MINI Cooper Forum banner

R50 DIY stereo upgrade on a budget. Installing an amplifier (Boost head unit).

15K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Gigsy 
#1 ·
I want to upgrade the audio system on my 2004 MINI Cooper. I used the search function and I think I read every single thread on this topic but I’m still very confused.

I want to make the stereo sound bearable and keep the stock look. And not ruin my car doing it :) I live in Poland, but let’s just say I can spend $200-$230 (130-150GBP).

What would be the best audio upgrade for the money? Should I swap both front and rear speakers or just the front? Should I install an external amp (I was thinking a small, used one), if yes - where? Glovebox, boot? Is it doable or is it an expert-level upgrade (battery is under the hood :()? Which parts of the interior would I need to take apart?

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
to run amp cable you need to remove the whole glove box, battery box and the little scuttle panel under the windscreen. I would hide the amp where the access hole is in the boot for the rear light cluster. personally I would ditch the standard headunit, the standard speakers sound amazing using a pioneer headunit! fit some 8" speakers into the parcel shelf as you have 6x9's fitted as standard and use a line converter to get the RCA female connectors so you can amp the 8" speakers or even run a subwoofer.

#3 ·
I'm going to get new speakers and an Alpine head unit ;) I want bluetooth and iPod integration in my MINI anyway :cool:

I'm still not sure about the amp though. Seems like tons of work!
It's a non-S cooper so the battery is under the hood. My friend is saying I should install the amp under the glovebox (it's going to be a really small amp). It doesn't seem safe to me though! And I'm worried about FM interference - the signal is poor enough already!

Installing the amp inside the glovebox wouldn't be that bad but I'm worried about the amp overheating, FM interference, and I lose glovebox space.

I don't want to install the amp under the seat. Too much snow and rain around here plus I sacrifice rear legroom (I sometimes have people in the back...).

Mounting the amp in the boot seems perfect but it's like, I need to take apart the entire interior and buy miles of wires :frown: I'm not exactly afraid of the work, I'm worried that the only parts of the car that don't rattle will start rattling :angry:

Where do you think I should install the amp?

#4 ·
If you get an Alpine head unit, they also do a little mini amp that plugs in to the back of the head unit and requires no extra wiring etc. Mind you, there's not a lot of space behind the head unit so just need to be wary of that.

As far as budget upgrades go, a new head unit and the best quality front component speakers is (IMHO) the best way you could spend your money. To be honest though, you budget will probably only stretch to one or the other. In which case, go for the head unit first and then do the speakers. I certainky wouldn't both with doing the rears until you have more money to spend.

#5 ·
I would remove front passenger seat, cut out a bit of the padding under the carpet and put the amp there, or remove the rear quarter panel and silicone some mdf to side of panel and screw amp on that, but saying that you might as well go 1 more foot back into the boot.

Other options depending on your skill levels and time.
Make a false floor on front passenger floor area sink amp into that with a cover to protect it you could do all sorts like prespex cover with neons covered by mdf carpeted to match the car.

do the same in the rear passenger foot well.

It does raise the floor up a bit and would mean one side is higher than the other, that's why I would go under the seat.

#6 ·
Thanks for your tips!
Well, I decided to stretch my budget a little bit, so I'll get both a head unit and front component speakers - and I might get an amp too.

I'm getting used component speakers for the front (Morel Tempo 6). They're over $300 in the US but you can get used ones for $120 here in Poland.
I'm also getting an Alpine CDE-143BT head unit. I know it won't give me the best sound quality but I really want bluetooth integration.
I'll most likely ditch the back speakers (I'll set the fader 100% to the front and leave it that way :)) if the front ones sound good enough.

As for the amp - I wanted to get a Sony XM-4520. Oldie but a goodie! It's really small, like 7"x6.5"x2.2". It's not even expensive but the installation still scares me :angry: I have a friend though who's going to help me out and he certainly knows more about car audio than I do.
He's saying that getting the speakers and HU without an amp is pointless. He's also insisting on mounting the amp under the glovebox. But he can get quite bossy and he likes unnecessarily turning everything into a money pit :p So I'd like to hear your opinion.
I know I'm asking the same question over and over again, I just want to make sure:

Do you think the amp is worth it (worth the work, mostly! The cost is not that big)?
Is the glovebox/firewall simply a bad location for the amp?
Should I worry about new rattles, and which clips do I get some for the door panels etc. in case I break some of them?

#7 ·
He's saying that getting the speakers and HU without an amp is pointless. He's also insisting on mounting the amp under the glovebox. But he can get quite bossy and he likes unnecessarily turning everything into a money pit :p So I'd like to hear your opinion.
No, it's not pointless. Upgrading the HU is a big improvement. As is upgrading the speakers. Adding an amp just pushes the quality up again... but only if its decent kit.

The Alpine HU you've selected is a good option.

I know I'm asking the same question over and over again, I just want to make sure:

Do you think the amp is worth it (worth the work, mostly! The cost is not that big)?
Is the glovebox/firewall simply a bad location for the amp?
Should I worry about new rattles, and which clips do I get some for the door panels etc. in case I break some of them?

Yes, a good amp is worth it (but not a necessity immediately)

Personally, I'd mount it in the boot of a Mini or under the seat if its a small amp.

Everything comes apart and goes back together quite easily - just take your time and you shouldn't create any new rattles.

It's worthwhile getting a few new clips as they're cheap and its better to have the if you break one or two rather than not having them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.