MINI Cooper Forum banner

Right audio VERRRRY low on H/K system

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  DaFlake 
#1 ·
Check out what happens when you let a two year old play in your car while you work in the garage.

My head unit started giving me a CD error. I found eleven pennies stuffed in the player.

End result, after removing the useless coins (why do we even still need pennies!?) the audio coming out of the right side is very low and distorted. I was guessing something inside the head unit got shorted out but I was hoping it might be something that would be simpler and cheaper than just replacing the head unit.

Anyone got any ideas where the problem might be?

Is there a link to the wire coding for the HU? This is a 2005 MCS if that makes a difference. I'm pretty sure the HU is manufactured by Alpine. I thought I might flip the speaker wiring and see if the problem migrates to the left speakers.

Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?

See less See more
#2 ·
Gottta luv them kids!

It is very possible the HU is trashed. All HU's in the USA are Boost units made by Alpine like the one in your pic the exception is the unit in the GP. This is a Boost unit made by Siemens VDO.

That being said, any of them will work with HK .

If you decided to go after market headunit you have a couple of options. The first one is to find a audio shop that knows how to totally bypass the HK system and buy a HU that will work with 2 Ohm speakers. The other option is to buy a HKEnabler from Mikey at (NewMINIStuff.com). The downside to this is that you will get a little hissing at low volume as the enabler cranks the volume all the way up. Mikey also has all the bits you need to install another HU including a kit that will keep you from hacking the wires in your car.

#3 ·
Now that I finally got some free time yesterday I took out the HU and double checked it to see if there was anything that appeared to be repairable. Nuthin'! I still only get one channel. I also made sure the right speakers are not at issue. They're fine. So all the speakers work, which I assume means the amp is okay as well. This means beyond much doubt that the HU is kaput.

So I've got a new HU ready to go in.

So... next question:

For my listening pleasure until get my enabler, what happens when you wire up an aftermarket HU to the prewired HK system without the enabler?

#6 ·
when you press the note button on the radio, ie bass, treble, .... you come across the driver option the left hand side is louder and delays the right hand side, plus its not as lound to create the illussion that the speaker is in the centre of the mini

#7 ·
OK, now I am following you. The original poster stated that the sound was distorted. The driver mode balances the sound so that it makes the driver feel as if he is in the center of the car (like you said) but that should not distort the sound. I believe that the original poster was going to swap HU anyway and was just waiting for a part (HKenabler). :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.