MINI Cooper Forum banner

Blower motor not working

62K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Mattwhit1996 
#1 ·
My Blower motor is not running. I don't want to take apart the dash just to check it. is there another way of checking if it works?

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
The blower motor is actually controlled by a readily accessible 'Hedgehog resistor' by reaching up just behind the dash.
Although called a resistor, it looks like it's actually a voltage regulator with various preset voltages to control the different speeds - and it is quite common for it to fail either on just a couple of speeds or all of them.
SEE THIS THREAD
... and its called a hedgehog resistor because of its 'spiny' heatsink

It could of course be something entirely different causing the fault, but this is the easiest to change
{other than if it's just a blown fuse} ;)

#4 ·
Do you know how to figure out which blower motor it is? There are 2 types there are ones with 2 wires and then one with 3 wires. I don't want to buy the wrong one and waste a bunch of money on it. I took the cabin air filter out and tried to check it that way but no way of reaching the back of the motor. any suggestions?

#10 ·
fixed my MINI Cooper S R56 fan blower not working in 5 min !!!!

Hi,
I just had the same issue and fixed it in 5 minutes... these are the steps :
- Contact key out
- remove the side panel on the driver foot side, 2 x to 20 screws.
- unplugged the fan motor resistor
- start motor, an error message appears and disappears
- switch engine off and remove contact key
- put switch back on place, start motor, all working as before.
I had the car out in the cold for 2 weeks and battery level went low, so I suppose the electronic went into strike mode, and was put back in normal mode after the “reset “.
I had a similar issue and resolved it same way on my x5 4.8i, as MINI is also a BMW, I thought the trick might work too, it did... probably saved lots of $$ from official dealer this time, their goal being to sell parts and hours but not helping customers in their best interests ;-) I know what I am talking about...
Thank you Forum !!!!

#17 ·
fixed my MINI Cooper S R56 fan blower not working in 5 min !!!! Hi, I just had the same issue and fixed it in 5 minutes... these are the steps : - Contact key out - remove the side panel on the driver foot side, 2 x to 20 screws. - unplugged the fan motor resistor - start motor, an error message appears and disappears - switch engine off and remove contact key - put switch back on place, start motor, all working as before. I had the car out in the cold for 2 weeks and battery level went low, so I suppose the electronic went into strike mode, and was put back in normal mode after the “reset “. I had a similar issue and resolved it same way on my x5 4.8i, as MINI is also a BMW, I thought the trick might work too, it did... probably saved lots of $$ from official dealer this time, their goal being to sell parts and hours but not helping customers in their best interests ;-) I know what I am talking about... Thank you Forum !!!!
Did anyone try above method. My blower only works on highest blower speed. 2007 mini hatch.

#10 ·
I’m having similar issues with my R58. It started last winter with the blowers not working on cold mornings. All through summer no problems.
started getting cold again and it’s playing up.
No blowers for first 10 mins of any drive then it all starts working again.
I have replaced the hedgehog (voltage regulator/ resistor) but still no joy.
BMW are suggesting the fan motor but this doesn’t make sense as it works when it is warm.
any ideas?

#11 ·
I’m having similar issues with my R58. It started last winter with the blowers not working on cold mornings. All through summer no problems.
started getting cold again and it’s playing up.
No blowers for first 10 mins of any drive then it all starts working again.
I have replaced the hedgehog (voltage regulator/ resistor) but still no joy.
BMW are suggesting the fan motor but this doesn’t make sense as it works when it is warm.
any ideas?
I have the exact same problem at the moment any idea how to sort it please

#12 · (Edited)
Haven't had my MINI for over 6 years now & I still get drawn back to this thread - Hey No Problem :)
Just been doing a little more research on this, as many people have said that after replacing the hedgehog resistor it still doesn't work.
So, Found This article which looks promising:- (Click it to be taken to original page)
"The IHKA or climate control panel is located in the center dashboard. This is the control for your heating and ventilation system. The most common portion of this control to fail is the blower motor control. It may seem as if the blower resistor is faulty, but replacing it doesn't remedy the issue. This may be a faulty blower control. You will want to check the signal to the blower resistor at this point and confirm the signal is faulty. Other functions of this control can also fail over time, however it's not as common"

Also - Here's the workshop manual for replacing the resistor if rqd

Now I don't know the model of your mini so your going to figure out exactly which version you need yourself :cool:

#19 ·
HI, i have no idea about cars. I bought a heat resistor but took the hedgehog resistor out and put it back in - its worked for a day then stopped again.

Did you change the resistor with the green band on it or the hedgehog one?

if it was the green, did you follow a video? can't seem to find any

TIA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.