Sat Nav Updates 2002 Cooper S - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > MINI Technical Forums > MINI Interior & ICE > First Generation Interior & Ice

First Generation Interior & Ice
Find Sponsor products associated with this forum
First generation MINI interior 2001 - 2006

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changing factory head unit with sat nav! Asif jcw First Generation Interior & Ice 0 Oct 9th, 2013 09:06 PM
2006 cooper sat nav retrofit ernien Second Generation Interior & Ice 0 Mar 8th, 2013 06:03 PM
Mini Cooper S 2005 Sat Nav Failure :-( coopers2005 First Generation Interior & Ice 5 Nov 27th, 2012 07:15 PM
HELP! 2002 MCS with factory fit sat nav ipod connector TuftyFluff First Generation Interior & Ice 0 Aug 8th, 2012 09:11 AM
Help! Sat Nav not receiving signal LadyUK Second Generation Interior & Ice 6 Aug 4th, 2012 10:08 PM

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Cooper S

Local Time: 04:21 PM
United Kingdom
Sat Nav Updates 2002 Cooper S

Hey all,

A newbie to the world of Minis and this forum so please be gentle and apologies if I'm posting in the wrong area etc.

Just got a 2002 plate Cooper S in Racing Green with black roof through a private purchase, only collected it on Saturday and even though its pretty old it's the best car i have ever driven.
I have a query on the sat nav on the 02 cooper s, can this be software updated?, i have seen threads on DVD disks for updates and v0.27 28 etc, can anyone shed light as to whether i can update mu 02 sat nav to have better maps etc?.

Many thanks for your help
Freddie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 17th, 2007, 09:50 AM
MINI2 Newbie
Send a message via MSN to Biglad_UK

United Kingdom Male
You can update the firmware but this won't change the maps.

To change the maps you need to buy a newer Map CD

Si
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
MINI2 Master
Send a message via MSN to ALD0 Send a message via Skype™ to ALD0

Local Time: 03:21 PM
United Kingdom Male View ALD0's Hyper Blue & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View ALD0's Classified Ads
Congrats on the purchase, yeah the firmware can be updated very easily as the software is available for download, try Ebay to buy a newer Map version like 2006-1/2006-2 etc.
Version 28 onwards will give you perspective view and smoother graphics.

Si
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
MMC Member
Send a message via MSN to DaFlake

Local Time: 11:21 AM
United States Male View DaFlake's Pure Silver & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
Be careful with Ebay as we have already seen users get scammed for money. These are not legal copies and should not be sold via Ebay. My advice to pay the money for the real copy or find a really good friend. Also make sure of what unit you have BEFORE buying. If you have a CD unit a DVD will not work (for obvious reasons).

The latest firmware is 29-1 which I have on my site (Simply MINI). However, if you have an MK3 The latest version you will get is version 22 as this is the last update for that system. You can find what you have by going to the setup menu and posting here the numbers in the upper right corner.

From that we can tell you what you need to do.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Cooper S

United Kingdom

You people are stars!, much appreciated to all who replied, your help is appreciated!!.
My sat nav reads: SW3-160 in the corner, pre-DVD drive i guess .
Where can i get hold of firmware V.22 for this and will the Navteq 2007-2 maps i have seen available to buy work with my older drive?.

Thanks guys for helping the newbie!!
Cooper S and loving it!!

Quote: Originally Posted by DaFlake (original)
Be careful with Ebay as we have already seen users get scammed for money. These are not legal copies and should not be sold via Ebay. My advice to pay the money for the real copy or find a really good friend. Also make sure of what unit you have BEFORE buying. If you have a CD unit a DVD will not work (for obvious reasons).

The latest firmware is 29-1 which I have on my site (). However, if you have an MK3 The latest version you will get is version 22 as this is the last update for that system. You can find what you have by going to the setup menu and posting here the numbers in the upper right corner.

Old Jul 18th, 2007, 08:39 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom Male
This link will give you all the information you need about the Nav Computer.

BMW Navigation System FAQ - X5world

You have the MK 3 nav computer ( the last CD Rom version ) and software version 16 ...although you already know this.

That link also contains the firmware updates links too.

Si
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
MMC Member

United States Male View DaFlake's Pure Silver & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
The drive that you have is an MK3 (non DVD version). So you will have to by map CDs, not DVDs.

The firmware is most likely V 20.1 and you can run up to V23. So, there is some to be gained by updating.

That being said, the MK3 is a bit picky on firmware. If you download the one from my site (Simply MINI), you can use it to get your system up to the V23 level (Even though it is a V29 disk, it does have the lastes release for the older system on it).

When you burn the CD for install, make sure that you use mode 1 only as the older unit can't handle mode 2.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Cooper S

United Kingdom

Thanks guys, this is much appreciated, only got the Mini last Saturday so a bit nervous with tinkering on firmware updates . once again a few more newbie questions for you to impart your knowledge on, what is mode 1 and 2!?..is this a selection that appears when the satnav starts after the update? or a method of burning the v29-1 iso file? , also will i need a KEY CD in order to upgrade to a newer OS?.
Cheers dudes for pointing the way

The latest firmware is 29-1 which I have on my site . However, if you have an MK3 The latest version you will get is version 22 as this is the last update for that system. You can find what you have by going to the setup menu and posting here the numbers in the upper right corner.

The drive that you have is an MK3 (non DVD version). So you will have to by map CDs, not DVDs.

The firmware is most likely V 20.1 and you can run up to V23. So, there is some to be gained by updating.

That being said, the MK3 is a bit picky on firmware. If you download the one from my site (), you can use it to get your system up to the V23 level (Even though it is a V29 disk, it does have the lastes release for the older system on it).

When you burn the CD for install, make sure that you use mode 1 only as the older unit can't handle mode 2.

Old Jul 18th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
MMC Member

Mode1 and Mode2 are methods of burning the ISO image in my zip file to the CD. Programs like NERO and MagicISO will let you select what mode you want to burn in. Older lasers have a hard time reading mode2.

You might need the CD Key and we can get that with little problem. In fact, I will load that to my site tonight.

The NAV update is pretty straight forward. You pop the CD in and turn the key to the first position. The system will automatically boot and update the firmware.

I have seen issues with the MK3 not liking the newest release CD (V29-1) but it was easily corrected with an older CD. Also, be aware that if your CD does not boot afterwards it can be reloaded and stuck CDs can be gotten out. These are all things that people have experienced in the past.
Thanks for this post from:
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Cooper S

United Kingdom

You daman daflake!!,
Thanks for sharing your knowledge dude!.
Burnt the v29 iso in the correct way ( i am a Mac user but there was a helpful link on the X5 site ), still nervous about updating as have started reading some scary threads..is there just a v22 update available?.
Will def bookmark your site and be checking.

Mode1 and Mode2 are methods of burning the ISO image in my zip file to the CD. Programs like NERO and MagicISO will let you select what mode you want to burn in. Older lasers have a hard time reading mode2.

You might need the CD Key and we can get that with little problem. In fact, I will load that to my site tonight.

The NAV update is pretty straight forward. You pop the CD in and turn the key to the first position. The system will automatically boot and update the firmware.

I have seen issues with the MK3 not liking the newest release CD (V29-1) but it was easily corrected with an older CD. Also, be aware that if your CD does not boot afterwards it can be reloaded and stuck CDs can be gotten out. These are all things that people have experienced in the past.

Old Jul 18th, 2007, 10:28 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom Male
Your defo going to need a CD key. Upgrading from either 15, 16 or 17 requires one but there is one on that link to down load. BTW I'm a Mac user and have burnt loads of images for BMW's Nav no problem.

I'll check when I get home to see if I have V22.....I might have if I can find my discs

I'll let you know

Si
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
MMC Member

I'll also load an older version on my site to accommodate the older systems. There are a lot of scary threads on X5world, but if you look at it, most have been resolved.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 10:39 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom Male
DaFlake,

Do you have V22 or should I see if I can locate it ?

Si
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
MMC Member

I have/had a copy someplace. If you can locate it all the better, but I will eventually get it loaded on my site for all to have.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Cooper S

United Kingdom
Thanks Dudes!

BigLad & Daflake,
You guys rock!, thanks for helping me with this, would like to hold out for V22..being a bit precious with the Mini at the moment and don't want to spend time trying to resolve a firmware corruption and flashing back etc..any copies of the V22 would be cool!.

I have/had a copy someplace. If you can locate it all the better, but I will eventually get it loaded on my site for all to have.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , ,