MINI Cooper Forum banner

MP3 option on Harman Kardon Stereo

8K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  sadlersmead 
#1 ·
I have a Cooper S 2003 (Sat Nav) fitted with the uprated Harmon Kardon stereo CD bootchanger and speakers.

My goal is to be able to play MP3 files through the system either via CD, DVD or iPod

My local car electric shop tried an Alpine MP3 boot changer, but this was not compatible with the Head Unit because apparantly it is more "Rover" than "BMW".

I didn't want to change the look of the interior but reluctantly had to try the Alpine Ipod ida-X001 head unit (which works on all other cars) but again this would not link to the Harmon Kardon set-up. Apparantly even if this did work, the voice commands from the Sat Nav would be lost.

Does anyone know of a solution without going down the FM modulator route (which does not give good enough sound quality)

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Paul

See less See more
#2 ·
When changing the HU on a HK system you have to have an HK Enabler, the HU should of turned on when you tried it but no sound??

NewMINIStuff.com

This is the part in the above link..... As you have sat nav im not sure what else you will need so its probably best to speak to Mikeythemini on hear from NewMINIstuff and he'l sort you out

Scott

#5 ·
My HK headunit plays Mp3 CD's as standard, so I presume the auto changer in the boot does not have this function then?

James.

First, there is no difference between HK head units and the non HK. It is the same head unit. The earlier model HU's did not play MP3 files and neither does the OEM cd changer for the boot.

To my knowledge there is no other solution for a CD changer in the boot. BMW has a pretty specific way of doing things.

#8 ·
Dension IceLink or Gateway seems the best option to get iPod integration - Dension Audio Systems for information and NewMINIStuff.com to buy from :)

The other option is to change the head unit for a later/facelift spec BOOST CD player (post 07/2004) with the large knobbly volume control which will play MP3 files from CDs in the head unit but not from the rear CD changer.

#9 ·
#18 ·
Finally got the Intravee from BimmerNav over Christmas and now have it fitted in my Mini.

I am happy to say I'm very impressed. The interface and functionality is everything that I wanted.
It really is easy to fit, sounds good and looks great on the Sat Nav Screen.

however....

my listening experience is currently spoiled and I hope someone may be able to help.

I used an in car electrics fitter to install the intravee along with some new speakers. I decided to replace the speakers because sound from the left front speaker would "drop out" at random times when listening to the CD's via the CD changer (the radio is ALWAYS fine and I no longer use cassettes!!).

I figured that either the speakers or the CD changer was to blame so having new speakers and
the Intravee replacing the CD changer would solve the problem.

Unfortunately after fitting both, the sound still drops from the left speaker. It seems to happens about ten minutes into a journey and then cuts in and out at random times.

Another issue has cropped up since the intravee has been fitted and this is what sounds like interference. Again it is only random but when it occurs it remains and sounds like a screeching noise over the music. Again the radio is not affected.

Has anyone else experienced either problem. My fitter says all connections are good and thinks the problem lies within the head unit and suggests replacing it (possibly for one with a single CD).

I have already spent loads on this project so would appreciate any help before spending out any more.

Cheers

Paul

#20 ·
I used an in car electrics fitter to install the intravee along with some new speakers. I decided to replace the speakers because sound from the left front speaker would "drop out" at random times when listening to the CD's via the CD changer (the radio is ALWAYS fine and I no longer use cassettes!!).
I'd blame the CD Changer wiring loom, it sounds like the cable that carries the left hand audio signal has been snagged/crimped/damaged somehow when they guys did your installation. The loom normally carries left and right audio, along with signals from the head unit to change disc, play, etc.

#21 ·
It could be something to do with the wiring - but it all looks OK and sometimes works fine??

I've been reading up on this and its seems the HK Amp is known to be dodgy.

The official part is very expensive so I'm looking on eBay etc.

Does anyone know if the HK Amp for the BMW (part no. 65120690284003) will fit in the Mini?

Cheers

Paul

#22 ·
There's a MINI HK amp on eBay at the moment, it's in another HK thread on this Forum. No, the BMW amp is different IIRC, as the BMW has more speakers.

But why would you fault find the amp, if it's only occuring with the CD changer, and the radio is fine? Surely that means the amp is fine too. I'd really have a close look at the CD Changer loom first before wasting money on an amp you might not need.

#23 ·
When thinking of changing your casette to your MP3 unit, keep in mind that not all factory cd head units built after facelift (2004) can play MP3s. I checked with two 07 plate cabrio owners and both said their cd players did not play MP3s but just normal cds.

#24 ·
Hi,
Don't want to state the obvious here but why didn't you go for the simple solution of using a cassette adaptor to play your iPod through the head-unit? - not glamourous but they work fine.

If the radio and cassettes are working ok then neither the head-unit or amp is at fault - you replaced the front speakers but with what? In a system such as the HK which is designed to work with all it's components intact I can't imagine replacing the speakers would do anything but negatively affect performance - they can't possibly have the same impedance / sensitivity / frequency response.

Would like to hear some more info re this..

Cheers, Geoff.

#25 ·
Hi Geoff

I didn't want the hassle of having to keep accessing the ipod to switch it on and change tracks etc. Also I would have to remove it every time I parked the car on the street. Also the sound through these adaptors is not that great.

The intravee is great as everything is hidden away and all controls are accessed via the Sat Nav screen/buttons and MFSW controls.

The speakers have been replaced with similar spec and were not cheap (£250). They do sound different but I could not say which sounded better?

NEW QUESTION

It seems my next task is to replace head unit.

As I have a Harman Kardon Amp in the back do I need a special head unit in the front that does not have an amp incorporated. Or do they all work?

Also the current stereo is an 03 Boost cassette unit. Can this be replaced with a CD unit after 04 which I understand can play MP3's. The MP3 option is not vital however.

Cheers

Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.