Ice Link Plus - Page 64 - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > MINI Technical Forums > MINI Interior & ICE > First Generation Interior & Ice

First Generation Interior & Ice
Find Sponsor products associated with this forum
First generation MINI interior 2001 - 2006

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Link to Wiring Diagrams R53 Cooper S? RachyS Maintenance & MINI Care 2 Mar 18th, 2013 11:36 PM
Ice Fitting rosslamb First Generation Interior & Ice 6 Feb 14th, 2013 01:59 AM
Special offer Mini Ice Cube Tray chris@LloydBlackpool Lloyd Blackpool MINI 0 Nov 23rd, 2012 11:36 AM

LinkBack (7) Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:54 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 05:18 PM
Germany
...late november/december IS model year 2005!
the question should be: does your headunit have mp3-support? then it's supposed to work... (e.g. my nov 04 has mp3-support)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2005, 12:24 PM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 04:18 PM
United States View jeffu's Chili Red & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
Just picked up the Trunk mounted version from Best Buy - works awsome in my March 05 build - text on the HU and all! Very Sweet.

I have three questions -

#1 - what's the best route for the cable? Right now it's laid on the floor and I was hoping for a cleaner install without ripping apart the interior.

#2 - What firmware should I have? It had 2.05 then I downloaded the new BMW version.

#3 - Once I've update the firmware to the new BMW release - can I delete those files from the ipod???

Thanks,

Jeff Ulrich
Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:08 PM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 09:18 AM
United States
Quote: Originally Posted by jeffu
Just picked up the Trunk mounted version from Best Buy - works awsome in my March 05 build - text on the HU and all! Very Sweet.

I have three questions -

#1 - what's the best route for the cable? Right now it's laid on the floor and I was hoping for a cleaner install without ripping apart the interior.

#2 - What firmware should I have? It had 2.05 then I downloaded the new BMW version.

#3 - Once I've update the firmware to the new BMW release - can I delete those files from the ipod???

Thanks,

Answer to question 1 for me was, run it along the side under the door, you can tuck it under the trim really easy, the only hard part was pulling the panel on the rear side after I pulled the seat. Really easy, and took me about 5 minutes and looks great.

Asnwer 2, is 2.06 unless you want id text support (only for 05 models)

Asnwer 3, Yes

hope this helps
Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:16 PM
EverythingButThe Mini

United States
Yes, mine is definitely a 2005 - actually I reviewed my records this morning and it's build date was November 4, 2004. I was off by a few weeks...I was asking about the ID3 because I seem to recall it being an issue - or is that ONLY with 2004 and previous cars? Mine is not the stock unit, it's the HK...So, it should work, right? I guess to be sure I can put in a MP3 disc and see if the tags show. I do have the song title show up on the head when I use the radio...Is that basically the same thing as the ID3 tag?
Also, not to sound dumb, but where is the CD changer plug in the boot? I was going to get a radio mount model but if it's that easy to run to the front, then I may just get the trunk-mount version. If I go to Best Buy, do you think they will they have the newest model? Then I just do the firmware update online, right?

Thanks!
Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:21 PM
Just along for the ride
Send a message via AIM to Bugged Send a message via MSN to Bugged

Local Time: 12:18 PM
United States View Bugged's Hyper Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
Quote: Originally Posted by MiniMelSF
Yes, mine is definitely a 2005 - actually I reviewed my records this morning and it's build date was November 4, 2004. I was off by a few weeks...I was asking about the ID3 because I seem to recall it being an issue - or is that ONLY with 2004 and previous cars? Mine is not the stock unit, it's the HK...So, it should work, right? I guess to be sure I can put in a MP3 disc and see if the tags show. I do have the song title show up on the head when I use the radio...Is that basically the same thing as the ID3 tag?
Also, not to sound dumb, but where is the CD changer plug in the boot? I was going to get a radio mount model but if it's that easy to run to the front, then I may just get the trunk-mount version. If I go to Best Buy, do you think they will they have the newest model? Then I just do the firmware update online, right?

Thanks!

You will not see ID3 tag info when playing an MP3 CD in any MINI radio.

According to Lee, if you have the new MFSW then your radio is compatible. Don't have the new MFSW... I'd say it's a crapshoot. It might work, and it might not.

Given that this update just came out, I would bet that the units at Best Buy don't have the new firmware...
Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:23 PM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 05:18 PM
United Kingdom Male View WhiteNoiseMaker's Hyper Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
I guess to be sure I can put in a MP3 disc and see if the tags show

The tags don't show on mp3 cd's so you'd be wasting your time trying that. I'd say if it plays mp3 cds full stop the ID3 firmware for the ice>Link should work.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:27 PM
EverythingButThe Mini

United States
I DO have the MFSW but it is not with the phone/ Bluetooth button. I think those came out in the newer 05 builds. Hopefully it still works. Has anyone out there tried this new firmware with success (particular with reference to the ID3 display) in a car like mine yet? (2005 with Oct./Nov. 04 build, HK radio with MFSW but no phone button)

If I get it from Best Buy, though, iI figure it should still be OK if I just update the firmware. It may be easier to return it to Best Buy if there is a problem, as opposed to Dension! What you you all say?
Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:35 PM
MINI2 Regular

United States View LagunaSol's Chili Red & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Convertible Profile
If I get it from Best Buy, though, iI figure it should still be OK if I just update the firmware. It may be easier to return it to Best Buy if there is a problem, as opposed to Dension! What you you all say?

I agree with that point, but I didn't want the cradle, nor did I want to connect it in the trunk and run the wire, and that is the only model Best Buy carries.

So I ended up ordering mine (radio mount dock connection (no cradle)) directly from Dension. Should be on my doorstep when I get home.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:40 PM
EverythingButThe Mini

United States
My Audi mechanic was nice enough to give me his copy of the Bentley manual for the 2004 Mini (wow, is it a useful thng!) and on second thought, pulling the radio headunit doesn't seem like a horrendously complex thing...so I think I am going to do the radio mount after all. I didn't know Best Buy only carried the trunk mount model - thanks for letting me know and saving me a trip!

I know that the console is different on the 05 models, and I think a bit more difficult to remove than the 2004s. Are you planning on installing your ICE link yourself? If so, I'm all ears for any tips you care to pass on about head unit removal. I have a set of Torx screwdrivers, they are cheapies but they should work.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 11:20 PM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 11:18 AM
Canada
I haven't been on here in a while. I think I am still running fw 2.04 when I went to the dension site I can't find anymore updates.

Can someone let me know what the latest firmware is for an 02 cooper .. I dont want the text id3 tag display.

and where cna I get it?

thanks

Adam

Cooper Launch Edition # 7/500 Chili red , white roof
Old May 2nd, 2005, 11:37 PM
Just along for the ride
Send a message via AIM to Bugged Send a message via MSN to Bugged

United States View Bugged's Hyper Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
I know that the console is different on the 05 models, and I think a bit more difficult to remove than the 2004s. Are you planning on installing your ICE link yourself? If so, I'm all ears for any tips you care to pass on about head unit removal. I have a set of Torx screwdrivers, they are cheapies but they should work.

I've pulled the HU on both a 2003 and a 2005, the only real difference seemed to be the new coin trays and they way the snap in... In the end it's not hard to do, just a pain to do...

And Adam if you go back a page or two tops you'll find the link you seek..
Old May 4th, 2005, 02:31 AM
MINI Geek
Send a message via AIM to steebo777

United States View steebo777's Hyper Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
Well here's a new problem:

I installed my Ice-Link PLUS fine. Came with 2.07 installed on it, but after reading this thread and the info on the new BMW ID3 tag release 2B1, I thought I would install that update. Installed the update just as the instructions here say. The only difference is after it reset itself, it never asked me to turn off then on the ignition.

So after that I check to make sure it works fine, I go under the setup menu to turn the text option on. I select it and wait to see text on my HU screen, but it never shows up after following these instructions.

So I go about my merry way to listening to music but all of a sudden I can't access the Ice-Link UI. As a matter of fact it just has the song playing (with all of the info on the iPod screen of the song), but when I press CD6 on the HU, it skips for a second like it is selecting the menu, but I can't see the menu (as it is supposed to be on the HU screen).

I tried updating automatically using this method, however as soon as I plug in the iPod into the cable after playing the track, it goes to the first song in my library.

So here is what I believe is going on. I believe everything worked, installed and updated fine. SInce I have a July '04 2005 model, my HU does not have the compatability for text display. However, the Ice-Link is sending info to the HU for me to see the menu. Problem is, my HU won't display it. So... what should I do?

UPDATE
So I used the Dension manual that lists all of the menus, played around with the HU, and basically found where I was in the setup menu blindly. Somehow I actually deselected the text display option blindly and got the Dension UI back up and running.

END RESULT: DO NOT select the text display option under the FW 2B1 Dension menu if you have an 2005 MINI that was built before January 2005. You will experience the same problem I did and will kick yourself repeatadly.

Last edited by steebo777; May 4th, 2005 at 02:59 AM.
Old May 4th, 2005, 02:40 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United States View matthewz's Chili Red & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
Hey..

Steebo,

I've started a thread in NAM on this, should come up under "new topics" in left-hand menu bar. If not, search my id, matthewz.

Essentially, your Dension UI and menu is now replicated on the HU, ONE LINE AT A TIME.

When you start up, you get the first line of the Dension iPod "Splash screen" --
"WARNING!" (you know the rest)
From there, CD6 will bring up the Dension UI on your HU. Cycle up/down with taps on trk advance, hold to select. There is additional functionality, but it's a tad difficult at first. No documentation currently available from Dension, but you can now browse via artist, play albums, and genre browse. So, when you see "Artists", "Play Album", and such, you are browsing the iPod. CD1-5 still seem to access playlists correctly. When in play, ID3 tag info will still appear on iPod screen, just like before, in same good ol' Dension UI. Just no IceLink menu options anymore. I would go straight to iPod UI, and leave it there, personally.

YMMV,

Matthew z.
Old May 4th, 2005, 03:01 AM
MINI Geek
Send a message via AIM to steebo777

United States View steebo777's Hyper Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
Quote: Originally Posted by matthewz
Steebo,

I've started a thread in NAM on this, should come up under "new topics" in left-hand menu bar. If not, search my id, matthewz.

Essentially, your Dension UI and menu is now replicated on the HU, ONE LINE AT A TIME.

When you start up, you get the first line of the Dension iPod "Splash screen" --
"WARNING!" (you know the rest)
From there, CD6 will bring up the Dension UI on your HU. Cycle up/down with taps on trk advance, hold to select. There is additional functionality, but it's a tad difficult at first. No documentation currently available from Dension, but you can now browse via artist, play albums, and genre browse. So, when you see "Artists", "Play Album", and such, you are browsing the iPod. CD1-5 still seem to access playlists correctly. When in play, ID3 tag info will still appear on iPod screen, just like before, in same good ol' Dension UI. Just no IceLink menu options anymore. I would go straight to iPod UI, and leave it there, personally.

YMMV,

Matthew z.

Thanks for the help, but as I said my HU is from July '04 (still a 2005 model though). Yours was built in March 2005. That is where I believe the problem is for situations like mine.

Old May 4th, 2005, 03:07 AM
MINI2 Regular

Canada
Well I got the firmware sent to me from a tech support guy at dension. Isn't that kinda ridiculous?

the fact that you have to email and ask for it?

ah well
2.04 works maybe I should just leav eit

Cooper Launch Edition # 7/500 Chili red , white roof
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , , , , ,

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mini2.com/forum/first-generation-interior-ice/77777-ice-link-plus.html
Posted By For Type Date
Ipod in my MiNI - Seite 7 - New Mini IG Forum Post #0 Refback Mar 23rd, 2009 08:33 PM
Ipod in my MiNI - Seite 5 - New Mini IG Forum This thread Refback Mar 23rd, 2009 08:31 PM
Bekijk topic - Ice link plus geen weergave van nummer/artiest. This thread Refback Mar 14th, 2009 02:55 PM
MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring - IceLink Plus user? Want ID3 tags on HU? Read here first.. This thread Refback Feb 8th, 2009 07:10 PM
MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring - IceLink Plus user? Want ID3 tags on HU? Read here first.. This thread Refback Dec 19th, 2008 04:32 PM
Untitled document This thread Refback Dec 14th, 2008 12:30 PM
MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring - IceLink Plus user? Want ID3 tags on HU? Read here first.. This thread Refback Nov 27th, 2008 12:35 AM