IMPORTANT. Have you had a power steering pump failure? Please vote YES or NO!!! - Page 4 - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > MINI Technical Forums > MINI Faults & Fixes > First Generation Faults & Fixes

First Generation Faults & Fixes MINI faults and fixes 2001 - 2006

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: IMPORTANT. Have you had a power steering/pump failure? YES or NO only please.
NO. I have *NOT* had a steering failure in my MINIs, 693 35.04%
YES. I have had *ONE* steering failure in my MINIs, 1,100 55.61%
YES. I have had *TWO* steering failures in my MINIs, 109 5.51%
YES. I have had *THREE* steering failures in my MINIs, 24 1.21%
YES. I have had *MORE THAN THREE* steering failures in my MINIs. 52 2.63%
Voters: 1978. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
power steering pump & fan replacement Qs canucklehead First Generation MINI Cooper S 2 Jun 7th, 2014 12:59 AM
R50 power steering pump Rally370 First Generation Faults & Fixes 2 Jul 24th, 2013 02:23 PM
Need advise on power steering failure aioxen First Generation Faults & Fixes 11 May 28th, 2013 02:33 PM
Power steering pump???? MJHawkins Maintenance & MINI Care 4 Sep 18th, 2012 12:49 PM
Power Steering pump on the blink...? cooper357 First Generation Faults & Fixes 8 Aug 21st, 2012 10:26 PM

LinkBack (28) Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.20 average.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 09:56 PM
Buy a Fabia vRS instead!

Local Time: 01:07 PM
England View waynef's Dark Silver & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
Thumbs down Hmmm...

Quote: Originally Posted by agiduda
Not enough to draw any conclusions on. Probably the next best thing is to do an autopsy on a failed pump. Any donors?

...like do you think BMW are going to let you have it back to 'play' with?

No chance.

Wayne
Faults: BK52MXM, BN53ZDZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 13th, 2004, 10:11 PM
Buy a Fabia vRS instead!

Smile Hi!

Quote: Originally Posted by goonery
I'm still interested, but I've looked at stats from worldwide sales and cannot find any pattern that points to a particular problem with PAS pumps across vehicles built since 2001, this takes into account all climates and many different driving conditions, nearly 500,000 cars built now and nothing to point at PAS pumps as being a major weakness. Not saying that you are wrong , but coincidence could be a factor. frankly I'm puzzled.
Have you still got the car?.

Hi goonery,

Yes I am on my last week with the MINI
Nice to see that your still interested with this one. I just wish that it wasn't me though because I really love the MINI, that's the reason why I deliberately wanted a replacement for the crappy first one and not a refund. The dealership (and I) have just become tired of trying to "...make you happy Wayne, that will never happen", so their DP tells me. He also told me that, as bold as brass "MINI is not a BMW and it definately not as high quality as that Wayne. I've had that arguemen twith other people before...". This was just before they pledged to pay me back some of my money, but NOT the £800 that I had to pay to get my hands on the replacement. Disgraceful practice. I just wish I could meet with Mike Allen the BMW Area Manager to express my concerns to someone who might give a .

On the subject of "the dealership" that we spoke of sometime ago, I called the other day to arrange a final hand-over of the car (for tomorrow originally) but my salesman that I have always gone through there, "No long works here". Oops.

I'd be very pleased to talk further with anyone at BMW/MINI who wants to listen to my constructive comments. I just want what best for the MINI after all...

Wayne
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 10:20 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
6X therapist

View Goonery's Classified Ads
Quote: Originally Posted by waynef
Hi goonery,

Yes I am on my last week with the MINI
. He also told me that, as bold as brass "MINI is not a BMW and it definately not as high quality as that Wayne. I've had that arguemen twith other people before...".
I'd be very pleased to talk further with anyone at BMW/MINI who wants to listen to my constructive comments. I just want what best for the MINI after all...

Can you get thet on tape/writing Easter is coming and I'm looking to crucify someone, I'm not joking . PM me drive my MC and find something wrong with 6000 miles in less than 3 months. Its faultless and straight off the line.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 11:02 PM
Buy a Fabia vRS instead!

Question PM sent

Can you get thet on tape/writing Easter is coming and I'm looking to crucify someone, I'm not joking . PM me drive my MC and find something wrong with 6000 miles in less than 3 months. Its faultless and straight off the line.

PM sent. Do you want to crucify me? Or the dealer?

Wayne
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 11:04 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
6X therapist

View Goonery's Classified Ads
PM sent. Do you want to crucify me? Or the dealer?

Dealer would be appropriate methinks
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 11:18 PM
Buy a Fabia vRS instead!

Lightbulb Tee hee.

Dealer would be appropriate methinks

Anything could happen in the final 7 days of my MINI ownership.

Wayne
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 02:29 AM
Brass Cannons

Local Time: 11:07 PM
Barbados
Quote: Originally Posted by seneville
I just recently took my 2004 (sept. 2003 build, 6000 mi.) in because my power steering was going in and out. I only noticed it at slow speeds and everytime i started the car. Dealer checked for leaks and found nothing. In the end, they just re-filled my PS fluid and called it a day. I'm a little worried as to how i'm losing fluid if they can't find any leaks.

I'v just experienced the same problem (power steering going in and out) same with mine just at slow speed, once last night when pulling out of a parking spot, and once today changing lanes in slow traffic. I'v just got home and come straight on line to see if anyone else has had similar problems. I am now myself when I see how many other people have had steering problems. I'm off to my dealer in the morning, I will post what they advise me.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 08:36 PM
Buy a Fabia vRS instead!

Australia Welcome

Quote: Originally Posted by alan earnshaw
I'v just experienced the same problem (power steering going in and out) same with mine just at slow speed, once last night when pulling out of a parking spot, and once today changing lanes in slow traffic. I'v just got home and come straight on line to see if anyone else has had similar problems. I am now myself when I see how many other people have had steering problems. I'm off to my dealer in the morning, I will post what they advise me.

Hi Alan,

We may find that these are all very isolated incidents and that this thread's poll results are redundant. I can't wait to find out whether that is the case or not though. Certainly my dealership tells me that steering failures are not an issue, and are minor.

Average time for your steering fault to be diagnosed and fixed is in my experience, 4 days. Makes you wonder what a major issue would be...

Wayne
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 09:29 PM
Buy a Fabia vRS instead!

Question So whats are they doing for your Alan?

...I'm off to my dealer in the morning, I will post what they advise me.

So Alan. What did they say? What's broken or happened? Do tell.

Wayne
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 01:05 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male View Ray Newby's British Racing Green & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile
United-Kingdom

[quote=waynef]Personally speaking, perhaps.

My power steering pump failed after 2 1/2 months and less than 3000 miles. Mini Emergency were very good and so were Carrs, my local dealer who fixed the car for me within two days. So far the new pump hasn't given me any problems. Still love the car.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 09:27 PM
Buy a Fabia vRS instead!

Smile Excellent news.

[quote=Ray Newby]
Personally speaking, perhaps.

My power steering pump failed after 2 1/2 months and less than 3000 miles. Mini Emergency were very good and so were Carrs, my local dealer who fixed the car for me within two days. So far the new pump hasn't given me any problems. Still love the car.

Hi Ray,

Excellent news Ray. I am not certain what your broken quote ("[quote=waynef]Personally speaking, perhaps.") means though as I can't see me having said that here!

I love MINI's. No really I do. The same reasons that I picked the MINI for 18-months ago still hold true. It's style. It's panachť. It's street-cred. It being able to make an awfully mundane journey seem like that first solo journey we all took after passing our driving test. That excited feeling I get everytime I press the "Unlock" button on the key-fob. It's all still true. It's all still fact.

It's just those dreams are going to be permanently tarnished if I have to call the MINI Recovery people out for a 5th time. If I have to spend another series of days running around like a blue-assed fly picking up and dropping off National Rentacars cars. If I have to spend anymore time apologising to customers, family and friends for another ruined day. Rejigging diaries. Going backwards and forwards between the dealer to eventually get a problem sorted after the 6th visit. Being told by the dealer that they have "...all the bits to start the job", but later when it's dismantled, "...not enough to finish it".

It's just not fair to the good memories that I have to turn them into a much, much bigger nightmare than they are becoming.

Wayne
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 10:55 PM
Brass Cannons

Local Time: 11:07 PM
Barbados
So Alan. What did they say? What's broken or happened? Do tell.

The story so far, I took my MINI back to the dealer after my last post, it took the guy 2 mins to figure out the problem, steering rack losing fluid and needs replacing. They said they had one in stock and would fix it right away. They rang me later that day to say they had found a few other unrelated minor problems and would need the car for 2 days. Picked the car up last night and all seems well. What they fixed, fitted new steering rack, fitted new coolant header tank (old one split) stopped rattle in tail gate (faulty handle) and fixed a problem on the transmission ( cannot remember exactly what I will post when I get the paper work back from BMW). All in all I was very impressed with the way MINI Garage at Rushcutter Bay, Sydney, Australia, dealt with the situation.

Last edited by alan earnshaw; Feb 18th, 2004 at 11:51 PM.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 09:03 AM
Buy a Fabia vRS instead!

Australia Nice one

...All in all I was very impressed with the way MINI Garage at Rushcutter Bay, Sydney, Australia, dealt with the situation.

A nice dealership.
I vaguely remember going past it when we were on holiday there in December
...oh Sydney

Wayne
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Un-Banned

Local Time: 10:07 PM
Vatican City State
The story so far, I took my MINI back to the dealer after my last post, it took the guy 2 mins to figure out the problem, steering rack losing fluid and needs replacing. They said they had one in stock and would fix it right away. They rang me later that day to say they had found a few other unrelated minor problems and would need the car for 2 days. Picked the car up last night and all seems well. What they fixed, fitted new steering rack, fitted new coolant header tank (old one split) stopped rattle in tail gate (faulty handle) and fixed a problem on the transmission ( cannot remember exactly what I will post when I get the paper work back from BMW). All in all I was very impressed with the way MINI Garage at Rushcutter Bay, Sydney, Australia, dealt with the situation.

What sort of noises did it make whilst having the failure. just a bit worried about steering failure especially when gunning it.
By the way, BMW sydney had to replace my coolant bottle, but not until after the whole thing exploded!

Do you think I could demand a replacement regardless of evidence of failure or not??
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 05:33 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 12:07 PM
England
Hi all

First post, may as well be a tail of woe

03 Cooper S, pump failed on M4 last week, not pleased, at all, going a bit quick.

Took over a week to fix, they gave me a Punto (the shame), lost the parts, no apology from anyone.

Going to get me some pliers and a blowtorch and head after BMW.

This is patently not on.

Nice to meet you BTW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , , , ,

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mini2.com/forum/first-generation-faults-fixes/49527-important-have-you-had-power-steering-pump-failure-please-vote-yes-no.html
Posted By For Type Date
MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring - Spontaneous engine bay fires! This thread Refback Apr 4th, 2009 12:07 AM
Volvo Performance Parts, Volvo Tamd70C, Volvo 240 Radio Wiring - Pandadog This thread Refback Mar 14th, 2009 08:47 AM
New Electric Sports Car, Pacific Electric Red Car, Used Electric Car Lift - Arcmirror This thread Refback Mar 11th, 2009 02:49 PM
Buy A Used Car Online Auto Cheap Insurance, Buy Cheap Car Insurance Now, Buy Car Used Car Cheap Insurance - Tempiichampion This thread Refback Mar 10th, 2009 02:56 PM
Bmw Radiator, Replacement Motorcycle Radiators, 1927 Ford Radiator - Wirerings This thread Refback Mar 10th, 2009 12:53 PM
Carefreerecovery Blog Archive Electric Mini Cooper, Electric Kit Cars, Electric Model Cars This thread Refback Mar 8th, 2009 05:28 PM
Car Insurance Low Price Uk, Car Insurance List Insurence Uk, Car Insurance Low Rate Uk - Billsquires This thread Refback Mar 8th, 2009 03:27 PM
Oberthur Cosmo Dual 72K Card, Obd Detector Need For 1994 Buick Park Avenue, Obrain Credit Header Info Online - Ethosgas This thread Refback Mar 8th, 2009 12:36 PM
MINI-FORUM - Ohjaustehostin vinkuu? This thread Refback Mar 2nd, 2009 10:09 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback Feb 27th, 2009 06:42 AM
MINI-FORUM - Ohjaustehostin vinkuu? This thread Refback Feb 26th, 2009 07:51 PM
How many liters of CHF - 11S do i need to change or flush 05 Mini Cooper S power steering? - Yahoo! Answers This thread Refback Feb 25th, 2009 10:02 PM
Bekijk topic - Stuurbekrachtiging hapert This thread Refback Feb 19th, 2009 10:03 AM
Untitled document This thread Pingback Feb 19th, 2009 08:35 AM
Bekijk topic - Stuurbekrachtiging hapert This thread Refback Feb 19th, 2009 05:10 AM
Bekijk topic - Stuurbekrachtiging hapert This thread Refback Feb 18th, 2009 07:45 PM
MINI Power Steering Pump Failure? Yes or No - Page 3 - Mini Torque This thread Pingback Feb 17th, 2009 11:03 PM
Mini Cooper electric power steering pump - anyone else done it? This thread Refback Feb 17th, 2009 01:19 AM
MINI-FORUM - Ohjaustehostin vinkuu? This thread Refback Feb 3rd, 2009 09:52 PM
Mini one Power steering problem? - Yahoo! Answers This thread Refback Jan 26th, 2009 03:58 PM
MINI-FORUM - Ohjaustehostin vinkuu? This thread Refback Jan 13th, 2009 05:04 AM
Mini one Power steering problem? - Yahoo! Answers This thread Refback Jan 10th, 2009 04:28 AM
Mini (BMW) Service cost - boards.ie This thread Refback Jan 7th, 2009 05:02 PM
MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring - Spontaneous Engine Bay Fires! This thread Refback Dec 29th, 2008 04:33 PM
Mini (BMW) Service cost - boards.ie This thread Refback Dec 14th, 2008 01:19 PM
Mini (BMW) Service cost - boards.ie This thread Refback Dec 11th, 2008 07:09 PM
FAULTS AND FIXES on MINI2 - Fuel For Your MINI Obsession - MINI Cooper - S - One - Diesel - Works - Cabrio | BoardReader This thread Refback Nov 19th, 2008 10:20 AM
Untitled document This thread Pingback Mar 4th, 2007 11:40 PM