MINI Cooper Forum banner

Temp gauge issue

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  w4lshy 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

My temp gage in my 02 cooper has lost the plot. It was displaying 23 deg regardless of out door temp so I replaced the sensor with a new one, only to get it displaying the same, I put the old 1 back in and now I'm getting minus 40, anyone know a fix or root cause?? Cheers

#2 ·
Kjc 30 I've had the 'fan running on' issue on my 2012 R56 MCS. In my case I found it was running all the time after the usual 10 mile warm-up period as well. At first it was 'they all do that' and 'they all run hot' from the service techs, so I monitored it with a wireless OBDII adapter and found that the coolant temp was normal and it shouldn't have been happening...so I kept taking it back...

Sensors can fail; also some thermostat sensors are not completely matched to the ecu parameters and run in 'fail safe' mode as a result. Perhaps a quality control issue? I think this happened in my case.

A few months after my experience (from new, so the sensor couldn't have failed) there was a recall and a newer design thermostat+sensor relocated, fitted and electrically fed via a new wireless harness add on.

I gather some US Countrymans had the same issue because high under-bonnet temps caused similar problems and I suspect the thermostat moving solution became the 'way-to-go' for all Gen 2 therm problems.

Hope this helps. (robbo MCS on NAM gave an excellent explanation a couple of years ago. Your tech would fully understand the cause if he read it IMO.)

#4 ·
Hi cjm,

No worries but the bit about the sensor not being recognised by the ecu could be an issue maybe?? I'm no mechanic by any stretch but sounds a possibility! By the way how do you change ur profile pic?? I want to have a pic of my cooper!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.