MINI Cooper Forum banner

Harmon Kardon satellite factory nav 04 S sound stops

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Windshadow 
#1 · (Edited)
the sound on my system is going silent after just a few min of operation (no problems for 12 years started today)
the info on the Satellite station and the info for the track is showing same on AM FM and CD and AUX all is good for a min or two after starting the car but within 5 min at most the sound stops... but all the radio displays are fine.
I now live a 3 hour drive to the closest MINI dealer so i will need to fix this myself if I can.
I suspect a problem in the amplifier where is it hiding and how do I check it?

#2 ·
any thoughts on the next step here? I intend to keep my MINI until i can no longer drive it. but paying for Sirius and not having it working in the car needs to be fixed.
is there a guide to R&R of the amplifier? does the whole dash have to removed to access it?

the symptoms to me indicate either an intermittent connection between the head unit and the amplifier (posable corrosion that when in use breaks the connection) or a end of life problem with the amp

#3 ·
if it is indeed the amplifier can it be cut out of the system and drive say just the door speakers from the head unit itself?
Not having any luck finding a HK amplifier at the junk yards
is anyone still reading this section?

#4 ·
You can see how many views your posts get.

All your questions have been added and answered previously.

HK amps are under the right hand front seat (passengers in the US, drivers in the UK).

They are expensive to replace and hard to find second hand, as you have discovered.

You can bypass them, but need to replace the speakers as the HK ones are 2 ohm and most stereos run 4-8 ohm.

You could fit a new amp, but the same speaker problem remains.

All in all a PITA.

#5 ·
Thanks... my MINI has been trouble free since the end of the warranty (Right front suspension part replace last year due to the broken down road edge problem on Maine Secondary roads has been the only non maintenance item) so I got out of the habit of visiting here... I should have done a more through search... sorry

I have the data reader for the Nav data discs under the seat did they put both in the same case?

since the thing works for a few (less than 5) minutes when the car is first run I was hoping it was not the amp

is anyone repairing the amplifier? I know there are companies that specialize in repairing oddball electronics such as 1980s electronic instrument binicals. it seems that someone could make a nice bit of coin repairing these things.... the problem would be finding such an outfit.

are the new replacement units "fixed" or are they also limited in life? I guess I should not call 12 years limited

I will keep searching for a junkyard unit for now I guess

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.