MINI Cooper Forum banner

New head unit radio/cd for cooper late 2004

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  BigDaddy 
#1 ·
Hi new member - first question.

My mrs has just got a COOPER R50 - LATE 2004.

The radio isnt playing CDs too good, only about 1 in 4 and thats originals.

It doesnt have a multifunction steering wheel - just the basic one.

Anyone recommend anything to fix it ? - i presume the laser is just tired or dirty like happens to them.

Few questions

1) If i have to take it out to have a look at it - is it coded or anything ?
if so where will the code be ?

2) Can you put one of them CD cleaners through - is that worth a try you recon ?

3) If I buy a new one im not bothered about it being a mini one - will virtually any car radio/cd head unit do to replace it -if so i need an
a) fixing kit and
b) wiring loom adaptor for the back off ebay or something - yes ?
If so can anyone recommend the right ones.

4) If I replace it with something I also want to be able to have an interface lead for her ipod plugged into the back of it permanently via a socket or something (preferably NOT through the front)

5) A unit that her phone can connect with via bluetooth and also use the minis speakers would be an added bonus.

Any other advice- do's or dont's or issues relating the the basic radio/cd player in the late 204 cooper much appreciated.
Also any radios anyone knows of or might have fitted that fit this kind of description that anyone has fitted would also be of help, not too expensive, roundabout a hundred quid or less.

gonna have a look at it in next cpl of days.

Cheers - Andy & Rach

See less See more
#3 ·
From memory you gonna need a special cage for it to fit properly, there dirt cheap and make a difference. Your also gonna need to find if you have flat pin or round pin harness and get the correct adaptor wiring harness to fit which is easy enough. If you want an aftermarket head unit take your pick! Aha any that take your fancy you can fit :) pioneer do good ones with the USB connection on the back so you could wire it into the glove box and they do it with Bluetooth as well :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.