IMPORTANT. Have you had a power steering pump failure? Please vote YES or NO!!! - Page 69 - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > MINI Technical Forums > MINI Faults & Fixes > First Generation Faults & Fixes

First Generation Faults & Fixes MINI faults and fixes 2001 - 2006

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: IMPORTANT. Have you had a power steering/pump failure? YES or NO only please.
NO. I have *NOT* had a steering failure in my MINIs, 693 34.96%
YES. I have had *ONE* steering failure in my MINIs, 1,103 55.65%
YES. I have had *TWO* steering failures in my MINIs, 110 5.55%
YES. I have had *THREE* steering failures in my MINIs, 24 1.21%
YES. I have had *MORE THAN THREE* steering failures in my MINIs. 52 2.62%
Voters: 1982. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Power steering pump???? MJHawkins Maintenance & MINI Care 6 Aug 29th, 2014 04:06 PM
power steering pump & fan replacement Qs canucklehead First Generation MINI Cooper S 2 Jun 7th, 2014 12:59 AM
R50 power steering pump Rally370 First Generation Faults & Fixes 2 Jul 24th, 2013 02:23 PM
Need advise on power steering failure aioxen First Generation Faults & Fixes 11 May 28th, 2013 02:33 PM
Power Steering pump on the blink...? cooper357 First Generation Faults & Fixes 8 Aug 21st, 2012 10:26 PM

LinkBack (28) Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.20 average.
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 11:49 AM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 06:29 PM
United Kingdom Male
Quote: Originally Posted by Una (original)
Thanks for response. I am having it checked out next week. Power Steering did not function one day last week - but was back the following day!! As a result I am nervous driving long distances in it ! Ya gotta have faith in your car !

That is a sign of impending failure...........have the ps pump replaced asap and your Mini should be good for several more years service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 14th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Una
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 05:29 PM
Ireland Female
Ireland

Quote from garage for 840 to fit anew PSP. I have applied to BMW for a "goodwill replacement". I quoted the information on this site - highlighting the fact that it seems to be a common fault with the car. Will let you know how I get on.
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Macguyvic

Local Time: 12:29 PM
United States Male
2008 MCS 46,000 miles with no power steering pump issues.
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 05:46 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Power Steering pump failure

My wife took her 2004 cooper on a short journey (young kids in car). After a few minutes of parking up she noticed plumes of smoke around the bonnet. After recovery and an independent garage inspection it was evident the power steering pump had burnt out. I called Mini (after checking out the internet) and stressed my anger and concern that they had failed to make an official recall with such a dangerous part that was known to fail. To cut a long story short they recovered the vehicle to their own main dealer, replaced the pump and burnt out wiring loom and covered 100% of the 1029 bill. Apart from the inconvenience of being without the car for a week, they did right in the end. Now however it appears that an engine mount and o/s rear caliper needs replacing !!
Thanks for this post from:
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 06:13 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom Female
Quote: Originally Posted by Una (original)
Quote from garage for 840 to fit anew PSP. I have applied to BMW for a "goodwill replacement". I quoted the information on this site - highlighting the fact that it seems to be a common fault with the car. Will let you know how I get on.

Well it's been a month so I presume the problem has been rectified? How did you get on?
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 03:00 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Iceland
My pump/fan just failed. I have no idea which one. This is rather anoying.
Now what :/
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 11:06 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Red Cooper 2003 Power Steering Failure

Hello all,

I've got a 2003 cooper that I've had for 5 year next week! Bought as a cherished with 36K now at 106K with full BMW service history at either cov or leics.

Pump seems to have gone this morning, although managed to come back on to get me the 1.5 miles home! Struggled to turn the wheel (spent all weekend plastering, arms are killing me!) worried that its about to completely go, or will be intermittent for a while. Surprised at how heavy it is, my mark 2 golf (no PAS) is not that heavy to steer!

Rang Mini customer service and they said I must get it to a dealer before they can decide if there will be any contribution.

Neither Cov or Leics Mini have any courtesy cars for 3 weeks!!!! They are saying they can't recover it, not sure I can drive it! AA will only recover if I'm away from home (extra 99 for home start). Coventry have apparently never heard of this fault (although Cov GSF said they sell loads of pumps! and now keep them in stock!).
Leics are offering me a hire car and being very helpful.
If they won't offer a contribution I don't want it fixed at BMW so will have to have it recovered home for me and the hubs to fix.

What do I do??????

Any help much appreciated! Thanks!
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 11:39 AM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
At your 106k mileage I would be surprised if you get a BMW Goodwill contribution as it could be considered you have had reasonable wear and tear so far..........but who knows.

If you want to diy, here is how, it is not that difficult to replace the pump:
Power Steering Pump replacement - Forums
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 11:57 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Silk Green Mini Cooper 03 Pump failure

Hi Sarah

The EXACT same thing happened to me over the weekend and today!
My mini cooper 03 has 104k on the clock and the steering decided to just go on Friday! Luckily I was in a car park and so able to stop but the steering was impossible to move either way, like it was locked. Really dangerous!! Anyway, I did drive it since and it seemed fine, sometimes a little heavy but drivable. I was really nervous that it would just fail at any time though after reading this...

"The Mini is 50 in 2009. Once ever-so British, it was re-launched by BMW in 2001. Since then, more than a million have been produced worldwide and, as they say in their adverts, it's no ordinary drive, more a 'Mini Adventure'.

But some of you have found your 'Mini Adventure' is more a test of your nerves, because a crucial part of the steering system can fail without warning, and drivers can be left fighting for control of their car.

Frightening
It happened to Heather Hinam as she was driving her five-year-old Mini around a roundabout. Heather said: "I came to a roundabout, went to turn the wheel and there was nothing. It was just like the wheel was rigid. So, I wrenched on the wheel as hard as I could. I just managed to get a little bit of movement in it sufficient to get me around the roundabout. It was very frightening."

Heather had bought her Mini from a used car dealer but she took it directly to her local BMW garage for repair. They said that her power steering pump had failed. That's the crucial part that has made manoeuvring modern cars so much easier, and it's so essential that if it fails, steering becomes extremely difficult - far harder in fact, than an older car with no power steering at all.

BMW's customer service told Heather this wasn't a common fault, which is surprising because we've heard from dozens of other Mini owners who've told us they've had exactly the same problem, and have had to fork out anything up to 800 for the repair."

BBC Watchdog site.

and also that other guy said it can catch on fire too! I didn't want to risk carry on driving it so i called Mini customer service and they told me the same thing to take it in to the BMW dealer and then they would consider compensation.

So I went to my local one in Hampshire, they fixed it this morning, cost 575 all in, took 2-3 hours. They have sent a report to Mini/BMW to ask for compensation. I have to wait two days to hear. If they don't compensate I will have to get in contact with them and battle it out I would imagine.

I will let you know what happens. I didn't want a 'normal' mechanic to do it because it might take much longer and I want to claim some back from BMW.

Hope this helps!!

xLx

Old Apr 17th, 2012, 04:29 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
Remember nothing mechanical or electrical lasts for ever.........after 100k miles many things can fail on a car including electric steering pumps, when the pump fails the steering is not physically locked just hard to turn and this can and does happen on many modern cars with electric power steering. The price we pay for more convenience and less driving effort!

BMW seem to be paying compensation at lower mileages recently because of the publicity so anyone who gets this compensation after covering a 100k+ miles has done well!

If this really worries any driver they should have all safety critical components re-newed before total failure occurs based on time or mileage covered.
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 09:01 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Silk Green Great news!

Hey guys,

Great news, heard back from BMW and they are refunding the cost of the part and labour!! I only have to pay for the diagnosis!

Really really pleased and my car feels so much better with its new pump! great service.

xLx
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 07:20 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Great news. Sytner Leics have diagnosed the failure, contacted Mini and they are paying parts and labour!!! I'm really chuffed!!! Sytner were really helpful and I was really surprised at 106k that the would offer anything. Otherwise Id be doing it myself on Friday pm.
Spoke to someone at work, same thing happened to them in January on an 8 year old mini and Mini Cambridge got the parts and labour for them

Really pleased, if you don't try you won't get!
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 07:59 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom Female
Dear all,
Setting the picture, I have a 53 plate Mini Cooper with 32,000 miles on it. I am the third owner and bought it privately in July 2010. it has FSH from Mini.

Two weeks ago on a Saturday I was exiting a car park and all of a sudden my steering wheel appeared to lock and I could'nt turn it. I was quite shaken thinking my car had just failed on me, and then 30 secs later had a realisation that it was the PSP. Managed to get it home with difficulty. At this point it was 6pm on Saturday so I knew nothing was being done about it until Monday. First thing I did was look here on the mini2 forum where I learned that it is a common fault for Mini's and was on Watchdog in 2009. I also learned that it was not deemed serious so therefore not recalled, and that Mini aren't liable to pay for it to be fixed. Possible cost to owner: up to 500.

Armed with this info I initiated contact on Mini's Facebook page. The only way I could reach out at the weekend. They responded asking me to email customer service which I did on Monday whilst also ringing my local dealership Sytner, Chigwell. They said they would have to do a diagnostic to identify what the issue was. Yardy yar, same old... They said the earliest they could look at it was Wednesday but if they had the opportunity they'd look before. I just wanted it out of sight as whilst I can't drive it, it was disheartening me to see it in pain. I took it there on Tuesday morning, they looked at it on Wednesday and I picked up on Weds evening. Job done.

If you would like to find out more information please contact me directly as I'm not willing to detail the nitty gritty of costs on here as credit to Mini, but considering how extremely concerned I was on Saturday and how much I had feared this might cost, I can say that once again I have had first class experience from Mini. Admittedly his issue should not be happening, however the costs etc really are on a case by case basis, my case was put across well to Mini and therefore the result was something I was 100% satisfied with. I would like to extend my thanks to Paul Trotter. Some dealerships get a hard bargain online. Rightly so for a lot of them but there are exceptions. I'm glad I have a good dealer on my doorstep.
Old May 1st, 2012, 08:07 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Iceland
Funny thing, but I started the car today and the pump started working. The only thing is that it still feels a little bit hard. The pump seems to be fine. THis is to weird . Any ideas?
I had powerflex wishbone bushes installed in february. Could that be something worth mentioning?
Old May 1st, 2012, 08:37 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom Female
It's intermittent. Mine too started working on the day I took it to Mini to be fixed. I backed out of the drive thinking "am I taking it there for no reason?" Sure enough, as soon as I was out of the driveway and manoeuvring, it locked again.

Quote: Originally Posted by Fatandre (original)
Funny thing, but I started the car today and the pump started working. The only thing is that it still feels a little bit hard. The pump seems to be fine. THis is to weird . Any ideas?
I had powerflex wishbone bushes installed in february. Could that be something worth mentioning?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , , , ,

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mini2.com/forum/first-generation-faults-fixes/49527-important-have-you-had-power-steering-pump-failure-please-vote-yes-no.html
Posted By For Type Date
MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring - Spontaneous engine bay fires! This thread Refback Apr 4th, 2009 12:07 AM
Volvo Performance Parts, Volvo Tamd70C, Volvo 240 Radio Wiring - Pandadog This thread Refback Mar 14th, 2009 08:47 AM
New Electric Sports Car, Pacific Electric Red Car, Used Electric Car Lift - Arcmirror This thread Refback Mar 11th, 2009 02:49 PM
Buy A Used Car Online Auto Cheap Insurance, Buy Cheap Car Insurance Now, Buy Car Used Car Cheap Insurance - Tempiichampion This thread Refback Mar 10th, 2009 02:56 PM
Bmw Radiator, Replacement Motorcycle Radiators, 1927 Ford Radiator - Wirerings This thread Refback Mar 10th, 2009 12:53 PM
Carefreerecovery Blog Archive Electric Mini Cooper, Electric Kit Cars, Electric Model Cars This thread Refback Mar 8th, 2009 05:28 PM
Car Insurance Low Price Uk, Car Insurance List Insurence Uk, Car Insurance Low Rate Uk - Billsquires This thread Refback Mar 8th, 2009 03:27 PM
Oberthur Cosmo Dual 72K Card, Obd Detector Need For 1994 Buick Park Avenue, Obrain Credit Header Info Online - Ethosgas This thread Refback Mar 8th, 2009 12:36 PM
MINI-FORUM - Ohjaustehostin vinkuu? This thread Refback Mar 2nd, 2009 10:09 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback Feb 27th, 2009 06:42 AM
MINI-FORUM - Ohjaustehostin vinkuu? This thread Refback Feb 26th, 2009 07:51 PM
How many liters of CHF - 11S do i need to change or flush 05 Mini Cooper S power steering? - Yahoo! Answers This thread Refback Feb 25th, 2009 10:02 PM
Bekijk topic - Stuurbekrachtiging hapert This thread Refback Feb 19th, 2009 10:03 AM
Untitled document This thread Pingback Feb 19th, 2009 08:35 AM
Bekijk topic - Stuurbekrachtiging hapert This thread Refback Feb 19th, 2009 05:10 AM
Bekijk topic - Stuurbekrachtiging hapert This thread Refback Feb 18th, 2009 07:45 PM
MINI Power Steering Pump Failure? Yes or No - Page 3 - Mini Torque This thread Pingback Feb 17th, 2009 11:03 PM
Mini Cooper electric power steering pump - anyone else done it? This thread Refback Feb 17th, 2009 01:19 AM
MINI-FORUM - Ohjaustehostin vinkuu? This thread Refback Feb 3rd, 2009 09:52 PM
Mini one Power steering problem? - Yahoo! Answers This thread Refback Jan 26th, 2009 03:58 PM
MINI-FORUM - Ohjaustehostin vinkuu? This thread Refback Jan 13th, 2009 05:04 AM
Mini one Power steering problem? - Yahoo! Answers This thread Refback Jan 10th, 2009 04:28 AM
Mini (BMW) Service cost - boards.ie This thread Refback Jan 7th, 2009 05:02 PM
MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring - Spontaneous Engine Bay Fires! This thread Refback Dec 29th, 2008 04:33 PM
Mini (BMW) Service cost - boards.ie This thread Refback Dec 14th, 2008 01:19 PM
Mini (BMW) Service cost - boards.ie This thread Refback Dec 11th, 2008 07:09 PM
FAULTS AND FIXES on MINI2 - Fuel For Your MINI Obsession - MINI Cooper - S - One - Diesel - Works - Cabrio | BoardReader This thread Refback Nov 19th, 2008 10:20 AM
Untitled document This thread Pingback Mar 4th, 2007 11:40 PM