IMPORTANT. Have you had a power steering pump failure? Please vote YES or NO!!! - Page 71 - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > MINI Technical Forums > MINI Faults & Fixes > First Generation Faults & Fixes

First Generation Faults & Fixes MINI faults and fixes 2001 - 2006

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: IMPORTANT. Have you had a power steering/pump failure? YES or NO only please.
NO. I have *NOT* had a steering failure in my MINIs, 698 34.90%
YES. I have had *ONE* steering failure in my MINIs, 1,114 55.70%
YES. I have had *TWO* steering failures in my MINIs, 112 5.60%
YES. I have had *THREE* steering failures in my MINIs, 24 1.20%
YES. I have had *MORE THAN THREE* steering failures in my MINIs. 52 2.60%
Voters: 2000. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Power steering pump???? MJHawkins Maintenance & MINI Care 6 Aug 29th, 2014 05:06 PM
power steering pump & fan replacement Qs canucklehead First Generation MINI Cooper S 2 Jun 7th, 2014 01:59 AM
R50 power steering pump Rally370 First Generation Faults & Fixes 2 Jul 24th, 2013 03:23 PM
Need advise on power steering failure aioxen First Generation Faults & Fixes 11 May 28th, 2013 03:33 PM
Power Steering pump on the blink...? cooper357 First Generation Faults & Fixes 8 Aug 21st, 2012 11:26 PM

LinkBack (28) Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.20 average.
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 10:26 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 06:37 AM
After owning my '04 mcs for exactly 1 week my power steering failed!
The night before it failed i had parked in a very tight space that required a few awkward manouvers. When i went to start it the next day......nothing from the ps. Whether this contributed to its final demise i do not know.
I also dont know weather the previous owner (private purchase) knew of the problem or if it was pure coincidence.

I did however strip the pump down, clean it all out paying particular attention to the circuit board then rebuilt it.

Its been working fine for about 3 weeks now........... so we'll see.

I'd reccomend stripping and cleaning your pump motor before replacing as its a very easy job to do with basic tools and modest mechanical knowledge/experience.

Other than this my mini has me grinning from ear to ear, very much like my 1.0 city e did when i was 17

Good luck guys.
Thanks for this post from:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 15th, 2012, 10:25 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 05:37 AM
England
I have a 2005 mini one, 107000 miles which has just experienced psp failure 2 days after I purchased from private seller. He may or may not have sold it knowing the fault was there... For me when it happens the steering goes so stiff without warning, but turning engine off and back on resets it and you can drive as normal for quite a while before it might go again.

After reading a post on this forum I took it to local mini dealer and explained the problem and requested help getting a goodwill payment.

Catch was the fault needed to occur during diagnosis (30 minutes) and if it didn't they would give me car back saying nothing was wrong. I decided to take it away for an hour in attempt to coaxe the fault out so I could get someone to diagnose it immediately. I managed it by leaving it idling for 15 minutes and driving around for half hour. I wrestled it back to dealers, left engine on and got the chap to come out and verify the fault which he did.

They were really good guys but explained they don't make the decisions when it comes to goodwill payment. With high mileage and buying private they suggested it might count against me... Good news was it didn't. They phoned me today and told me mini have offered 100% parts and labour. Only need to pay 60 something for the diagnosis/health check. Wasn't expecting 100% so have to say I'm really pleased with the service I've had. If yours goes I'd suggest take it to the dealer rather than try and fix it yourself.
Old Sep 24th, 2012, 10:31 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 06:37 AM
United Kingdom
Excellent service

I recently had the dreaded power steering pump failure. Pump running on constantly when engine was off, battery went flat. Rang BMW Mini garage in Salisbury and asked if there was a recall on them. They took some details and said they would call me back shortly. The nice lady got in touch with BMW and they agreed to fix it totally free. Great service on a nine year old car with full service history but not all by main dealers and almost 70k on it. Most impressed.
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 04:32 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Mines just failed on an 03 with 75k miles. It shouldnt really fail at that mileage and just getting a reman one to replace it. Been a trial the last few months, with sump gasket, belts and tensioners and supercharger servicing and now this.
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 08:12 PM
MINI2 Premium Member
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
Quote: Originally Posted by Thrustyjust (original)
Mines just failed on an 03 with 75k miles. It shouldnt really fail at that mileage and just getting a reman one to replace it. Been a trial the last few months, with sump gasket, belts and tensioners and supercharger servicing and now this.

I know what you mean, Ive had numberous company cars over the years and things tend to be ok until around 65000 miles then one by one things start to go wrong, thats why the companies get shut of them at 3 years and 60000 miles, they know its a risk and might cost them money if they keep them longer.
Best to get a new one before its first MOT is due ideally on that basis.
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 08:41 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Quote: Originally Posted by The Nun (original)
I know what you mean, Ive had numberous company cars over the years and things tend to be ok until around 65000 miles then one by one things start to go wrong, thats why the companies get shut of them at 3 years and 60000 miles, they know its a risk and might cost them money if they keep them longer.
Best to get a new one before its first MOT is due ideally on that basis.

Maybe, but to buy a new JCW is 25k, which is a lot of money for a mini and judging by my bosses Cooper S, which has been his most unreliable car for the last 10 years, doesnt always bode well in buying new. It not our main car, but the wifes, so we are guessing we will get over these issues and be OK for a while longer. The car came with lots of repair bills, but not the usual things like the sump and psm. We have a 300 hp Focus st for long distance work, this is a pottering car and when that goes wrong, then the daughters 500 polo is reliably in action while she's at uni.
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 10:43 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 07:37 AM
Greece View coopergti's Classified Ads
Mine just failed on a 11/04 with almost 64k miles. I had 2-3 failures a few months ago but with stop and start again the car the problem fixed for that time. Yesterday the pump didn't stop to run even with the ignittion off so I disconnected the battery. So, at the momment I know that the pump is still working but not properly. I have read from this thread that a good cleaning might help and I am going to give it a try. But I would like if anybody knows to tell me what kind of brushes am I going to need in order to change them also. If you have a part number also would be great.
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 08:31 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Quote: Originally Posted by tonksie (original)
just had a call off my better half saying that just as she got to work(20 miles away) her power steering had stopped working. her car is a 2003 mini one with 70000 miles on it and i was wondering what our chances are with bmw sorting it out as a goodwill gesture?

just a quick update on my previous post. the pump finally gave up about 4 weeks ago and i thought i would try my luck and contact the dealer we got the car from and after agreeing to pay for it to be plugged into the diagnostics machine they had the car off me and fixed it for free:-) we just had to pay for the power steering fluid. so bear this mind and dont be afraid to ask cause this was done on a 9 year old car with over 70k on the clocks and no service history since 2008 cheers mini.
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 10:22 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 11:37 PM
United States Female View KTeacher's British Racing Green & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile
Motorers,

I motor in a 2004 MCS with 170K miles. I have enjoyed this car since I picked it up used. Like so many here, my power steering pump has failed as well. I have been in contact with my dealer and MINIUSA trying to receive some assistance with the $1200 charge to replace the pump. $700 for the pump and $500 for labor! Really! No assistance or restitution yet. No empathy either. If anyone in the US has had MINI assist with payment, let me know. I am getting more and more disappointed with MINI, and we own 2 of them. My wife drives a 2006 MC...

Thanks
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 12:42 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
My power steering pump failed on Sunday 16th December, I made a quick call to my local garage BMW Scotthall Southampton, and also a call to MINI UK to register my details. Dropped the car off to the garage on 17/12/12 and asked them to make a goodwill claim. Received a call this morning and the dealer and they confirmed that MINI UK agreed to pay 100% of the parts and labour for the whole pump - Very Happy!!!

All I have to pay is 75 for diagnostics and for the fluids!

MINI Uk confirmed that they can consider a claim for any MINI up to 10 years old.

Very helpful service all round. I spoke to a lady called Miya at MINI UK who was more than helpful!

Restored faith with MINI and a very satisfied customer!!! From Failure - Successful claim - Fixed car in 2 days!!!
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 12:26 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
United-Kingdom

Just joined to give my update on power steering failure....

Cooper S (Sept 2002) 72K...FSH - 2 x BMW, 1 x private garage...

Car taken to Sytner Mini Nottingham with suspected pump failure...

I was charged a reduced diagnostic fee of 57 and it came as no surprise that the pump had failed along with 100 amp PS fuse.

Sytner were really helpful and submitted the 'Goodwill' claim, I also contact Mini customer services to advise of the problem.

Received a call this morning stating that Mini will pay for the pump, however not the labour...however Sytner have reduced this amount so all in with the VAT it is costing me 187...fuse and fluid to be paid for within that.

I have to say I am really impressed with the dealer and the fact that Mini have picked up the majority of costs on a 10+ yr old car.

My advise is take it to your dealer, pay the diagnostic fee and the likelihood is Mini will contribute to the total repair cost...and the pump is guaranteed for 2 years
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 11:07 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Hi, have been reading about the good will gesture, my car is 02 so more than ten years old, would mini consider my car or would that be too old? Mine has gone, replaced with another, ok for weekend, monday morning makes loud wining noise, heavy steering. down the road powers up then seemed to die again. Wondering if been supplied with a faulty psp or if someting else wrong with the car thats now also blown no.2. Only bought psp last monday. Called shop they say hand it back, buy another one at 300 ish then they send that one off for testing if comes back ok then will refund!! Worried about being to hasty in taking back if someting else could be wrong ?
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 11:44 PM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 07:37 AM
Estonia Male View Caveman's Classified Ads
Quote: Originally Posted by Shelley B (original)
Hi, have been reading about the good will gesture, my car is 02 so more than ten years old, would mini consider my car or would that be too old? Mine has gone, replaced with another, ok for weekend, monday morning makes loud wining noise, heavy steering. down the road powers up then seemed to die again.

The age of your MINI is irrelevant as a MINI dealer won't warranty any part replaced by an independent shop.
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 10:11 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Hi, new to the forum. We have just bought an 02 plate Mini One with 27000 miles on the clock. I have spoke to mini and the original dealership and have as much of the service history as I can get. I have noticed that the power steering pump whines when the engine running and also runs on slightly when you turn the engine off as though its shutting down. Looking through an old MOT sheet it also mentions the power steering pump was weeping slightly.
My question is, what are the symptoms of PSP failure? Am I in the early stages of PSP failure?
As my wife drives the car, I would prefer to sort it before it fails rather than having an accident with it.
Any help gratefully appreciated.
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 10:16 AM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
No the noise and run down on switch off you describe is quite normal but any leak on the hydraulic pipes should be fixed if the fluid level drops regularly. The pump failures are usually on the electrical motor control side of the pump and the first sign of failure is normally the power assistance becoming intermittent occasionally, especially when parking. The steering would go very heavy for a moment when/if that happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , , , ,

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mini2.com/forum/first-generation-faults-fixes/49527-important-have-you-had-power-steering-pump-failure-please-vote-yes-no.html
Posted By For Type Date
MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring - Spontaneous engine bay fires! This thread Refback Apr 4th, 2009 01:07 AM
Volvo Performance Parts, Volvo Tamd70C, Volvo 240 Radio Wiring - Pandadog This thread Refback Mar 14th, 2009 09:47 AM
New Electric Sports Car, Pacific Electric Red Car, Used Electric Car Lift - Arcmirror This thread Refback Mar 11th, 2009 03:49 PM
Buy A Used Car Online Auto Cheap Insurance, Buy Cheap Car Insurance Now, Buy Car Used Car Cheap Insurance - Tempiichampion This thread Refback Mar 10th, 2009 03:56 PM
Bmw Radiator, Replacement Motorcycle Radiators, 1927 Ford Radiator - Wirerings This thread Refback Mar 10th, 2009 01:53 PM
Carefreerecovery Blog Archive Electric Mini Cooper, Electric Kit Cars, Electric Model Cars This thread Refback Mar 8th, 2009 06:28 PM
Car Insurance Low Price Uk, Car Insurance List Insurence Uk, Car Insurance Low Rate Uk - Billsquires This thread Refback Mar 8th, 2009 04:27 PM
Oberthur Cosmo Dual 72K Card, Obd Detector Need For 1994 Buick Park Avenue, Obrain Credit Header Info Online - Ethosgas This thread Refback Mar 8th, 2009 01:36 PM
MINI-FORUM - Ohjaustehostin vinkuu? This thread Refback Mar 2nd, 2009 11:09 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback Feb 27th, 2009 07:42 AM
MINI-FORUM - Ohjaustehostin vinkuu? This thread Refback Feb 26th, 2009 08:51 PM
How many liters of CHF - 11S do i need to change or flush 05 Mini Cooper S power steering? - Yahoo! Answers This thread Refback Feb 25th, 2009 11:02 PM
Bekijk topic - Stuurbekrachtiging hapert This thread Refback Feb 19th, 2009 11:03 AM
Untitled document This thread Pingback Feb 19th, 2009 09:35 AM
Bekijk topic - Stuurbekrachtiging hapert This thread Refback Feb 19th, 2009 06:10 AM
Bekijk topic - Stuurbekrachtiging hapert This thread Refback Feb 18th, 2009 08:45 PM
MINI Power Steering Pump Failure? Yes or No - Page 3 - Mini Torque This thread Pingback Feb 18th, 2009 12:03 AM
Mini Cooper electric power steering pump - anyone else done it? This thread Refback Feb 17th, 2009 02:19 AM
MINI-FORUM - Ohjaustehostin vinkuu? This thread Refback Feb 3rd, 2009 10:52 PM
Mini one Power steering problem? - Yahoo! Answers This thread Refback Jan 26th, 2009 04:58 PM
MINI-FORUM - Ohjaustehostin vinkuu? This thread Refback Jan 13th, 2009 06:04 AM
Mini one Power steering problem? - Yahoo! Answers This thread Refback Jan 10th, 2009 05:28 AM
Mini (BMW) Service cost - boards.ie This thread Refback Jan 7th, 2009 06:02 PM
MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring - Spontaneous Engine Bay Fires! This thread Refback Dec 29th, 2008 05:33 PM
Mini (BMW) Service cost - boards.ie This thread Refback Dec 14th, 2008 02:19 PM
Mini (BMW) Service cost - boards.ie This thread Refback Dec 11th, 2008 08:09 PM
FAULTS AND FIXES on MINI2 - Fuel For Your MINI Obsession - MINI Cooper - S - One - Diesel - Works - Cabrio | BoardReader This thread Refback Nov 19th, 2008 11:20 AM
Untitled document This thread Pingback Mar 5th, 2007 12:40 AM