell of an issue they were already aware about. This is sounds fairly negative, but it could noy have been a more pleasurable experience as far as dealers go. They collected the car and delivered it back to the house. I asked for a bit of internal trim to be replaced. On the C post where the little picture of the rear seat belt is and the rear seat belt feeds through, I had put a scratch in it with the dogs cage. The bit of trim cost 14.52 GBP, 52.86GBP to fit!!!!!!! That's reasonable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 12:21 AM
work, work, work...

The thing that worries me is the fact there is a cooling fan on the underside for cooling the pump. To me this is an indication of a weakness that has a bandaid applied in the form of the fan. Add to that the design change that moves the breaker for the rad fans off the pump fan circuit. The whole setup gives me something to keep an eye on in the realm of long term use and reliability.
But then, I own a 3rd gen RX-7, compared to the worries of that beast I consider the MCS worry free.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 12:28 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Talking

I have to add to this, as soon as I got her back I had to give her a good spanking, rip roaring thrash around the lanes of Kent and Surrey just to test my new steering out. And she didn't disappoint, but there again I never fell out of love in the first place!!!!!! Still and always will be so much Funnnnnnnnnnn With a Capital FFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 12:52 AM
Buy a Fabia vRS instead!

Quote: Originally Posted by aharte
I have to add to this, as soon as I got her back I had to give her a good spanking, rip roaring thrash around the lanes of Kent and Surrey just to test my new steering out. And she didn't disappoint, but there again I never fell out of love in the first place!!!!!! Still and always will be so much Funnnnnnnnnnn With a Capital FFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!

I understand where your coming (or going) from!

Wayne
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 12:58 AM
Buy a Fabia vRS instead!

DIY Goonery

Unfortunately only BMW has the real stats. Goonery may have an insight but I would not expect him to divulge much. Maybe keeping an eye on what the US NHTSA publishes will be worthwhile. in the meantime I will keep an eye on my own pump system

Goonery has already commented briefly on this matter. He is though, by his own admission, not privvy to the complete information loop within BMW/MINI and can only comment from his knowledge during the manufacturing process. He did say though sometime ago that he knew of a bad batch of pumps back in September 2002, that would explain my first MINI's first failure. It doesn't however explain it's second failure in March 2003, or my brand-new September 2003 build MINI, that failed in December 2003.

Form your own opinion, but I feel (and it's being slowly backed up by others opinions too like aharte here), that something smells a more than a little off here. One might say "ratty" even?

Wayne
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 01:09 AM
Buy a Fabia vRS instead!

Hells teeth!

I've just noticed that one user (slegorreta) has reported MORE THAN 3 FAILURES!!!

Wayne
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 01:41 PM
work, work, work...

Something isn't right here. It is very unlikely that anyone will end up with three bad pumps in a row. Can those with mulitple failures contact each other and compare notes on driving style, usual ambient temps and how much stop and go traffic is done? Also I assume that all have made sure the cooling fan on the underside is operating.
Beyond that I wonder about debris in the pump oil. If the dealer does not flush the system when changing pumps you will probably trash every pump put on.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 09:41 PM
Buy a Fabia vRS instead!

Exclamation Here's my information...

Something isn't right here. It is very unlikely that anyone will end up with three bad pumps in a row. Can those with mulitple failures contact each other and compare notes on driving style, usual ambient temps and how much stop and go traffic is done? Also I assume that all have made sure the cooling fan on the underside is operating.
Beyond that I wonder about debris in the pump oil. If the dealer does not flush the system when changing pumps you will probably trash every pump put on.

MINI #1: BK52MXM
Failure #1: Car parked on my drive in a slightly nose-down attitude for 8 hours. Started engine in morning and steering did not work. Recovered.

Ambient temperature: ~25c
Age of car: 6 months

Failure #2: Car driven on motorway at a steady 70mph, non-stop for 110miles. At the end of that journey, the steering failed whilst pulling into a parking space and the car careers off over the next four parking spaces! Recovered.
Ambient temperature: ~25c.
Age of car: 12 months

MINI #2: ??53???
Failure #3: 1 month old car left on my mothers totally flat drive, while I go on a holiday of a lifetime in Australia. I return back, jet-lagged, 4 weeks later. I get into the car and start it, and the steering did not work. Recovered.

Ambient temperate: ~0c
Age of car: 2 months

Does that help? I am not at all sure that there's any pattern matey. Only that BMW offer us all a lot of flannel.

Wayne

Last edited by waynef; Feb 13th, 2004 at 10:30 PM. Reason: 4 weeks instead of 2
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 09:53 PM
work, work, work...

Not enough to draw any conclusions on. Probably the next best thing is to do an autopsy on a failed pump. Any donors?
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 09:56 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
6X therapist

View Goonery's Classified Ads
I'm still interested, but I've looked at stats from worldwide sales and cannot find any pattern that points to a particular problem with PAS pumps across vehicles built since 2001, this takes into account all climates and many different driving conditions, nearly 500,000 cars built now and nothing to point at PAS pumps as being a major weakness. Not saying that you are wrong , but coincidence could be a factor. frankly I'm puzzled.
Have you still got the car?.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , , , ,

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mini2.com/forum/first-generation-faults-fixes/49527-important-have-you-had-power-steering-pump-failure-please-vote-yes-no.html
Posted By For Type Date
MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring - Spontaneous engine bay fires! This thread Refback Apr 4th, 2009 12:07 AM
Volvo Performance Parts, Volvo Tamd70C, Volvo 240 Radio Wiring - Pandadog This thread Refback Mar 14th, 2009 08:47 AM
New Electric Sports Car, Pacific Electric Red Car, Used Electric Car Lift - Arcmirror This thread Refback Mar 11th, 2009 02:49 PM
Buy A Used Car Online Auto Cheap Insurance, Buy Cheap Car Insurance Now, Buy Car Used Car Cheap Insurance - Tempiichampion This thread Refback Mar 10th, 2009 02:56 PM
Bmw Radiator, Replacement Motorcycle Radiators, 1927 Ford Radiator - Wirerings This thread Refback Mar 10th, 2009 12:53 PM
Carefreerecovery Blog Archive Electric Mini Cooper, Electric Kit Cars, Electric Model Cars This thread Refback Mar 8th, 2009 05:28 PM
Car Insurance Low Price Uk, Car Insurance List Insurence Uk, Car Insurance Low Rate Uk - Billsquires This thread Refback Mar 8th, 2009 03:27 PM
Oberthur Cosmo Dual 72K Card, Obd Detector Need For 1994 Buick Park Avenue, Obrain Credit Header Info Online - Ethosgas This thread Refback Mar 8th, 2009 12:36 PM
MINI-FORUM - Ohjaustehostin vinkuu? This thread Refback Mar 2nd, 2009 10:09 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback Feb 27th, 2009 06:42 AM
MINI-FORUM - Ohjaustehostin vinkuu? This thread Refback Feb 26th, 2009 07:51 PM
How many liters of CHF - 11S do i need to change or flush 05 Mini Cooper S power steering? - Yahoo! Answers This thread Refback Feb 25th, 2009 10:02 PM
Bekijk topic - Stuurbekrachtiging hapert This thread Refback Feb 19th, 2009 10:03 AM
Untitled document This thread Pingback Feb 19th, 2009 08:35 AM
Bekijk topic - Stuurbekrachtiging hapert This thread Refback Feb 19th, 2009 05:10 AM
Bekijk topic - Stuurbekrachtiging hapert This thread Refback Feb 18th, 2009 07:45 PM
MINI Power Steering Pump Failure? Yes or No - Page 3 - Mini Torque This thread Pingback Feb 17th, 2009 11:03 PM
Mini Cooper electric power steering pump - anyone else done it? This thread Refback Feb 17th, 2009 01:19 AM
MINI-FORUM - Ohjaustehostin vinkuu? This thread Refback Feb 3rd, 2009 09:52 PM
Mini one Power steering problem? - Yahoo! Answers This thread Refback Jan 26th, 2009 03:58 PM
MINI-FORUM - Ohjaustehostin vinkuu? This thread Refback Jan 13th, 2009 05:04 AM
Mini one Power steering problem? - Yahoo! Answers This thread Refback Jan 10th, 2009 04:28 AM
Mini (BMW) Service cost - boards.ie This thread Refback Jan 7th, 2009 05:02 PM
MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring - Spontaneous Engine Bay Fires! This thread Refback Dec 29th, 2008 04:33 PM
Mini (BMW) Service cost - boards.ie This thread Refback Dec 14th, 2008 01:19 PM
Mini (BMW) Service cost - boards.ie This thread Refback Dec 11th, 2008 07:09 PM
FAULTS AND FIXES on MINI2 - Fuel For Your MINI Obsession - MINI Cooper - S - One - Diesel - Works - Cabrio | BoardReader This thread Refback Nov 19th, 2008 10:20 AM
Untitled document This thread Pingback Mar 4th, 2007 11:40 PM